Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

Freeze proof containers?

bill_ri_z6b
12 years ago

I also posted this on the Container Gardening forum, but thought I'd also post it here.

I live in RI, zone 6b, so any containers that I want to leave out all winter (with soil in them) need to be completely freeze proof. This is not the same as "frost proof" since those usually only mean that a little frost on an empty pot won't damage it. I have one stone container with a small pine tree in it that's been fine for years, but I need something bigger that I won't have to move at all. I'd plant annuals every year, but I need large scale containers that can stay put. The size would be in the range of 24-36 inches high, at least and probably 24-30 inches in diameter. I have another pot that resembles stone, but it's made of some sort of plastic, resin or fiberglass type material. It's also lasted for many years, with soil left in it all year. It really looks almost like real stone, but I haven't been able to find any more like it, and not sure what it's made of. Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments (13)

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I used to have wooden whiskey barrels - inherited them with my last house. They stayed outside year round and did fine.

I'm considering having cedar or redwood planters built for me to go on my patio as well as matching planters to line my driveway.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had one of those wooden half-barrels years ago and they do last for quite a few years. But they don't have the look I want for this new paved terrace area. I found some plastic pots that look like terracotta and they can stay out all winter with soil in them, but pretty pricey. Might be easier to move south! Otherwise I'll have to set plant pots inside large, decorative containers on packing peanuts or other inert filler, and then lift the pots out for the winter. I could fill around the plant with spanish moss or similar for the summer.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

I bought some containers a few years ago, that I'm not sure what they are made of. They almost seemed like paper mache with some kind of coating on the inside and painted on the outside. But they are more rigid then paper mache. I haven't seen another container like them. They survived outside all last winter with all that snow we had and look as good as new this spring. I found them at JoAnn Fabrics of all places, which has had a good selection of containers every summer.

The other containers I've left out every winter for the past four and they are still going strong, are fiberglass pots. They are more expensive, but they are nice and light and easy to move and often have nice designs on them. When they go on sale, these are the best to me for leaving out in the winter. You probably do need to be careful about placement, because they can be broken.

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ann,

I think I know the ones you mentioned. I had two from Sam's Club and they deteriorated the first year. Actually even before winter had started! Maybe different manufacturers have different quality control.

By the way, how are your cactus plants doing? They should have flower buds by now.

• Started_with_bean
    12 years ago

I saw this at the nursery last month and thought it was an interesting concept, but it sounds like it might solve your problem. I would imagine once the flowers start getting big you wouldn't need any moss for coverage. I saw them at the Mahoney's in Winchester, but maybe your local stores carry them:

http://www.ups-a-daisy.com/

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Hi Bill, flower buds, huh? I'll have to check those out tomorrow. I haven't noticed. I have seen some new growth on one of them, but I put them in two different locations last year and one bit the dust over the winter. Not surprising, since it was near the driveway and was buried under all the shoveled snow from the driveway all winter. That would be great if they flower soon. I'll let you know tomorrow.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Bill, I checked out the cactus this morning. It has three nice new pads on it but no flower buds yet. I'll keep my eye on it. :-)

• niceplanterllc
    10 years ago

This is what you need, 36'x36'x36' corten steel planter
    It will rust and weather and look super cool. Metal is the best option for freeze resistance

Here is a link that might be useful: Corten Steel Planter Cubes

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I have some .... foam?.... planters. Foam is the only word that comes to mind, and I think that's what they were called. But it's heavier-duty than what most people think of as foam. They are very lightweight, come in some really nice designs and colors, and can take the cold.

However, they don't take "bumps" well. I've done more damage to them with my trowel than cold temps could ever do. Most of the damage is in the inside, inflicted while digging and/or planting, but the outsides get dinged up as well.

Mine are a couple years old and look fairly good, other than the dings. And admittedly, I take terrible care of my pots. They get piled up in the garage for winter storage and hurricane protection, I rake around them when I shouldn't etc., and these foam pots are no exception to my abuse. I think perhaps if you are careful they may look good for quite some time.

Dee
    P.S. Found the old thread below - might be helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on foam pots

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee,
    Thanks for the info. I have a couple of those (if they're what I think they are) that stayed outside last winter. It's not so much whether the pot itself can take the cold, as I think most of them can. But my concern was whether leaving them full of soil would cause them to split when the soil freezes and expands. I really am too lazy to empty them every year. Most years I just replace the top 8 inches or so of soil, because generally the roots of the annuals don't go much further than that anyway. Last year they did OK. The plants did great this season, in fact the million bells are still blooming!

{{gwi:5901}}

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Bill, I've had mine outside with soil (and plants) in them and had no problem with breaking or splitting due to soil heave/expansion.

And honestly, while not as nice-looking, I've had great success with plastic as well. The plastic does get brittle and I've had some break off in my hands if I tried to move them in the middle of winter, but if left alone they come through fine.

I have some cheap white plastic "grecian urn" style planters on my back steps that have sat out for at least five years. I sprayed them with some kind of Krylon paint that makes them look like concrete. (I probably paid way more for the paint than I did for the pots!). I figured I would get one, maybe two seasons out of them, and I am pleasantly surprised to have gotten the five (and counting!) out of them. Outside on the patio, hot and sunny in summer, cold and shady in winter, windy all year round. So not only did the plastic hold up, but the paint did as well. Obviously not as authentic-looking as real concrete planters, but really, not a bad substitute at all. Something to consider...

Dee

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dee, thanks for all the information. I will most likely get one or two more containers next year and I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Here's a photo of one of the two that I have. I'm pretty sure they are the foam type, but they look pretty realistic. They've gone through two winters so far, and still look good. I have never removed the soil. So far so good and I hope to get a few more years out of them. I think they were about $50 each, so if I get 5 years out of them that's not bad.

{{gwi:5901}}