Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
greenhouse rental

Posted by twculber z7 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 1:02

Hi...

hoping maybe someone out there can help with a difficult situation...housing contract just fell through on the seller's end and I am scheduled to move 400+ sq. ft. of slipper orchids from my greenhouse in california to sunny cape cod in ten days. any leads on places to rent (large amounts of) greenhouse space? farms / nurseries with the petunias out for the year or something along those lines?? I've not had the chance to scout stuff out and we're moving pretty soon here so anything would be of help...

you can email if you want - twculber@hotmail.com

thanks
-Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: greenhouse rental

Try the local nurseries in that area. They might have space. Mahoney's might be a good place to start. They are in Falmouth.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 10:57

R.F. Morse has greenhouses in Wareham, MA and Hyannis, MA. They also had a nursery in Plymouth, MA that closed last year. I'm not sure if this Plymouth location has been taken over by anyone, but the last time I drove by it was closed, so this might be available. The Plymouth Correctional Facility (I'm not kidding) across the street also has greenhouses.

Mahoney's Garden Centers has two locations on Cape Cod; one in Falmouth and one in Osterville.

Morrison's Home and Garden Center in Plymouth might be able to help. The family that runs Morrison's has many ties to the industry.

Katsura Gardens seems to mostly have hoophouses, but the owner John Gallant knows the local industry and is very approachable.

There are many nurseries in southeast MA and there should be something there for you.

Hope this helps.

Claire

o
RE RE: greenhouse rental

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 11:10

I should have mentioned that you shouldn't limit your search to Cape Cod itself. If you don't know the area, there's a lot of locations on the mainland in southeast MA that are within easy driving distance of the Cape and where rentals may be much cheaper. Easy driving distance can be a half hour, if you don't have to deal with bridge and tourist traffic.

Good luck,
Claire (who lives in Plymouth, just north of the Cape Cod Canal)

o

Not quite on topic, but I always thought that greenhouses should actively market their availability in winter to amateur gardeners like ourselves to make an extra buck. Better than just sitting there! Have some classes too while you're at it.... And refreshments....

o

I'd try:
Soares Nursery & Landscape, 1021 Sandwich Road, East Falmouth, 508 548-5288, soaresflowergardennursery.com
Reggie and Terry are good people and should have space.

Also:
Brick Kiln Farm, 254 Brick Kiln Road, Teaticket (Falmouth) 508 548-3276. There are also some "abandoned" nurseries, including one near the intersection of Brick Kiln & Sandwich Roads (Falmouth Greenhouse?) one on Old Meeting House Road (formerly Tavares, then RF Morse, now empty). And
Twin Gardens, in Monument Beach is not so far away, they closed a couple of years ago.

There's also a big greenhouse operation at Coonamessett Farms, not sure how full they are at different times of year, but the owner should know pretty much all about other local greenhouses.
277 Hatchville Road, East Falmouth, 508-563-2560, www.coonamessettfarm.com

Good luck!

o

Tim,

Did you move the slipper orchids? Did you find greenhouse space? Is there an ending to this story?

o
RE: cape cod

Yeah, Tim, whatever did you figure out about that move? Did you get the pictures? RSVP. SVP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here