Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Schizophragma finally bloomed - YIPPEE

WendyB 5A/MA
12 years ago

I have flower buds!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoopee!!!! This is the eighth season.

I only see a half-dozen or so, but its a start. This must be the "creep" year. LOL

I wish I kept better track of any fertilizing I may have done, especially last year. It's been sketchy.

Hmmm...I did start a pile of grass clippings about 10 feet away and a general debris pile about 10 feet in another direction. I wonder if it stole from that? There was also a nearby maple that generated a gazillion flowers this spring (helicopters EVERYWHERE) that I have never noticed before shedding anything.

The area where it is growing is woods next to the driveway that is partially cultivated. I've always thought that years of leaf litter and natural debris was creating good soil on its own. It always looked good. But maybe not enough for everyone though...

Or maybe I should stop analyzing and just enjoy the victory!!! yea!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread that didn't pop to the top when updated

Comments (13)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Wendy, I posted on the old thread too hoping it might pop back up top, but it doesn't look like it's going to work.
    Congratulations!!!!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I posted pictures there too. I don't get it the algorithm.

I wonder if our climate had anything to do with our recent successes. I am in northern MA. I pay attention to the minimum winter temps. We usually have a string of -20 degree days or at least a few scattered. This past winter, the lowest I saw was -13 or -15 for a day or two. Technically, that would be zone 6.

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Congratulations, wendyb! I just went to the older thread and saw your pictures! Oh, I want one too. I have a similar place by the driveway that's quite shady and I'd love to have one growing up one of the trees there! Will you post photos of the flowers?

We're all enjoying your victory!

Leslie

• Penelope
    12 years ago

I saw an incredible one, must have been 30' up a tree and quite thick and dense, on Saturday at one of the RI Garden Conservancy tours. It was the "moonlight" variety, in full glorious bloom. The hosts said it was 8 years old, but at the end of 5 years was only about 2' up the tree and then really leaped between years 5 and 8. I didn't ask when it started blooming. They're in z. 6.

I planted 3 tiny ones last summer of the variegated Hydrangea anomala Firefly variety, but I don't think any of them came back this spring. :(

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

It's really beautiful! Thanks for posting the photos; it's especially cool that you documented the plant over the years.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

Good heavens! What will happen when it reaches the top of that tree? I can imagine it hopping over to the next tree, and the next tree, and the next tree....

You'll have a very beautiful woods there.

Claire

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, it did already hop to a neighbor tree! One of the new vines went sideways instead of upwards and attached itself to a maple about 2 feet away that is about 6" diameter. It is only about a foot up the tree. I am trying to decide if I went to let it keep going or pull it off.

Initially I had to do a lot of training to get the vines to go up the pine. Mostly they do it by themselves now. I found a couple rooted to the ground and the maple. Anyone want one? I can pot them up and ship them in the fall. Btw, this one is 'Moonlight' too.

I do worry a bit about the pine's health long term. If it really gets to the top eventually and is going all around the bark, won't it strangle the tree eventually like oriental bittersweet? What makes these vines more compatible?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think you can see the neighbor tree vine in this picture. If you click on it and zoom it max, in the lower left hand corner, the maple (actually more like 5 feet away) has the same silvery leaf on the bottom of it.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, here's the bloom. Not enough to get super excited about now, but what a tease for future years!

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Beautiful! The foliage itself is enough to get excited about, and the flowers are icing on the cake.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

The whole tree is going to look like it's been frosted! Lovely!

Claire

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

For over 20 years I've been wanting to grow something up the telephone pole that's right at the corner of our property, made all the more visible because it leeeeaaaaanss out. I'm inspired.
    Thanks!
    MT

• ego45
    12 years ago

6 years from the date of planting, 30+' tall.
    Last year she had 1 (one) and only first bloom. This year all 15 lower feet were blooming ;-))))))
    Well worth to wait!