Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

computer help

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

I spent an hour exploring all my settings and finally got rid of, for now, all the popups and ads.

However I must have changed some other settings because

1. Now my Mozilla opens to the last site I was on, even though I have closed the window. It stays even when I log off, shut down, reopen

Of course I have no recollection of how I did that.

2. The appearance of screen, text everything has changed. It is squished down...readable but resolution is bad. Where did I go and what did I do and how do I fix.

Thanks if you can help because I wanted to ask my buddies before trying "outside" sources.

Marie

Comments (11)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

#1 is easy. Check your options and this pull-down

{{gwi:1077653}}

I never used to use that option, but it actually can be helpful. But I rarely close apps anyhow, so not a good model.

#2 need more specific info on problem, but check font sizes in Content (see Advanced button... minimum font size)

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

Marie - To change your startup page: go to the top bar to Tools; down to open Options; click on General; under Startup "when Firefox starts show" and click blank page or set what you want your home page to be.

To change your screen resolution: Right click your mouse on a blank area of your desktop; scroll down to Properties; click on Settings and change your screen resolution back there.

...hopefully - if your computer is like mine. If you have a newer operating system the panel to change screen resolution may be in a different place - maybe try control panels? At least you will know what you are looking for.

HTH
    Deb

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both. First problem fixed.
    The second one is not. I found the 'resolution' button and it was already set on 'high'. It is not an issue of font or text size.

It is like the entire page or desktop is seen through a wide view lens, a little stretched out. I've noticed this distortion on a big tv screen. Everything is legible but it is not comfortable to read.

I'll try resolution again, but this has to do with a different setting.

Thanks!
    Marie

• ginny12
    13 years ago

You have gotten good advice but may I suggest that you check out the Computer Forum on GW? Great folks, very knowledgeable (like the two who just helped you), and very patient.

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

It still sounds like you changed the aspect ratio and I don't know how that can change other than the screen resolution - by which I mean the "number x another number pixels" has been changed to different numbers which are incompatible with your monitor. Another way to get there: Start menu to Settings to Control panels to Display. I have a slider bar to change the resolution - what do you have?

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Marie, wherever you go to pursue this, please supply more specific info. i.e. what monitor, what operating system, what resolution, most important...what changed? Did you get some new hardware? software? updates? Do you see the problem on a blank desktop? some apps? all apps?

do you have a wide screen monitor? Sounds like the operating system "thinks" you do, but you don't. or vice-versa. My display settings have portrait/landscape option too. does yours?

so this is not a Firefox issue? Your initial description infers (implies?) that it was related to Mozilla firefox settings

• mmqchdygg
    13 years ago

FYI- if you use a scrolly mouse (the one with a wheel in it) you can always change the text size of any window by simply holding down the CTRL button and scrolling up or down. No need to change settings anywhere.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for suggestions. I haven't had the energy to deal with this further. I got rid of the popups for the first time in months and I'm grateful for that.

Yes, it seems to me that it is a screen view issue and a wide screen distortion. Eventually, I'll deal with it!

Marie

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

one possible thing that may have happened is that if you did a Windows update, maybe a new monitor driver got automatically installed that was wrong. You would have to verify that and rollback to your old driver. Not hard, but not for the casual user either.

That's one reason I rarely do Windows updates and I scrutinize everything carefully before accepting each fix.

Although your original posting seems to contradict that as a possible theory, so maybe not...

Glad your browsing experience is better.

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

The main thing we need to know is if the screen looks funky in other programs (word, or whatever else you use) or just in firefox/mozilla.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate it that people continue to check in.
    It is funky all over.
    Word is just not "quite" normal. Readable yes. But just a little distortion, almost fuzzy around the edges.

It is not my eyes. My horrible computer at work with an ancient monitor is easier to read. My distortions should not show up on your screen, but above "is easier" looks like the old manual typewriter when the ribbon was getting worn.

I wasted so much time on this last weekend, I'm having a difficult time getting motivated to dig more. But I must, and i'll try the couple of new ideas here.

Actually, I don't know how to "try" them.

Marie