Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derekellis

Pets and plants

derekellis
10 years ago

How do you keep pets out of your plants?

I have an aloe plant that right now I am alternating days between indoor and outdoors. I have a cat that keeps nipping at the leaves.

Will this hurt or kill an aloe plant? Will an aloe plant hurt or kill my cat?

Comments (16)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Put it outside. And keep it there until fall.

When we first got our cats, as kittens, they found any type of plant absolutely fascinating. They killed an aloe by sleeping on it, and almost killed a peace lily the same way. It got bad enough that I bought some bitter apple spray from the pet supply store, and that worked reasonably well. However, aloes do perfectly well outside during the summer, and they have never really bothered plants outside. After the first winter, they grew out of that phase. My current aloe has been unmolested for several years now. I wish my knitting could say the same.

• derekellis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RIght now my aloe plant is sunburned, its a tan color. I did some googling online, and I found to alternate days indoors and outdoors. I got the aloe from a friend of mine, it was indoors the whole time. After about a week, I am going to leave it outdoors for the rest of the summer.

• diggingthedirt
    10 years ago

Leave it outside, but in a spot protected from both wind and sun. After about a week, move it where it will get a little more breeze and some morning sun. Much easier and more effective than moving it every day.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, aloe is toxic to cats. See link... ASPCA is a good resource for toxicity info.

I have a cat who at 2 years of age has not stopped munching any and every plant she sees. She'll even follow at a trot if I so much as carry a plant from the garage through the house to the patio -- she knows I have something green. I have given up keeping houseplants (or even cut garden flowers as many are very toxic and she will eat them -- petals, stems and all!) UNLESS I can place the plant high enough out of her reach.

Vet bills to pump kitty stomachs are very expensive -- keep the aloe outside!

Here is a link that might be useful: ASPCA toxicity - aloe

• derekellis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cant keep it outside in the winter. my zone is 5B, Northwestern Connecitcut.

• derekellis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and thankfully he just nips at the tips of the leaves. There are a few teeth marks he left behind. I don't think he has actually eaten any of the aloe plant.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Well, he MIGHT leave it alone after awhile, but I wouldn't risk it. Do you have a very high shelf you can put it? Something he won't jump up on? My cat won't attempt to jump onto one of those narrow, high plant stands (I think because she can't see her landing spot ?? Or maybe she just hasn't thought about trying yet, but that has worked so far -- high and not terribly visible from ground level if you're a cat...) I bet you have somewhere inside you can keep it where your cat either won't or can't get to it. Maybe a glass fronted cabinet you can put it in so you can still see it but the cat can't get to it? Otherwise, sorry, but I'd get rid of the aloe. (If you actually see him munching, you could try the spray bottle technique -- that works for my cats, though all it means is they wait until I've left the room to (a) munch plants (b) leap to the light trough (c) cruise the counter. But one sight of that spray water bottle and they're gone!

(You'll be glad to hear that lavender is NOT toxic, though!)

• derekellis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my cat is a jumper, he will jump on anything he can! The squirt bottle works, but what about when we are not at home? He is a just a general chewer, papers, shoes, anything he can.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Oh dear... so is mine. She sits on my desk and eats through papers. Gnaws on plastic. Steals anything on an end table or in the trash can. She once stole an entire bunch of chives I had bought for a recipe -- took it right off the country under my nose and high-tailed it into the dining room, dragging the bunch of chives. They must be related! (Mine's a black cat -- nutty as a fruitcake! I swear there are some screws loose...)

You might look into one of the enclosed greenhouse setups -- I bought one for overwintering plants. They're not that much, and they'll keep both plants and cat safe.

Here's a link so you see what they look like. I actually found mine at Ocean State Job Lots, so it was about $20 (I think?). But it works!

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor greenhouse

• derekellis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mine is black and white, Tuxedo pattern. 90/10 black to white coloring.

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Oh that's interesting ... I have two. They're rescue sisters, and one's a tuxedo (but SHE doesn't eat anything... good as gold. It's the all black one who's a total nut case! Sleeps in sinks (fairly regularly, climbs the chimney, eats everything from plastic lids to notarized documents to kitchen herbs...)

Ah, the mystery of faucets... or "if it drips... they will come"

• klsav
    10 years ago

Make a quick macrame holder, and hang it instead- they're less tempted to jump because they can't see footing. I've now done this with almost all of my plants, and neither of mine have even tried to touch them.

• derekellis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to see your cats reaction if you try to fill the tub with water!

• ctlady_gw
    10 years ago

Actually -- they are waiting for me to turn on the faucet :) They will wait patiently for as much as an hour for the faucet to magically begin to run. When I turn it on for them, they perch on each side of the faucet, leaning down, each drinking from her own side. Quite adorable. (They are rescue sisters - they share everything :) You'd think they don't have a water bowl anywhere else (they do!) That said, if I close the drain to let the tub begin to fill, as soon as water touches those little toes, they are OUT of there, casting reproachful glares over their shoulders as they go.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Your kitties are very cute Ctlady. The cat love of my life was a black tuxedo cat - love them!

Have you considered growing some catnip and cat grass for your kitty Derek? I think cats need to have a little roughage in their diet. And most cats go NUTS over catnip. Kitty will probably never touch the aloe again.

• chardie
    10 years ago

Caught in the act! I finally figured out why my catmint always flopped.

Lucy--you got some 'splaining to do!