idabean2

Garden Vision Epimediums open days

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

are Fri-Sun May 8-10, 10-4

" May 15-17 "

Saturday May 23 10-4 later flowering Chinese species

their website is earthlink.net/darellpro

I've been wanting to go since I learned about this place this winter. Is anyone thinking of going?

They have an amazing selection. The prices seem modest, but I see the pots are small.

Don't know anything else about them, except a couple of good GWebbers mentioned them.

I just look forward to seeing a different nursery!

Comments (11)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Where is it located, Marie?

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    13 years ago

Marie, I had it on my calendar to go the weekend of the 15th after you mentioned this nursery on a different post. I emailed for their catalog and their inventory is absolutely amazing. Something came up and we have to be in CT that weekend so I guess I'll be waiting until next year. Bummer. I was so looking forward to going.

Nhbabs, they are at 63 Williamsville Rd, Hubbardston, MA

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I've been wanting to go for a few years, but haven't. Not sure about this year yet, but it doesn't look good. I've ordered from them before and have an order this year already. I've loved what I received.

• sedum37
    13 years ago

I just got some epimediums at the Tower Hill Primroses and Daffodils show last week. Looks like an interesting place. I put the link below for easy access:

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Vision Epimediums Link

• sedum37
    13 years ago

Did anyone go?

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

I went last Friday (passed it twice - third time was the charm). I was a little thrown when someone posted that the prices were "modest" due to my own naivety. I was very surprised to see some of these small pots priced at $20.00, $35.00, $50.00 and $65.00 - but of course those are for those much, much, more savvy than I am! Prices in the catalogue went up to $300.00. I ended buying 8 plants ranging from $5.00 to $8.00 - they do have a quite a few in the lower price range. The plants are really pretty - so delicate looking yet they should be "hardy". The staff was very helpful. The pots are small but 4 out of the 8 I bought spread. They had some other shade plants and few for the sun but I bought only epimediums - probably more of the common variety (the woman told me a couple of these could probably be found in select nursuries):

Alpinum
    Alpinum - 'Shrimp Girl'
    Rubrum
    Grandiflorum f. flavescens #4
    Pubigeum
    Youngianum Niveum
    Youngianum 'John Gallagher'
    Sasakii

They will give you a catalogue (with a very nice picture inset) on arrival so you can look up the plants you are interested in when you are there. I think I bought more than I need because of the distance but it was a very pleasant drive. The epimediums and other plants are on display for purchase, the nursury is in the back so you can see how the plants you are interested look in the ground and a nice perennial garden to stroll through. The whole area is not very large. The phone number is 978-249-3863.

I did notice in the catalogue that this is the last year the event will be held in Hubbardston. They'll be in Sharon, CT May 15th: Granby, CT May 22-23rd: Boylston, MA June 5th; West Dover, VT June 25th; Reboth, MA July 17th; PA in August and at Tower Hill Botanical Garden (where ?) on Sept. 11th.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

Where are they going to be in Sharon?

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

According to their catalogue, they will be in Sharon, CT at the "Trade Secrets Rare Plant & Garden Antique Sale" on May 15th. You may want to call to verify.

• sedum37
    13 years ago

Zahzeen thanks for the detailed report! It is a long ride for me too and the weekends are so busy I just don't want to make the trip if it wasn't worth it.

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

I asked the woman at Garden Visions for a recommendation of other nursuries in the area and she suggested since I was headed back toward Boston to check out Blanchette Gardens in Carlise, MA. I just went on their website and they have about 30 epimediums for sale (as well many other varieties of plants) . I don't know the size of Blanchette's pots but the plants I paid $6.00 for are $8.95 - $10.95 at Blanchette's. The $6.00 pots I bought at Garden Visions are square 2 1/2" and 3" deep. Just FYI.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I'm sure Blanchette's pots are one, if not two, sizes bigger. I must have a hundred- when I go out I'll measure. His is a local treasure. Grows all his own, sells all his own, knows his own. It is right near Great Brook Farm, where you can stop and have an ice cream and see the cows on the other side of the glass wall in the small ice cream shop.

It's a coop with the state now, and they charge a modest fee for daily parking. It was free for ice cream stops, however- like up to a half hour or so.

Now, that's what I call a good day.