Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Variegated Hydrangea Surprise

triciae
16 years ago

Well, on this morning's garden walk I've found a most unexpected pleasant surprise. As some of you know, I've got a hedge of 'Homigo' hydrangeas that has a few variegated shrubs mixed in just for the foliage interest. Every year, the previous years' stalks look dead, snap when touched, & show no signs of green. So, every year I cut them down to the ground. Variegated hydrangeas do not bloom on new wood (I don't think?). So, I've never had flowers. I didn't mind 'cause the 'Homigos' have always flowered well.

So, there I am this morning...checking all the hydrangeas' buds & just for grins I started nosing around the variegated ones. Lo 'n Behold! Buds! Yes, I've actually got multiple buds on every plant (there are four variegated shrubs).

Here's what happened...

Early spring, I had the same "dead-looking" sticks as usual. This time though because of weather I didn't get them cut down. Then, in late April, I noticed they were leafing out on the "dead" stems as were the 'Homigos'. So, I just left every shrub alone. More new leaves...higher & higher up the "dead" stems. It's still happening. Every week there are more leaves up the stems. Now, I've got flower buds in the leaf axils. I have only had flowers on new growth on my 'Homigos'. This year, I'll have flowers on old & new growth.

I'm now wondering if I always would have had flowers & I just simply cut them off? Or, was it because we had such a warm early winter? Was it in fact so warm that my 'Miss Kim' didn't meet dormancy requirements but my variegated hydrangeas are flowering?

Being a gardener always presents more questions than I have answers for; but, I'm sure looking forward to July. My hydrangeas are going to be awesome this year!

Tricia

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    16 years ago

Be sure to post photos in July. I am glad for you!

WG

• triciae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're right! I'm not much of one to use a camera but I'll ask hubby to start taking pictures now of the buds & as they progress to flowers. Since I may never see them again on the variegated shrubs...:(

Tricia

• runktrun
    16 years ago

What a great treat. I have had four Variegated Hydrangeas for about seven years, being a compulsive transplanter these have probably been moved at least six times, shade, sun, and part sun. I have never cut them back and each year they have leafed out on old wood as well as new. Not surprisingly the number of blossoms have increased as the winters have progressively warmed up. I am a hydrangea nut and would suggest if you see a repeated success with your variegated H, you might want to try 'Altona'...hands down the show stopper in my yard, 'Niederstachen'...hands down the show stopper in my yard. I took a Hydrangea workshop at Polly Hill last summer and would be happy to share more info and suggested plants if your interested. Gotta Run. Kt Oh..Oh..Oh.. Happy to review my variegated, pink, and small leaf climbing hydrangeas as well.

• triciae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

runktrun,

I'm also growing Hydrangea anomala petiolaris 'Mirranda' which is a variegated (yellow/green) climber. I got it as just a baby rooted clipping, about 6" tall, from Variegated Nursery a couple years ago & planted it at the base of a mature white pine. It's growing very well (about 3' tall now & putting out laterals) but hasn't yet flowered. Are there other climbing hydrangeas that I'm not aware of? How fun...hmmm, how many large trees do I have to grow them up?? :)

I googled 'Altona' & it looks wonderful! Still have to look up 'Niederstachen'. I'm already looking forward to spring '08 & this years' hydrangeas haven't even bloomed yet! lol

Have a great weekend.

Tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea anomala petiolaris 'Mirranda'

• ego45
    16 years ago

"Are there other climbing hydrangeas that I'm not aware of? "
    Tricia, did you 'discovered' for yourself Schizophragmas already?
    If I had a chance to know them before, I wouldn't have a problem now to find a sturdy enough trees to plant several more.
    IMO, much more interesting plant than H.petiolaris.

• runktrun
    16 years ago

Tricea,
    The Hydrangea lecture that was presented by both Scotts and Polly Hill Arboretum last summer spent a good amount of time reviewing new and old cultivars that grow well in my zone. I have scanned the handouts from that lecture as well as the Dirr Hydrangea handout from his lecture tour last year that we were given as well, and would be happy to email these to you or anyone else who is interested but please forward me katyguerin@comcast.net your email address as I have given up on GW mail. My notes from this lecture are pure chicken scratch but one interesting point was they felt Hydrangea petiolaris 'Firefly' is a better choice than 'Miranda'. I too have 'Miranda' but mine seems to be at a standstill and I would love to try 'Firefly' as well. Cousin to H petiolaris is Schizophragmas hydrangeoides (Japanese Climbing Hydrangea). I have fallen in love with Schizophragma Roseum the leaves are not as shiny as H petiolaris but are thick dark green with a red blush that compliments the red of the new vine growth. This has been a moderate grower for me 3' it's first year. Another Schizophragma that was mentioned for itÂs beautiful flower at the lecture was ÂMoonlightÂ, which again I would love to try. I do grow Schizophragma ÂPlatts DwarfÂ, comments had been made to itÂs slow growth made this plant not worth while but my experience has been exactly the opposite with six feet of growth the first year. I will say some of its leaves seem to be reverting to a larger leaf. Another hydrangea that I that you might want to try is ÂLilacina 7 large but a real beauty, smaller 3-5 and new to me but my overall favorite Hydrangea serrata 'Miyama Yae-murasaki', Unusual in size 2 x 3 and blossom is another serrata ÂShirifugiÂ. Some small sized macrophyllaÂs that were recommended at the lecture that I am going to try this year are the City Lights Series, ÂViennaÂ, ÂParisÂ, ÂVeniceÂ, and ÂBerlinÂ. I will take a walk around the yard and see what else comes to mind. kt

• triciae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for the hydrangea info. These plants are one of my favorites because they are my very first childhood memories of gardening. My paternal grandparents lived in Portland, Oregon & they were both dedicated gardeners. I can remember being no more than 3-4 years old & being so enthralled with the huge, round blue flowers that were larger than my own head. I'm unsure if it was perception because of my young age and, hence, short stature but my memory is that these shrubs were very tall because they towered over me in huge masses of bright blooms. I spent the first half of my life in SoCA & hydrangeas were not a good choice due to their water requirements. So, since I've been in New England (20 years now) I've been on a mission to grow hydrangeas as beautifull as Grandpa's. When I lived in New Hampshire (Z5), success was limited at best. Now that we're in SE CT though it looks like I've got the cards stacked more favorably in my direction. (The awe inspiring yellow climbing roses of my Mom's still illude me!)

I've checked out Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Roseum' from a Google search & located it at Big Dipper Farm. The only downside I found on my searches was that it is, sometimes, a victim of Japanese beetle attack. Any experience with that?

I'm ordering 'Roseum' this morning. I think I've still got time to get it established this season & have a perfect mature tree for it to climb. I only hope they send a small rooted cutting because carving out a planting pocket near the trunk will be tough!

Again, thanks for all of the info. I'm also going to research the smaller-sized macrophyllas. I'm quickly running out of room for larger shrubs.

Looks like we've got a pretty good rain coming in tonight...nice timing, after a terrific weekend!

Tricia

• triciae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here a picture of my variegated hydrangea buds...if you look closely you can see four in the shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated Hydrangea Buds

• triciae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's my baby 'Mirranda'. It's going to do a good job of lighting up a dark, shady corner of the garden near the shed.

Tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea 'Mirranda'

• runktrun
    16 years ago

tricia,
    Your Mirranda is very sweet and looks great with your blue Hosta. Today I picked up Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight' at my local nursery and it has IMHO a stunning leaf which I think is possibly more formal and beautiful than any of the above. I would urge you to consider making this one you next purchase. kt aka The Enabler

• ego45
    16 years ago

Kt said, 'Today I picked up Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Moonlight' at my local nursery and it has IMHO a stunning leaf which I think is possibly more formal and beautiful than any of the above.'
    Exactly. Let me sign the above statemeent as well.

• triciae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh drats! I'm going to have to start "borrowing" my neighbors large trees! lol

I love the red new stems. I've got one tree left that can handle a large vine. Decisions, decisions...

Had a thought...I've got the mixed variegated & 'Homigo' hedge, right? OK, well...maybe, I could pull some of the 'Homigo' & replace with other varieties? I purchased the 'Homigo' because they were touted as blooming on new wood & very reliable which they've been for me. But, now I'm feeling quite daring & want to try some of the hydrangeas I never felt would bloom. Of course, you know as soon as I lose my 'Homigos', we'll have a wicked winter & everything will die except the one or two 'Homigos' that I kept! lol

I'm acting like a little kid with these shrubs. I'm out there several times a day watching new buds form & the first buds grow larger. I can hardly wait for July!

kt & ego45...yes, you are both enablers!

/T

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

ilovesummer brought friends to the 'retum today and she and i talked about varieg. hydrangea vines. i have miranda
    and she just got firefly. so kt has interesting info in her post above about them.

i'm into vines big-time now. here are some shots:
    hydrangea vine miranda

From CARB VINES

From CARB VINES

our schizophragma hydr. Moonlight and Bear Island (we got from 2000 Bear Fest in Belfast ME)

From CARB VINES

close-up, silvery leaf w/ moss green veins