Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
climbing hydrangea infestation

Posted by susie2scottie 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 8:52

All three of my four-year-old climbing hydrangea bushes - in separate locations in the yard - have fibrous, cottony, white, sticky, fairly rectangular spots under their leaves. From the top they are the normal green.

One bush has seriously deteriorated and I expect the others will follow without help.

Does anyone recognize this disease and know how to treat it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: climbing hydrangea infestation

• Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 15:09

I think it's cottony scale. (I've seen it called cottony cushion scale, cottony camellia scale, and cottony hydrangea scale--not sure if these are different things that can all affect hydrangea, or different names for the same thing.) I found some on my hydrangea last year but it was a limited infestation so I just pulled off those leaves. Hope someone else has a suggestion about how to treat it.

I'm going to go check my plants now!

o

You can always use a spray oil that smothers them. I have gotten that on holly and it worked. Do yourself a favor and get a jar sprayer for the hose, the oil is a concentrate. I used a pump garden sprayer and I got more on me than on the plants.

o

• Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 22:12

I did find some scale on my hydrangeas too! bummer.

And I guess my memory is not so great, because I asked a question about it on the hydrangea forum last year and got a good explanation. Here is the thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea Scale post

o

Thank you all for suggestions. After all the reading on scale I think I'll try washing today with some soap and oil. It may not work, but it'll make me feel better than watching it grow!

Interesting, I have two holly trees between two of the hydrangea plants and I've read that holly is susceptible to scale. I pray to the garden gods that they're safe.

o

i just removed a holly bush that was covered with the stuff. I was wondering what it was.

o

I have been getting it on hollies also. I sprayed one last year with the oil and it worked but the other 2 I had to respray this weekend. I also get scales on euonymus. I fina;;y got a hose end sprayer and it works much better than the garden pump srayer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here