Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

Coastal Maine Botanical Garden

I took a trip up the coast to the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden yesterday. It's very early in the season for this garden. Spring there is about 2 weeks earlier than it is in Central Massachusetts. However, I was going in order to facilitate arrangements for a group trip I am organizing for later this summer. Even so I was able to get some good photos of the garden and the seascape off of Ocean Point in East Boothbay. Click on the link to the slide show below to see the pics. Here's a sample.

Slide Show Coastal Maine.

Steve

Comments (9)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Really nice photos, Steve! (That rhubarb leaf is just stunning.)

Thanks for a look at this garden in early spring.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Haven't been there yet, so great to see photos. Early spring is probably not when most people visit there, so it is very interesting to see the spring photos. I loved the photo of the Thyme among others. What was that growing on? You don't happen to have more photos of the coastline do you? Thanks for sharing! :-)

• Steve Massachusetts
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Thyme is growing on a garden structure that is about 7 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It's made of squares that are sort of put together like a Lego structure. I imagine in the summer it's full of different colors due to the different varieties of Thyme that are planted. I was surprised to find any color on it this early.

Babs, I can't remember which pictures I put where, but I do have a few more photos of the rocky shore. If you are in the Boothbay Harbor area it is worth the short drive over to East Boothbay. At the very end of the point you can see Ram's Island Lighthouse. There are public parking places and a public walkway along the shore. Beautiful scenery at no charge.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    9 years ago

Lovely slide show, Steve! Lots of great textures and shapes - hairy and convoluted leaves and fiddleheads and a nice feeling of place. I've had the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden in my sights for a while, ever since I learned that Bill Cullina had moved there from the New England Wildflower Society.

I wonder if you can get there by ferry to make the trip perfect...

Claire

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Steve, great photo, look at how blue that water is! That garden structure of that size with different varieties of Thyme on it, sounds so interesting. Some people are so creative in the garden.

Claire, that's one of the reasons I haven't gone, is the long ride. And I did notice a number of native plants in Steve's photos and it reminded me that Bill Cullina was there. I hope I will get there one of these days. A ferry ride from Boston would be great!

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Sun, May 4, 14 at 16:17

• moliep
    9 years ago

Thanks, Steve, for the early spring look at the Coast Maine Botanical Garden. We've only been there in the summer and so never saw the beauty of early spring. One striking feature shown in many of your photos is the see-through-into-the-distance view that we missed with our August visit.

I'm sure your summer tour will be a great success!

Molie

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve for sharing photos. I've been there in summer and fall and am planning on heading up there this spring. I had high aspirations of going this winter, but somehow that thought didn't seem so great with this cold, awful winter! I'm excited to check it out in a few weeks!

If anyone is interested in more photos I can put in the links to my web albums for the other 2 seasons, but didn't want to hijack Steve's thread. It really is such a nice garden. Hard to believe it is so young with what they've accomplished already. Very well planned and lots of fun!

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

Thank you, Steve. Very nice pictures and best of luck with your group tour. I hope to visit there before autumn, so thanks for the preview.

Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Thyme, I'd love to see CMBG in other seasons.