Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_ri_z6b

ID for this small tree?

bill_ri_z6b
13 years ago

This small tree is blooming now, found in Home Depot parking lot. They don't sell them there, already asked!

Any idea as to what it is? It has a nice fragrance, sort of reminds me of citrus blossoms. Overall height is about 12 feet and small spread, maybe 6-7 feet.

Comments (9)

• lschibley
    13 years ago

Littleleaf Linden?

Here is a link that might be useful: treehelp.com

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It sure looks like you named it! There are dwarf forms and this must be one of them. May be just what I need in the new planter out front!

Thanks!

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

MOBOT says: No serious insect or disease problems. Verticillium wilt is infrequent, but can be fatal. Powdery mildew, leaf spots and canker may occur. Insect visitors include borers, scale, leaf miner, lace bugs, caterpillars, aphids and Japanese beetles. Spider mites can be troublesome, particularly in hot, dry periods.

Overall, not a bad list of problems. I'd check with the trees forum, though; this may be one of those overplanted and weak-wooded trees that's gained popularity because of its quick growth. Or, maybe it's a gem. I've had lindens at other houses, and liked them a lot. MOBOT does not list any dwarf cultivars, by the way, and the Tilia cordata species is abit big for you: Height: 50 to 70 feet
    Spread: 35 to 50 feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: l.l.l. at mobot

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

Tilia tomentosa, the Silver Linden, is another beauty with two-toned leaves and fragrant flowers. It also gets too big for your planter.

When I last lived in NYC I was half a block from Tompkins Square Park and there were lindens planted there. When they bloomed I could smell them through my windows at night. A very nice, BIG tree.

Claire

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    13 years ago

To give you an idea of what that Home Depot parking lot is going to look like, take a look at the Wikipedia listing for Unter den Linden.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Cool - those trees are 60 years old; I'd like to imagine that in 60 years the big box stores' parking lots will be ... something other than what they are today. Do you think those are T. cordata, or some other variety of linden?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Tilia americana is our local native species of linden. Bark ridged rather like ash, big heart-shaped leaves with a lighter underside, flowers quite similar to your photo similarly winged. Quite a nice tree.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bill_ri_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually when I Googled "Dwarf Tilia cordata" a few showed up. Mostly one called "Lico Dwarf". There are a couple of others and apparently a dwarf weeping form as well. A dwarf form is in the running for my space but I'm still leaning toward a crape myrtle. I'll have to see if I can find a decent size one locally, but I doubt it.

Thanks again for all the input.

• tree_oracle
    13 years ago

Definitely Tilia Cordata aka Littleleaf Linden. The tree shown is not a dwarf. It's just young. It will get much bigger in time. What I like most about these trees is that the fall foliage is an intense golden-yellow in the fall which greatly contrasts the trunk which looks very dark when it gets wet from a rain. What I like least about these trees is that the flowers attract bees by the millions. It's not safe to go near one this time of the year with all of the bees buzzing about. The bee problem aside, this tree should be planted more than it is and definitely in place of Bradford Pears which most landscapers seem to prefer. This particular Linden has a medium growth rate at best so the wood is much stronger than on a Callery Pear. They will tolerate a fair amount of abuse but they aren't as drought tolerant as a Callery Pear. If the tree at Home Depot is a cultivar, it is most likely Greenspire. There are some newer cultivars coming out but they are not commonplace. One cultivar that may become very popular is called "Winter Orange" which has as you might expect orange branches in the winter.