Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

5th Annual billerica Plant Swap, All Areas Welcome, Final Details

littleonefb
13 years ago

Hello All,

This is the new post to firm up all the details for the Swap.

Everyone is welcome, with or without any plants, seedlings, divisions to bring.

Don't be shy because you are new to gardening. I promise there will be plenty of seedlings and divisions just for the taking.

I will have plenty of wintersown seedlings and some divisions that will be just for the taking and I'm sure that others will as well.

All of these plants, divisions and seedlings need a home, so please come and enjoy the experience and take home new "babies" for your gardens.

This is a very informal swap. Those that want to post what they may or are bringing are more than welcome to.

And, don't be afraid to list your wants as well or say that you would like particular plants, seedlings that are being brought.

Those that want to ask if there is interest in any plants before they dig them up and divide them are more that welcome to do so. Better to ask if anyone is interested in them or wants them before spending the time digging them up. potting them and bringing them to the swap and then having to bring them home again.

Oh, yes, if you have any gardening books, magazines, pots you don't want, left over seeds, garden supplies of any kind that you want to bring to give away, don't be afraid to bring them. I'm sure someone will want them.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING SMETHING TO TAKE YOUR PLANTS AND SEEDLINGS HOME IN; BOXES, BOX COVERS TRAYS. I DON'T HAVE ANY THAT I CAN GIVE AWAY AT THE SWAP. I NEED ALL OF MINE.

DATE: Saturday June 5, 2010

TIME: 10AM until everyone wants to leave

RAIN DATE: Sunday June 6, 2010

RAIN DATE TIME: 10AM until everyone wants to leave

LOCATION: Billerica MA. I will e-mail address and directions the week of the swap to all who are planning to attend.

The only thing I can't promise is good weather. I hope we will not have to worry about rain, but, as I said above, I do have a carport we can be under if we have to deal with a bit of mist or a chance of showers.

So let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have to deal will heavy rain and need the rain date.

Besides seedlings and some divisions and small plants I have the following to use.

1. Huge table to put various non plant items on

2. several coolers to keep ice and cold drinks in

3. at least 6-8 chairs, but anyone that wants to bring some folding chairs is welcome to do so.

4. name tags, I should have enough, but will holler out if I find we need more

5. a huge table cover for the table I have

6. a carport to sit under and keep the sun off of us

7. a huge yard and plenty of space to move and put out the plants and seedlings.

8. plenty of parking for everyone.

9. I will provide coffee and the fixins and cups for the coffee

Which now brings me to the volunteer part of the swap. Especially for those that feel "strange" coming because they don't have anything to bring.

So that we can really have a good time and enjoy the swap, anyone that can bring the following items, it will be much appreciated by all of us.

1. ice, to keep drinks cold

2. napkins

3. plates

4. plastic knives, forks spoons

5. any kind of "goodies" that you would like to bring. cookies, pastry, fruit, etc. Denise is bringing a coffee cake

6. cold drinks

7. plant tags in case someone forgot to label their plants

8. hot/cold cups

10. sharpie pen to label plants that may need to be labeled.

If I missed something on the list or you have a question just holler.

EVERYONE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO EMAIL ME FOR DIRECTIONS AND PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR GW NAME IN THE MESSAGE SO I WILL KNOW WHO YOU ARE. YOU CAN EMAIL ME THROUGH MY MEMBER PAGE ON GW.

Fran

Comments (61)

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have just potted up the following seedlings to add to my list

malva zebrina
    aster purple burst, seedlings are small
    morning glory knoila black
    morning glory aomaraski
    morning glory jaimie lynn

have some canna tubers potted up and growing, forgot to mark what color the tubers where when i saved them last year.

They are either red or a yellow orange.

they are potted up with 2 tubers in a container.

Fran

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    13 years ago

I would like to come too. I will have Iris 'Immortality' for sure and will bring them bare root.

I can also bring ice and cold drinks. How many are you expecting so I know quantity?

WG

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Hi Fran and everyone else going to the swap!

I'll be bring from Michelle (aka "ontheteam" or the crazy plant lady) some of her heirloom tomatoes (the seeds were donated by Trudi) hopefully for some people to "adopt". Whoever adopts the plants gets to have the plant with the promise to save some seeds and send them to Michelle later on so she can use them for her Childrens Hospital benefit in 2011. I'll take some copies of Trudi's "save the seeds" instructions to the swap. I have 'Arkansas Traveler (Pink; 6-8 ounces); Black Prince (Purplish/Black; 2-3 ounces); two Clear Pink Early (Pink; 4-8 ounces); Engish Rose (Pink; large - couldn't find a better description); Guernsey Island (Pink; grape size). Hopefully, we can find homes for these and if the plants grow, the "adoptors" get tomatoes and the Childrens Hospital gets the seeds.

I'll also be bringing mostly from WS so plants are still small:
    Columbine (? variety)
    English Daisy
    Cup & Saucer
    Clustered Bellflower
    Sidacea 'Party Girl'
    Sweet William
    Solomon Seal
    Hosta
    Celery
    Squash (another variety I lost the tag)

Probably one or two more things and oh yes, banana bread. Look forward to see everyone there!

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HI Whitegarden,

Those iris sound just beautiful and I know at least 3-4 people, including myself that would love some of them.

I expect about 20 people and possibly more.

Marlene,

I have at least 1 person that will take the tomatoes and save the seeds for Michelle.

And, I'm betting Michelle's "little assistant" would be more than happy to help out with the tomatoes and save the seeds for her.

Sweet William, My friend who is always here and helping me with the swap and my WS partner, will love some of them.

Fran

• jasminetea
    13 years ago

Hi Janice,

I did not find a link to your e-mail address on Gardenweb so I am posting here. I am the lady who brought the "tropical plant bulbs" to the swap last year. Fran is correct in guessing that they are cannas.

I am very happy that you liked them. The foliage is pretty dramatic with banana like leaves. They multiply pretty quickly. The cluster from which I divided the bulbs/rhizomes which I brought last year was so large, I had a hard time carrying it after I dug it up.

I'm not sure at the moment whether I will be able to attend the swap, but have a great time!

Diane

• lise_b
    13 years ago

Hi Fran,

I also will be coming! I would love some of your morning glories. :-)

My gaura reseeded itself like mad, so if anybody wants gaura babies, it's a lovely plant with arching 3' stems that flowers for weeks and weeks.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diane,

Hope you will be able to make it to the swap, we will miss you if you don't.

Greening,

Looking forward to seeing you again. Email me, if you need directions again.
    Will put aside some morning glory seedlings for you.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a few days left before the swap on Saturday.

STILL IN NEED OF THE FOLLOWING

1. PLATES

2. KNIFES, FORKS, SPOONS

3. HOT/COLD CUPS FOR COLD DRINKS

GOODIES BEING BROUGHT SO FAR

JANICE - COFFEE CAKE AND NAPKINS

AGNES - CHEESE STUFFED PHYLO TRIANGLES. TRUST ME THEY ARE AWESOME.

FRAN - COFFEE, COFFEE CUPS AND THE FIXINS FOR COFFEE.

MICHELLE - FRUIT SALAD

LAURA - PASTA SALAD WITH VEGGIES AND SHARPIES

WHITEGARDEN - ICE AND COLD DRINKS

FRAN

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops, missed Marlene/Zahzeen, sorry about that,

She's bringing a banana bread

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the last of the list of seedlings I will have for the swap.

Bush champion cucumber perfect for containers as it grows in a bush and produces great size cukes

Tomato list.

These are really small seedlings and a lot of them are just about starting to get some true leaves on them. Usually I have good size tomato seedlings, but for some reason they have been very slow to germinate this year. I'm thinking that the weather has been so strange that some of my wintersown seedlings are just very slow to germinate and start growing.

The should be fine though in a few weeks, and I've planted tomato seedlings in good size containers as late as July 4th weekend and they took off and grew like gangbusters once they got planted.

These will be for the swap,

large cherry red
    black cherry
    xmas grape
    elebrity
    sweet 100
    white wonder
    green zebra
    cherokee purple
    yellow cherry

DON'T FORGET TO EMAIL ME THROUGH GW IF YOU NEED DIRECTIONS

DON'T FORGET TO BRING SOMETHING TO TAKE YOUR PLANTS AND SEEDLINGS HOME IN.

• Started_with_bean
    13 years ago

Hi Fran,

I'll bring the paper plates along with the apps.

Can you please set aside a large cherry red tomato seedling for me? My little guy wants to see about growing one this year.

Also, how many of the Talent mix gazanias would you like?

Can't wait!

Agnes

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Agnes,

Thanks for bringing paper plates and the napkins.

Put aside a large cherry red tomato plant for you, it is just getting real leaves on it now.

Would love whatever you can spare of the gazania and will share them with Heidi.

I have a container set aside for you with about 15 or so seedlings in it of the gazania talent mix to swap with you.

I'm looking forward to the swap too, just hope those, now predicted thunderstorms, hold off till late in the afternoon.

Fran

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    13 years ago

Hi Fran,
    I'll bring cups for cold drinks and I'm not sure what kind of goodies yet.
    I have the following:
    blue mistflower
    sedum stone crop
    pink phlox(tall)
    lemon balm
    spiderwort
    peppermint
    japanese spurge
    Silene armeria
    monarda(red)
    chinese chives

Sandra

• cindala
    13 years ago

I have a bridal wreath spirea bush that needs a new home. I can dig it up/divide it and bring it if anyone is interested. It's nice - needs some thinning out probably.

I'll have to cut it back so I can get it in the car - it's probably 5'x4' now. Unless someone wants to come to Melrose and take the whole thing home. I'll help dig. Shallow roots so it's pretty easy dig it up.

I don't have any seedlings. I'm probably bringing a few divisions of
    Stella d'Oro daylily
    Siberian iris - Caesar's brother
    Plain green hostas - good for fill between more colorful ones
    Tradescantia (spiderwort) white - At least I think that's what it is. Could be a weed, but pretty sure it's tradescantia. It's blooming now. I'm still a newbie.

Cindy

• cindala
    13 years ago

Fran,

I will bring knives, forks, and spoons. Looks like those are still on the list.

I'll bring a 24 pack of (non chilled) bottled water too.

This is all new to me. I've never been to a plant swap. This sounds like loads of fun. My husband Drake and I are looking forward to it.

Cindy

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Susan, so glad you are coming to the swap.
    Thanks for bringing the cups and whatever goodies you decide on will be more than welcome

I'd love some of the tall pink phlox and I think Jean would as well.

Cindy Welcome to you and your husband and looking forward to meeting both of you at the swap.

Trust me when I say that once you've attended a plant swap, you will be hooked on attending them, especially in the spring.

Thanks for bringing the knives, forks and spoons and the bottled water as well.

Keeping fingers crossed that those predicted thunderstorms stay away till late in the day.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for bringing the "goodies and supplies" the list is complete so anything anyone else wants to bring, besides plants, seedlings, plant and garden related items, seeds is more than welcome to.

There are more things potted up that a friend is bringing.

forsythia seedlings
    balloon flower seedlings
    daisy divisions
    bleeding heart

and I forgot about the 2 japanese maple seedlings that I have as well.

Fran

• fgirl21
    13 years ago

I have a sedum 'Daphne' that doesn't work in my space. Is someone interested?

Also think I have a small vitex that needs to be rehomed (but let me check the tag on it first!!)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Good morning all,

I'll be coming with mainly divisions of plants this year, not too many ws babies left.

I should have

a bright pink astlbe
    coreopsis zagreb
    sedum-low growing ground cover
    helianthus lemon queen
    coreopsis unknown
    var. kmotgg
    malva
    persicaria volunteers
    european ginger
    perennial geranium
    coreopsis rosea

I'll post more if and when I get out to dig some more....

Fgirl, I would like to have the sedum daphne please

Fran, I will bring utensils for the swap day.

Lisa

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Cindy,

I would like to try a division of the Bridal Wreath. I have an area on the border of my yard with a row of trees/bushes (not sure exactly what they are) right before the sidewalk. A few years ago some car jumped the curb and crashed into the bushes killing a few so now I have this open space among the rest of the trees/bushes. (No the car didn't stop - it just backed out and sped away). Anyway, I would like to try the Bridal Wreath in that spot. My only concern would be if it overtook the sidewalk - if it grows circular (my ignorance - sorry), it may not work - but if I could manage it so that it grew into the yard, that would be great. I looked up the plant on the internet and really like it but I'll leave it up to you if you think based on my description it's worthwhile to try. Thank you.

• gardenluvbug_inma
    13 years ago

Hello;

littleonefb,
    I would love some sweetpea either streamers/high scent, morning glory and the celebrity tomato seedling if possible.
    I'm emailing you today to get directions....

SandraGW, would love the mondara-red.

thanks,
    Janice.

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Hi all,

Not sure how this works but if it makes a difference (sorry for my naivety), I'd like Pink Astilbe (Lisa), Blue Mistflower (Sandra) and Pink & White striped phlox (Janice). Thanks.

• fgirl21
    13 years ago

Lisa- the daphne is yours

And for others - There IS a vitex that needs a new home. Any interest? Don't want to dig it up and traumatize it if it's only coming back home with me!

Michelle

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Janice- you get mondara(red). Id like Pink/White striped phlox.
    Lisa(ishareflowers)- IÂd like coreopsis rosea.
    zahzeen- Blue Mistflower for you. IÂd like Sidacea and English Daisy.
    Fran and Jean- tall pink phlox for both of you.

Thanks,
    Sandra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HELLO ALL,

START CROSSING YOUR FINGERS AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP OUT WITH THIS WEATHER FORECAST FOR BOTH SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. IT ISN'T SOUNDING TO GOOD.

I'M KEEPING A CAREFUL EYE ON THE WEATHER FORECASTS AND AM HOPING THAT THE WEATHER FORECAST WILL IMPROVE.

I LISTENED TO ALL THREE TV STATIONS THURSDAY NIGHT AND THEY ALL HAD 3 DIFFERENT FORECASTS FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.

BOTH DO INVOLVE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS, BUT ONE IS SAYING ALL DAY, ONE IS SAYING MORNING AND ONE IS SAYING EARLY MORNING AND LATE DAY, WITH A BREAK IN THE MIDDLE.

SOME SHOWERS WE CAN DEAL WITH, THE PLANTS WILL LOVE THE WATER AND WE DO HAVE THE CARPORT TO BE UNDER AND STAY RELATIVELY DRY.

IT'S THE THUNDERSTORMS THAT ARE THE CONCERN AND A HOUSE THAT ISN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE TO COME INSIDE IF WE DID GET A STORM.

SO MY PLAN IS TO MAKE A DECISION AROUND 6PM OF FRIDAY NIGHT AS TO WHETHER THE SWAP DATE WILL CHANGE TO RAIN DATE OF SUNDAY, OR WILL ACTUALLY NEED TO BE POSTPONED A WEEK.

I WILL POST ON THIS THREAD WHAT THE DECISION IS, AND WILL START A NEW THREAD IF THERE ARE CHANGES AND I WILL EMAIL EVERYONE ABOUT ANY CHANGES IF THERE ARE ANY.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON NEXT WEEK FOR THE SWAP, IF THE WEATHER ENDS UP BEING REALLY BAD THIS WEEKEND?

SHOULD WE JUST CHANCE IT WITH THE WEATHER AND DEAL WITH WHAT WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH?

WOULD LOVE SOME IMPUT ON THIS DECISION. MOTHER NATURE DOESN'T WANT TO COOPERATE WITH US AND REALISTICALLY, NEXT WEEKEND COULD END UP BEING BAD AS WELL.

AND TO THINK THAT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK, THEY WHERE SAYING THE WEATHER WAS GOING TO BE SUNNY, AND PLEASANT.

FRAN

• fgirl21
    13 years ago

I say chance it and meet.

The forecasts seem to call for rain on/off and - unless it's a deluge with lots of lightning - we can handle it. It's harder to deal with those transplanted seedlings for a week than weather a bit of rain!

• lauravanderberg_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!

I am on for tomorrow, if others are up for it. The weather prediction I checked said that thunder storm would come in early afternoon.

Fran, Would you reserve a Cherokee Purple tomato and the Knoila Black Morning Glory for me? Thank you!

WG, I would love a division of the iris immortality, if you have enough.

Sandra, the Chinese Chives sound exciting!

Lisa, Will you bring me some of your European Ginger?

Thank you, everyone!

Fran, I hope to see you and everyone else soon!

Laura

• Started_with_bean
    13 years ago

I also vote for chancing it. It's not going to be all day rain, so why not? A little water won't hurt us or the plants.

• katllama
    13 years ago

Hiya. A bit late to the party but wasn't sure what I'd have time to dig beforehand.

I have sky blue bearded iris. I have about 18 good sized fan divisions and a handful of baby fans.

I have 2-3 thornless blackberry plants, I believe the parent plant was originally the "chester" variety but it's been 4+ years in the ground.

Laura if no one has claimed it, I'd love your Hirishiki willow. Does sweet woodruff require shade?

Lisa if there is any coreopsis rosea leftover I'd love a little bit and possibly the perennial geranium.

WhiteGarden, If you have any of your Iris Immortality that's not spoken for, I'd love one or three.

Janice, if you have any of your varigated ribbon grass not spoken for, I can put that to use.

Hi Michelle, is your Vitex a shrub or tree? (have only read of it as a small tree)

If someone wants coreopsis "tickseed", bright orangey-yellow, I have 4 in my walk-way that I can dig up on Saturday morning.

Any who wants, I have tons and tons and tons and tons of walk-on-me thyme and mother of thyme (can't tell which is which, but both smell like "pizza") It's taken over so only agree to take it if you're either a) keeping it in a container or b) willing for it to take over into your lawn. It does get covered with bees when blooming so you can't "walk on it" when it's blooming.

Oh and I have oregano. It smells awesome. It spreads (some) but I've had it for 5 years and it's just getting to be too big last year and this year.

Not sure what I'll bring for food Fran. I'm thinking cauliflower fried rice and a bottle of coke zero and probably a bottle of cranberry lime club soda.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far, I agree to chance it for Saturday and the latest forecast at noon has rain most of sunday anyways.

I've been watering seedlings now for 2 weeks and some just this week. They need to go to their new homes.

Keep your fingers crossed.

MICHELLE,

the trusty assistant's tray of seedlings is waiting for her and your cukes. the peppers have barely grown from sprouting and will let you decide if you want them.

AGNES - Container of gazania

JANICE -
    white foxglove
    sweet pea
    tomato celebrity
    morning glory

LAURA
    white foxglove
    alyssum gold dust
    tomato cherokee purple
    morning glory knoila black
    small amount of lychnis vesuvius that neon orange blooming perennial

Katllama/Kathy,

you are making me hungry already for tomorrow and you WS containers are waiting for you. They are calling your name and saying "Kathy, take me home please."

Agnes, you are right, the plants will love the water and none of us are or related to the wicked witch of the west. We won't melt.

Fran

• katllama
    13 years ago

Michelle, if your Vitex is that beautiful blue flowered plant, I'd love one.

Thanks Kathy

• sandragw(6b_MA)
    13 years ago

Laura- you ll get chinese chives, Id love a Pink Obedient Plant from you.
    WhiteGarden - I would also like a division of the iris immortality if there is any left.
    Katlama- I would like coreopsis "tickseed" and mother of thyme( I will keep it in a container) from you if possible.
    Thank you,
    Sandra

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WE WILL HAVE THE SWAP AS PLANNED ON SATURDAY (TOMORROW).

WE WILL DEAL WITH WHATEVER MOTHER NATURE DECIDES TO THROW AT US, WE ARE GARDENERS AND CAN DO IT.

TIME IS THE SAME, 10AM OR THERE ABOUTS, IF YOU COME A BIT LATER THAT IS FINE.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING SOMETHING TO TAKE YOUR PLANTS HOME IN.

IF YOU HAVE ANY FOLDING CHAIRS THAT WON'T GET RUINED IF THEY GET WET, PLEASE BRING SOME ALONG.
    I HAVE 8 WE CAN USE, BUT WE MAY NEED MORE, ESPECIALLY IF IT RAINS ON US.
    BUT WE DO HAVE THE ROOF OF THE CARPORT AS WELL.

OH, MIGHT WANT TO BRING SOME BUG SPRAY AS WELL, THOSE BITING THINGS WILL BE WAITING FOR US AFTER THE RAIN.

IF YOU STILL NEED DIRECTIONS, PLEASE EMAIL ME THROUGH MY MEMBER PAGE AND I WILL GIVE THEM TO YOU. DON'T FORGET TO TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM AND HIGHWAYS AROUND YOU SO I WILL KNOW HOW TO HAVE YOU COME.

I WILL ALSO GIVE YOU MY PHONE NUMBER WHEN I SEND DIRECTIONS.

SEE YOU ALL IN THE MORNING.

FRAN

• fgirl21
    13 years ago

Kathy (Katlama)

The vitex is a tree - 5'-10'. It came from a nursery - was given to me but I can't do it justice so I'd rather it be rehomed.

It's still a wee babe so you've got years before you worry about a 5' height! She's all potted up for you

• cindala
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My white spiderwort didn't survive being excavated. It was partly under a rock wall and behind/under a limelight hydrangea. I hope no one was waiting anxiously for it. I'm sorry. I had roots and tops, but they weren't connected when I was done.

Marlene - I'm bringing you the whole bridal wreath spirea shrub. For some reason it would not break into sections. It always does and since I have 180 feet of spirea hedge, I have dug up lots of it over the years. I trimmed it back a little. I sent you an email about it. If it's a problem let me know.

Sandra - If you have any of your tall pink phlox not yet spoken for I would love some.

Michelle, The picture I saw of Heliopsis looks great. I'm not familiar with it, but would like to try some, if you have any left.

Laura, Pink Obedient plant and Monarda would be lovely. The yellow corydalis would be nice too. But I feel I'm starting to be greedy here.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all your lovely plants. Growing from seed has always intimidated me - well except for the zinnia seeds as a kid. :) I'm hoping to find out it's not as scary as it sounds.

See you tomorrow!

Cindy

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy,

growing from seed is really easy and fun when you winter sow all your seeds and early a mid spring sow your seeds.

Check out the winter sowing forum here on gardenweb. and read all the FAQS.

When you see my back fenced in yard with all my seedlings, you will understand how easy it can really be and fun and addicting as well.

See you tomorrow morning

Fran

• lauravanderberg_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Yipee! We're on!!!

Okay, I have reserved the following for the following folks:

Sandra- pink obedient plant
    Cindy- pink obedient, monarda, corydalis
    Katllama- hiroshiki willow and sweet woodruff (I have mine growing well in two spots: 1) full shade; 2) part sun/part shade)

Katllama- if you have enough, I would love thyme (any kind and amount :) and the tickseed (gold/yellow)

See you all tomorrow!

Laura

• katllama
    13 years ago

Sandra & Laura

The coreopsis and thyme are in 2 containers. I'm bringing you a lot of little ones (of the coreopsis) and 1 a bit larger (it's already flowering) with a few little ones. The others were so large I didn't have a container big enough to transport. It WILL self seed (goldfinches LOVE to pull all the flower heads apart to eat the seeds so they help to make more).

If you seriously want thyme, I'll have you all follow me back to my house (I live 10 min away from Fran) and you can take ALL you want. I'm swimming in it! LOL!

It all started with just 3 little innocent plants!

Fran I do have those 6 coffee cups full of the white foxglove seedlings for whomever you promised those to and will be bringing them. Did anyone else want them? I suppose I can always run home for any being so close.

I'm bringing 3 bare-root blackberry (they're not much bigger than palm sized roots at the moment).

The mosquitos are HUNGRY today. I'm running out and digging up bits and running back into the house to get away from them.

• katllama
    13 years ago

Sandra & Laura

The coreopsis and thyme are in 2 containers. I'm bringing you a lot of little ones (of the coreopsis) and 1 a bit larger (it's already flowering) with a few little ones. The others were so large I didn't have a container big enough to transport. It WILL self seed (goldfinches LOVE to pull all the flower heads apart to eat the seeds so they help to make more).

If you seriously want thyme, I'll have you all follow me back to my house (I live 10 min away from Fran) and you can take ALL you want. I'm swimming in it! LOL!

It all started with just 3 little innocent plants!

Fran I do have those 6 coffee cups full of the white foxglove seedlings for whomever you promised those to and will be bringing them. Did anyone else want them? I suppose I can always run home for any being so close.

I'm bringing 3 bare-root blackberry (they're not much bigger than palm sized roots at the moment).

The mosquitos are HUNGRY today. I'm running out and digging up bits and running back into the house to get away from them.

• katllama
    13 years ago

http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/Wildflower.asp?ID=65

Fran, I think that's the plant I gave you last year. The Rudbeckia gloriosa might be the plant from which you have a ton of seedlings.

Kathy

• katllama
    13 years ago

Hey it was so very nice to meet up with some new folks and see others from last year once again.

Thank you Fran for hosting. How great the weather held out for us.

Haven't got my stuff in the ground yet, but if I'm lucky the weather will hold out a bit longer and I can get started.

Janice there are several folks on FB with your name. Look for me under Lamourine.

For those that took home the blue Iris from my house, I'm (attempting to) attach(ing) a photo.

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Thank you once again, Fran, for hosting the swap this year. I have mostly everything in the ground (except the Bridal Wreath - got it out of my car successfully - now need to get out the shovel!). I love everything I got (Balloon flowers, Bleeding heart, a huge Columbine, 2 mystery plants with "cool" leaves, Astilbe, Blue Mistflowers, Silene armeria and the cucumbers - did I forget anything?). Thanks to all who provided the plants and food. I'm also looking forward to trying the Candy Lily seeds - I looked them up and love them! I'm trying the Queen Anne's Lace too but they may need more sun than I can give them.

Thanks again to Fran and everyone else for a very enjoyable morning. A special thanks to Cindy and her husband for all the work they did getting the Bridal Wreath to me (and then in my car!) and for directing me out of Fran's driveway without hitting anyone elses car!

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

HOW COULD I FORGET???? A big thank you to those of you who "adopted" Michelle's (ontheteam) tomato plants. Best of luck with the tomato plants and good luck harvesting the seeds. If you have trouble with seeds, hope you enjoy the tomatoes anyway! Fran also gave me a lot of pots for Michelle for next year's benefit for the Childrens Hospital.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marlene, Cindy, Kathy,

It was my pleasure to host the swap and we will do it again next year as well.

I can't believe that the weather turned out to be the way it did, nor rain, sun and a few clouds, but I could have done with out all the humidity.

And to think, at 6:30AM this morning I was sitting here trying to decide who to scream at first for pushing me to go with today for the swap.
    It was storming for the 4th time since 1AM this morning and the weather maps where showing a wall of rain and storms heading in.

Who would have thought we would luck out the way we did.

Glad you had a good time, we do have a wonderful group of gardeners that come every year to the swap and keep adding and adding to the selection of plants and seedlings every year.

Marlene, I will email you if I find any more pots that Michelle could use, and you should tell her to start checking out the yard sales whenever she can. She will be amazed at the pots she can find that way and the prices are really a steal.

Kathy, I checked some of the pics in the link and those flowers still didn't look like the one you gave me last year and I got seeds from.

Happy planting to all of you and happy gardening. How about some pics of the plants and seedlings when they bloom and thrive in their "new homes'.

Hint, Hint Kathy, "new homes".

Fran

• fgirl21
    13 years ago

A great (hot/muggy) time again this year. Glad that I didn't need a truck to haul home goodies this year too! Thank you Fran for being generous without killing me!!

It's great seeing familiar faces every year and nice to meet new ones too.

Marlene - pots? Michelle needs more pots? I have a BUNCH she is welcome to have! She can contact me (or you can) and we can connect. I'm south of Boston near the Costco in Avon so should be easy to get them to her.

Michelle

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Thank you Michelle. One or the other one of us will contact you - appreciate your donation (and adopting two tomatoes!).

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Thank you Michelle. One or the other one of us will contact you - appreciate your donation (and adopting two tomatoes!).

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking my extra divisions off my hands. I ended up taking three plants even though I said I could only take one home....

Fran, Thank you for hosting!

Lisa

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelle,

Glad to be of service and not "killing" you this year with generosity. But you know, that "little helper" needs to be nurtured with her love of gardening.

Lisa,

Did you really think you where going to leave with only one container of plants?
    So much for your plans, but glad you found more than the one that you wanted.

Thanks everyone for coming to the swap. I love hosting the spring swap, seeing familiar faces and meeting new gardeners.

Half of all those containers out back are gone to their new homes. Thanks Kathy and Heidi for taking your "babies", but there are still some left for you.

And now, I'm getting mine potted up and my wonderful new additions planted.

Fran

• zahzeen
    13 years ago

Michelle, I'll be sending you a separate email to arrange to get the pots. The other Michelle (ontheteam), who is the person spearheading the plant sale for the Childrens Hospital had a death in the family last week but is going to continue her sale starting next weekend. In the interim, if anyone else something to donate, I'd be glad to try to arrange to pick things up. Thank you.