Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamasalvo

Need help revamping a slope

mamasalvo
10 years ago

Have a mostly shady slope with water run off from main road about 150 ft long by 50 feet high. We originally planted 8 Pear trees in a row as a block that are mature now and underneath many perennials. At the bottom of the slope is a rock lined dry creek bed lined with hostas, day lilies, iris, ferns and astilbe. The rest of the slope is a mixture of plants and grasses in the sunnier areas and they do well. the soil is fill- part rock, clay, and sand. The problem is we are away every weekend in the summer and we want to reduce the large amount of perennials that need care, deadheading, cleaning, etc. with shrubs and I thought it would look more pulled together if I
Chose maybe just one or two shrub variety to fill in. I know an obvious choice may be Rhodos or azaleas and they are fairly inexpensive to add small ones and remove perennials as they grow but looking for other ideas for shrubs. Thanx in advance for any ideas.

Comments (6)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Can you add a photo? I always find it easier to make suggestions when I can see the area being considered.

Is salt an issue with the road runoff?

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Nothing fruiting would be worth your while. Why not try lilacs?

• mamasalvo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the slope. There are some lilacs at the top but thinking of shrubs that would not overwhelm the trees. Thanx

• Penelope
    10 years ago

Not the fastest growing thing in the world, but microbiota (Siberian cypress) is nice; doesn't need full sun, evergreen, doesn't need much pruning. It's like rug juniper bug doesn't need full sun.

Pretty, and cheap, would be euonymous varieties.

But how much height do you want?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

In the sunnier spots you could try Fothergilla. Here's one of my F. 'Mt. Airy'. The flowers have a light honey scent and the fall colors are a gorgeous mix of red, orange and gold. Fairly plain in the summer though.

Variegated red- or gold-twigged dogwood would look nice in all seasons. The flowers are not noticeable, but the leaves and colored winter stems are lovely. You would want to prune once a year to keep stem color lively.

i agree that rhodies would work well there, either evergreen ones for both flowers and winter green or deciduous ones for spring or summer scented flowers and nice fall color.

Hydrangea paniculata cultivars are easy care and long blooming, and are available in several colors and heights.

You could also ask for suggestions either here or on the perennials forum for perennials that require less work if you like having perennials. Not all perennials need much work to look nice.

• timbz6
    10 years ago

nice looking slope!