Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'

ego45
13 years ago

Looking for the first hands information about this plant.

In particular interesting to know if it is as agressive as carexes and should I expect it to be evergreen in 6b.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

I notice that Plant Delights Nursery carries it (listed for Zone 5), and since I
    plan to be visiting them in North Carolina this summer, I'll add your question
    to my list.

Carl

• ego45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Carl.
    Next year I'll know the firsthand answers to both of my questions- local HD had them in annual section :-))
    The only thing surprizes me that noone but you responded. Is it rare for a reason or just new?

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Well, I googled it, and since I don't grow it, or at least I don;t THINK I grow it, I decided not to chime in.

Re its potential aggressiveness or lack thereof - I'm trying some Juncus effusus (corkscrew rush) this year, but I''m putting it in a soggy pot just to be sure I don't regret planting it.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I sorta grow A. gramineus 'Variegatus' in my zone. I found a very rootbound pot of it at Walmart (figures) four years ago with no zone info on it. I divided it into several pieces and put it in a difficult spot. (roadside salt, spring wet, part-shade, weeds, snowplowers who need glasses). There was some left last year, but I don't think I saw it this year. I definitely didn't have to worry about aggressiveness. I wanted it to spread and fill up the area. Don't know if it was my zone or other hazards.

As to its evergreen-ness, yes it was. Whatever survived was still visible in early spring.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

george, sorry, i just saw your post. i grow this and Love it, around a moist area. it is very happy but defly not invasive.I divide it ev yr. Great edging plant for lighting a pathway. If it was not evergreen(I can't remember), it went a LONG time before dormancy.
    best,
    mindy

• ego45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

George, I haven't grown it although I really like it because I didn't think I had a moist spot for it.

• Monique z6a CT
    13 years ago

I grow it George and I wouldn't call it invasive or aggressive. It must be evergreen b/c I usually can't figure out when to cut it back (so I don't) since it always looks good. One clump surrounds a large container garden so it probably gets supplemental water every time I drench the pot. The other clump doesn't get extra water and is in quite a bit of sun and always looks good. It is in the photo below from last fall:

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

aw monique,
    the gentian? plumbago? AND the blue birds?
    NO FAIR!
    brilliant vignette.
    best,
    mindy

• ego45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Monique.
    Funny thing is...I already planted mine next to the patch of gentiana scabra :-))

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

ha ha! get her, george!!
    best,
    mindy

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

btw, while it's certainly no match for the brilliant gentian pairing,mine is an edging skirt for ligularia Britt Marie Crawford,and is valuable from april through october!
    best,
    mindy

• ego45
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mindy, isn't BMC eating dimunitive 'Ogon' alive? Or you constantly divide/reduce it? I think that for the same/similar effect hakonechloa 'Aureola' may work better. No?

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Well that's an interesting suggestion, George. Interesting to me, because I've just paired Hakonechloa (although I'm using 'Solid Gold') with Ligularia dentata (although I'm using 'Dark Beauty' which is the absolute best ligularia for foliage, IMHO). Yes they need a little space between them, but the combination of color, form and texture are super. And all this in a shady corner at the top of a stone wall. My hakone grass is still small and a bit wispy, but when it grows up it should hold its own against the ligularia.

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

no, george, each holds its own quite well.
    best,
    mindy