Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chardie_gw

Rhododendrons & Hydrangeas

chardie
10 years ago

Hi,
I'm ready to transplant a 30-year old rhodie from my mother's garden, and two hydrangeas. I don't know the types. The rhodie is a typical dark pink/mauve variety you see everywhere. It's about six or seven feet. The hydrangeas are mopheads.

My question is should I plant them in full or part sun? I have azaleas in part sun and full sun and they all seem to do equally well. The peonies are also in part sun and I get a good 12-16 blooms on them. Is that normal?

I've never had a rhodie, and the stuff on the internet seems confusing to me. The renegade garden said that you have to amend the soil to make it more acidic but the owners of the nurseries I frequent said that our soil would be acidic enough.

I'm in northeast Connecticut and Zone 5b.
Also, my hydrangeas are all in full sun. I'm guessing the Invicibelle Spirit gets faded by the sun, and I don't like the color. Is it OK to plant my mom's mopheads in an area that only gets four hours of morning sun?

Comments (5)

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

The Rhododendron should be fine in full sun. Most soil in this area is acid enough for rhodies, azaleas and camellias. The hydrangeas would benefit from some shade in the afternoon, and also a site protected from strong winds, because they tend to be delicate when in bloom. Is that four hours of sun the morning sun? If so, that should be fine.

{{gwi:5901}}

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Hydrangeas thrive in part sun but do require acid soil in order to bloom but the most important thing they need is water. The 'hydra' part of the name says it all. So long as they have adequate moisture, they should be fine.

I have peonies growing beside hydrangeas in part sun but also have them growing in full sun. They thrive & bloom heavily in both locations which suggests they're happy in either. I've seen no indication of more stingy blooming in part sun. The key with peonies is planting them so the stems are growing at the same level as in the pot--plant them even slightly below that and you'll be wondering why your plants don't bloom.

My soil is naturally a bit acidic which pleases the hydrangeas. I dump wood ashes on the peonies in January or February each year because they prefer a more neutral soil Ph-wise.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Hydrangeas don't particularly care about pH. My soil is naturally alkaline, and aside from winterkill (zone) issues, hydrangeas are perfectly happy.

The rhododendrons do care, and if you lived in NW Conn, I'd strongly recommend a soil test. There are lime pockets around.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Your pH should be fine for Rhododendrons in NE CT. The Renegade Gardener is in the midwest, MN I think, where you do need add supplements to grow rhododendrons since the pH is more alkaline than they like. Rhododendrons do prefer relatively organic soil, so I usually mulch them with wood chips which will break down over time and supply organic matter.

My mophead hydrangeas are happier with morning sun and afternoon shade than with full sun. They tend to look a bit droopy when they are in full sun. That isn't true of Hydrangea paniculata, but the ordinary mophead H. macrophylla prefers some shade.

I find that here my rhododendrons bloom and grow fine in either sun or part shade, but in winter they end up with less damage to the foliage if they get some shade, so I tend to site my rhododendrons where they may have full or part sun in warm weather, but they get at least some shade (due to the lower sun angle) in winter.

My peonies bloom well in part sun or full sun, and they all seem to do just fine in the same acidic garden soil where the rhodies and hydrangeas are happy, so I don't think that they are super fussy about pH.

• chardie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your responses! Planting will commence this weekend, in between a garden tour tomorrow. Can't wait.