Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red maples (acer rubrum) leaves look bad

Posted by carol6ma_7ari zones 6 %26 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 12:06

We have 3 red maples, also called swamp maples, on our land near the ocean. The neighbors have one. Lots of other kinds of trees in both lots. But I notice the acer rubrums look damaged or sad: leaves not as big or dark as usual. Other trees in the area look OK.

Could it be a disease? Or could it be the aftereffects of Hurricane Irene? Remember last September - that did a job on many trees, desiccated all the windward leaves. Maybe this is a lingering effect?

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red maples (acer rubrum) leaves look bad

It could be some kind of salt damage. If that's it, I'd expect them to look better next year, unless there has been some sort of permanent change to the groundwater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here