Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do maples have "mast" years?

Posted by mayalena 6 - MetroWest Boston (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 23:54

Hi fellow gardeners.
I used to frequent this forum, then got busy with work. But I finally have some time to really think about my garden again and I have some questions. Namely, is anyone else pulling record numbers of maple seedlings from their garden beds? I am pulling more than 20 per square foot in some spots -- mostly Norways, I am sure. In my 13 years of gardening, I've never seen anything like it. Was it last year's half-hearted mulching? Or do maples have "mast years" like oaks?
Hope you'll have some thoughts for me.
ML

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do maples have "mast" years?

Hi Mayalena! It seems most trees to to seed intermittently, and this is true of the maples in my yard (as well as Oak, Linden, and Yellowwood). The big silver maple in the front yard goes to seed every year, it is an amazingly prolific tree, but one year it was so bad there was a 2 inch layer of wings in the gutters.

The Sugar maple has only had 1 heavy seed year that I can recall in recent years, and I read somewhere they go to seed every 2-5 years.

Norways also seem to be on an intermittent schedule. There are lots of seedlings this Spring, but it's been a few years since I've seen them. BUT - I'll never have to deal with that problem again - finally had the last huge Norway maple removed in March - yippee!

o

For my red maples, I think every year is incredibly prolific. I haven't seen a year where there were noticeably fewer seeds or seedlings. I do find that mulch makes a big difference in how easily they pull and how many sprout.

o

• Posted by mayalena 6 - MetroWest Boston (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:24

Thanks very much. I must have pulled many hundreds again today! It's crazy. But hopefully they have all germinated by now and when I get them up I'll be done for awhile! I am also mulching heavily this year....

o

I can't recall ever seeing (or pulling up) this many maple seedlings, and I've heard the same from a handful of people I've talked to around the Boston area. Makes me wonder why they're not the dominant life form on the planet...

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 15:12

Hi Nekobus. Does your name, by any chance, refer to the cat bus in Totoro?
So glad to know you are equally overwhelmed. It's amazing, no? Between maple seedlings and creeping charlie, soon there will be no room for the plants I want in the garden!

o

Hi Mayalena!
Great to hear from you again! I still remember your steep hillside and your efforts to conquer its wildness. Were you successful?
Best,
Idabean/Marie

o

Yup, Nekobus is the cat from Totoro. I'm a big Miyazaki fan.

o

Wed, May 14, 14 at 21:42

Hi Marie. Great to "see" you and Terrene here. I am still working on my hillside, but I've made lots of progress. If you are ever in this part of town, stop by!
How is your hill? We should start a new thread to compare hill thoughts....

o

I don't know what a mast year is, but it seems every year there is a proliferation of one thing or another. This year it's maple seedlings. I even saw one from my Japanese maple, which I've never seen before.

I wonder when I'll finish pulling those seedlings out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here