Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Septoria leaf spot on tomato plants, I think

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 & 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 10:08

Sorry I can't post a photo, but I did a search for "tomato diseases" and the yellow spots with black centers on the leaves look like the problem. Only my Early Girl plants have it, so I'm thinking the entire flat of 6 plants brought it with them.

Does anyone else in MA or RI have tomato plants with this? And if so, where did you buy your plants? (do a google search for "tomato diseases" then click on "septoria leaf spot" for info and pix)

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Septoria leaf spot on tomato plants, I think

Hi Carol. So far my 6 plants look good. I bought two organic tomato plants at Whole Foods where I purchased some last year and they did ok. I also bought one flat of 4 Sunsugar plants at Russell's and those look ok at this point too.

We really do have to be careful with the tomato plants this year. There's been discussion on the Organic Forum about the late blight that hit the Northeast last year. Evidently if you have infected plants the disease spores can travel in the wind for miles. So careful atttention to leaf spots and pulling the plants if you think they have blight is very important this year.

I think it's a great idea to report foliar problems on plants and figure out where they are being purchased.

o

Bought cherry tom at Home depot looked like leaf septoria but wasn't sure if early blight, Out it went !!! pot and cage emptied washed with dilute bleach not using until next year will wash again. ?Am I paranoid?

o

Nope. Sounds about right to me. :-)

o

I am getting paranoid too. Took these off my tomatoes yesterday and found this brown damage on coreopsis today. I grew mine from seed. I have sprayed twice with a mild fungicide, I think I have to move up to the big guns.
Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf damage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here