Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What bug is this and why is it eating my Dahlia's

Posted by sasha-nh (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 8:21

Hi All,

This bug is on the main vein of the leaf - ants seem to be attracted to them - even after the bug is gone the ants appear to be eating into the cuts the bugs made-

Photobucket

Photobucket

I put one on a piece of white paper to see it better- the shadow really shows the shape

Photobucket

Thanks

Marsha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What bug is this and why is it eating my Dahlia's

Everything is in focus except the bug.

o

A bug that has the power to cloud men's (and DTD's) minds? Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!

o

Hmm, judging from the second photo, I'd say the Loch Ness Monster is in your garden.

Gee, I always thought Nessie was a bit bigger than that...

;)
Dee

o

sasha-nh, if the dahlias are otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry about this bug.

If you really need an id, here are 3 suggestions.
It may be that you're trying to get too close, lenses have different limits. Try backing up a bit for a better chance the camera will be able to focus.

Then, try putting the bug on a larger surface - like a table - and compose the photo so there are no distant objects in the frame. The camera is apparently trying to focus on the background (the car at the curb, the wrought iron stairway banister, the gravel, all of which are crystal clear!).

You may have it in 'landscape mode' (if it's that kind of camera) or you're not giving it time to detect and focus on the bug; maybe if there's nothing BUT the bug in the field of view it will work better.

o

Try putting the camera into "macro" mode - it's usually one of the settings next to the LCD, indicated by a little flower shape. That is very easy to adjust.

You've got the hard part down - posting photos to GW!

o

I have something similar on my potatoes. They do damage the plants, so I knock them into a can of soapy water as I'm on patrol for potato bugs. They are pretty powerful hoppers. No clue what they are called.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here