Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grouch Weed

Posted by Elijahs.Mimi 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 9:31

Hi all, I use to post on this forum years ago as Cosmos. Anyway, I moved last year and have a nice big yard to plant in. It was June and I was so tired from the moved I put my potted perennials in groups and called it a summer. This year I have gotten most of them in the ground and everything (except seedling sunflowers being eaten) is doing great.

But, the lawn itself has no organic material(I have a compost pile started) and is full of weeds. This one which I call the grouch weed because it reminds me of Oscar the Grouch is so invasive. I've seen these all my life, but my side yard is so full of them that when I get rid of them I will have mostly dirt.

Thanks, Susan

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grouch Weed

Hi Susan! Welcome back to the forum - are you looking for an ID on this weed? Either my eyes or my laptop screen aren't up to the job - could you post a more close-up photo? I tried clicking on it to expand it, but that just takes me to a tinypic login/sign up page.

o

It looks like buckhorn plantain to me, so check that out. I believe this is a perennial weed. One has to make sure to get the bulbous root out too.

o

If you want grass there, spray that stuff with Glyphosate (Roundup), then buy some composted cow manure (if you haven't got enough) and till it in. Rake it, seed it, cover with straw and then keep it moist.

If that stuff spreads vegetatively (bulbs) as well as by seed, you won't get rid of it easily. Since there is no viable lawn there you should just kill it. Glyphosate is soil deactivated and you should be able to plant about a week after treatment.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here