Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplethumbexpress

Too late to plant in Western Mass?

Hi all! Hope everyone is having an eventful growing season so far!

I'm new here, so if there is a better forum to post at, please let me know. I'll be happy to try again....

Anyway, my question for those who know; is it too late for me to plant corn?
I planted some several weeks back but would really like to plant a few more rows...

AND, it isn't sweet corn, if that makes a difference. It is "painted mountain" corn, which is a decorative/chicken food/milling corn.

It is about a 7-14 day germination and 90 days to maturity, dry. That brings me all the way into mid October and our frost date for our area is Sept 28th. Anybody think I can make it?

Should I just save it for next year? Will it still be viable?

I really appreciate the feedback! Thank you all!

This post was edited by purplethumbexpress on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 10:30

Comments (5)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

You may want to ask on the veggie growing forum.

2 things come to mind

1) frost date is an average. Has no bearing on when you will actually get frost year to year. You may get lucky with a late frost, or unlucky with an early frost. I know where I live, our frost date is typically a week or 2 earlier than I ever see frost, but it's not a guarantee.
    2) I'm not familiar with that variety of corn, but it sounds as if the cobs themselves mature then dry on the stalk? Is it possible for the cobs to dry off the stalks? Meaning, could you pick the corn early if a frost was predicted? Or would the drying be affected by an early frost?

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

Hi, purplethumbexpress, and welcome to the NE forum!

I don't have much experience with corn, and although I used to garden in western MA, it was a very long time ago, so maybe someone else will chime in with a more authoritative answer, but I'll give it a go anyway.

IMHO, unless the seeds are irreplaceable or outrageously expensive, I'd go for it. First reason is that weather patterns have been so unpredictable that you might have a late fall, and, secondly, seed corn is only viable for 2 years, so you might lose some productivity if you wait, anyway.

• purplethumbexpress
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, pixie-lou and diggingthedirt!

First, thank you for the warm welcome!

Re: pixie_lou's response....I'm not sure if I can dry it off the stalk or not. That is something I did not think about! Thank you! I am looking into that right now...

If I can, it might be worth it still....which leads me to respond to diggingthedirts reply:

It is "expensive" (I think, it was $20+ for a 1/2 lb?) But, I'm new to corn (gardening in general, actually) and so, it may just seem expensive to me.

Plus, it is organic corn and I've been having a bit of trouble germinating and then growing our organic seeds due to weather and pests (and pets!!!LOL)....maybe because they are more sensitive?

AND on THAT note, sounds like I'm just going to go for it and plant as much as I can today....and hope for the best!

I also did look for a corn specific forum, but didn't see one. I'll check the vegetable forum for some advice, too :)

Lastly, in terms of the weather....I have a feeling that we will have an early frost. We always do. Maybe I'll also message the seed company they came from and see what they recommend. They're located in VT, after all!(Hadn't thought of that!)

Nonetheless, it's always nice to hear advice from across-the-board.
    Thanks again! I'm still open for other suggestions as well!
    This is all very helpful!!

This post was edited by purplethumbexpress on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:02

• bill_ri_z6b
    9 years ago

Welcome!

I was going to say that unless it's really expensive, go for it, but Diggingthedirt already said that. But you say it was somewhat pricey. Well, how about a compromise? Plant half of the seed now, and save half.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

{{gwi:5901}}

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

If it is just a matter of drying it, you can take the entire stalk into the garage.