Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lschibley

I have a Camelia Bloom!

lschibley
13 years ago

From April 30, 2010

This is the first winter in the ground (planted last fall) and I'm so excited to have a bloom. I can't say that the plant looks like it is thriving, but I am hoping it becomes something special after it is established with a little TLC and luck. I did want to ask...all of the buds higher than about 9 inches above the ground didn't produce flowers. Will that be typical? Is it a sign that it may not be happy where it is, or is it too early to tell?

Does anyone have pictures of spring blooming camelias to share. I'm curious how mine compares.

Thanks in advance!

From April 30, 2010

Comment (1)

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Congratulations! I know the feeling. Is it possible that the buds below the nine inch level were covered with snow during the coldest weather and so were protected? What variety is your plant?

I had good luck this year as well. I took the first two photos (April Rose and April Dawn) a couple of weeks ago. It was the second year in the ground for both and the first time they bloomed. The last one (April Remembered) was from last year but that plant had about 30 blooms this year and they all opened and looked the same. That plant is about 12 years old. All three (plus my fall blooming "Snow Flurry") are pushing a lot of new growth now.

I feed now with Mir-acid, but any acid plant food will do.

Good luck!

Bill

Camellia "April Rose"

Camellia "April Dawn"

Camellia "April Remembered"