Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

What is Blooming in Your Garden - June 2011 - Photos Part 2

pixie_lou
12 years ago

This is a place to post photos, and to discuss, what is blooming in your garden. This is the second thread for June 2011.

During the heavily blooming summer months, I will post multiple threads each month. When we hit too many posts, I will try to start a new thread. The number of threads per month will depend on how many people post photos.

To see previous months photos. . .

June 2011 Part I

May 2011

April 2011

March 2011

Comments (43)

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was a new addition to my garden this year. Ismene, aka Peruvian Daffodil. The bulb bag caught my eye in the store due to the unusual flower. It looks like there are 2 more buds on the stem.

I'll see how long the blossoms last, and then see it the bulbs survive the winter. If so, I will be buying many more of these next spring. I love the look.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Love that flower form!!

Here's what bloomed the past couple of weeks:

{{gwi:1078491}}

Winter sown feverfew
    {{gwi:397917}}

Trollius ledebourii/Chinese globeflower
    {{gwi:397918}}

{{gwi:1078493}}

Winter sown Dianthus barbatus/sweet William
    {{gwi:235921}}

Campanula/bellflower
    {{gwi:1078495}}

Winter sown Lychnis chalcedonica/Maltese cross
    {{gwi:235922}}

{{gwi:1078497}}

{{gwi:1078499}}

Meadow sage
    {{gwi:1078501}}

{{gwi:1078502}}

Winter sown Penstemon/beardtongue 'Mystica'
    {{gwi:199167}}

{{gwi:1078504}}

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gardenweed - love your feverfew. I have a couple feverfew that all started with a "bird dropping" a few years ago. I have a bunch of volunteers all over the walkways - I'm waiting for them to get a bit bigger so that I can transplant them to the garden.

I have a second blossom on my Ismene today. It was the saddest looking thing all day today - then around 5 pm, the blossom just burst open and those tendril things curled down. Gorgeous!

(You can see my feverfew in the background - but mine is the double blossom - which has no medicinal purposes.)

• lschibley
    12 years ago

I posted in the other thread, but gonna report here since I missed it the first time. Hope that is ok.

Mt. Laurel I think Carousel, though am not certain on the cultivar

From 2011-06-18 (by Eye-Fi)

Iris and Fringe Tree (Mt. Laurel is in the background)

Campanula, Veronica, and Daisies with Purple-leaf Sand-cherry in the background

Penstemon, Artemisia, and Thyme

Start of a raised foliage garden. This wall faces north-west and gets too hot in the afternoon for some of the foliage plants I envisioned here. Might have to rethink the whole space.

Annual pots by the front door

Close-up of the pots

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

I posted in the other thread, but gonna report here since I missed it the first time. Hope that is ok.

Mt. Laurel I think Carousel, though am not certain on the cultivar

Iris and Fringe Tree (Mt. Laurel is in the background)

Campanula, Veronica, and Daisies with Purple-leaf Sand-cherry in the background

Penstemon, Artemisia, and Thyme

Start of a raised foliage garden. This wall faces north-west and gets too hot in the afternoon for some of the foliage plants I envisioned here. Might have to rethink the whole space.

Annual pots by the front door

Close-up of the pots

• lschibley
    12 years ago

Nice! You've really done a lot in a short amount of time - it looks great. Is that a ligularia in the foliage garden? Mine really like a lot of shade, they do wilt in the sun unless they're constantly watered. That looks like a spot ready-made for some grasses!

And, my apologies, I think I posted a follow-up on the part 1 thread, and I should have added that it was a closed thread.

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Not only is that a ligularia, but it is YOUR ligularia! I love it and thank you for sharing. And thanks for the kind words. I am worried that strong afternoon sun will be too much for those plants, but so far they haven't done too bad. They are in full shade until 1pm then full sun until about 5pm. So definitely not ideal for a shade-loving plant, but I was worried that sun plants wouldn't do well either. This will just have to be a hit or miss space.

Lisa

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, that last peony is a stunner - what great color. Maybe you should submit that one to Fine Gardening's'photo of the day' - directions are on the lower right of the page at the link.

Can you tell me how meadow sage does for you? The close up photo of the flowers is beautiful, what's the growth habit like - and how long does it bloom? I think I planted a few of those this spring but the tag's gone...

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of the day at FG

• rayc-cactus
    12 years ago

DTD - thanks! The peonies were spectacular this year and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Sure wish they bloomed longer, though. Thanks for the FG link.

I first bought meadow sage 4 years ago and it was fab until this year. Maybe it was all the winter snow or the cold, wet spring but all of them flopped open this year. The bloom time is long--several weeks--and the bees/butterflies love them but I ended up having to put peony rings around them for the first time due to the flopping. In years past they stayed a nice bushy mound right through the season. The one in the photo was only tagged meadow sage but I also have East Friesland and May Night. The May Night (which is new) didn't flop but the established East Friesland did.

I'm growing several more salvias via seed (winter sown) and will be interested to see how those perform down the road a bit.

• bill_ri_z6b
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1078506}}

{{gwi:1078507}}

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Ray C,
    Where did you get the red flowered prickly pear? I have yellow and two large pad types, one is O. englemanii with large spines, and the other one has large pads, maybe 9-10" and is about to bloom. I think it will be yellow. What other cacti and/or succulents do you grow?

• wispfox
    12 years ago

It's a link, but it shows the current state of my garden as of yesterday!

Here is a link that might be useful: June 2011

• rayc-cactus
    12 years ago

(it makes me change the title)

Oooh, blooming cacti in the Northeast? What will survive our winters, presuming something besides sedum?

Also, pixie_lou, the Peruvian Daffodil is just stunning!

Suzanne

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Bill___ri the red one is Opuntia polyacantha v. polyacantha x fragilis �Claude Arno�

In the other June pic thread there is Opuntia 'Nebraska' orange. Also in the other is Escobaria missouriensis quite easy to grow non-opuntia and also Echinocereus reichenbachii
    All told I think I have about 27 different ones, mostly opuntias of course. I have 6 I just got this year and they haven't been a winter yet

• terrene
    12 years ago

OMG, wispfox, is there a garage in there? Or .. a house? On the lower left side - I missed it when I first looked. Talk about green roofs!

{{gwi:1078509}}

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys, up in the middle of the night surfing a little and listening to the Great horned owl...

Gardenweed, I agree that is a very pretty Peony shot.

Lschibley, nice pictures, love the white Campanula, your Husker's Red is doing great (mine has officially died out), and I like the stone edging around your garden bed.

Ray, unusual but pretty cactus blooms for New England. Do they make fruits?

Wispfox, you sure do have an established garden there. The previous owner was quite the gardener. You may need to do a little thinning, and cutting back from the house. As a property manager, I get the willies when I see vegetation growing on buildings. :) Looks like a lot of terrific plants though! Future swap material, hint hint??

I'll have to post a few pics soon.

• wispfox
    12 years ago

For all interested in my Ismene - I don't think this is going to be a keeper bulb. Each blossom seems to last about 5 days. It's on day 6 of blooming - the first blossom is gone, the second blossom is breathing it's last breaths, and the 3rd blossom is definitely past prime.

I will dig it out of the garden, attempt to keep it upside down, try not to let it get below 60 degrees, and attempt to put it in a pot for my patio next spring. If it survives and blooms again - great. But at $5 per bulb, it seems to be too much $$$ for such a quick bit of beauty and enjoyment. (though I will say - I am glad I picked such a front and center location in my garden for this year - it is an eye catcher).

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

digginginthedirt: Yes, the garage is _under_ the backyard. Kind of nutty!

We're thinking that at some point we need to remove the dirt and plants and put in a patio or something, since that's a lot of weight on the garage.

Terrene: "You may need to do a little thinning, and cutting back from the house. As a property manager, I get the willies when I see vegetation growing on buildings. :)"

Agreed! I've already cut and pulled roots out from a wysteria that was _RIGHT_ against the house and eating our siding and gutter. I'll be keeping an eye on it, since I don't trust it to stay dead! We're thinking the wysteria on the porch might be ok if we keep it low and not getting anything but the porch railing area. Where else were you worrying about?

I've been trimming, but I'm trying to figure out what things are in order to determine if I want to keep them or given them away or make them die, die, die. TOmorrow morning, ontheteam is coming over to take some stuff that I _know_ needs to not be where it is, but which is still quite interesting (as per the spirea japonica I brought with me! There's a bunch more).

"Looks like a lot of terrific plants though! Future swap material, hint hint??"

Heck yes! Once I know what everything is. Do you perhaps now see why I had large containers of things like spiderwort and L-O-V for people? :)

Whee, crazy yard!

Sz

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Those cacti are really amazing. Gorgeous.

The canterbury bells were a new addition this year. I love how I have the 2 different colors mixed together.

Is this oenethra? Or evening primrose? Whatever it is, I love it. Nice clumps of bright yellow flowers!

I have the double blossomed feverfew - no medicinal purposes for these blooms.

A favorite of mine - motherwort. I love how it blossoms along the stem. Not sure if it is considered a weed or not - it came in hitchhiking with some rhubarb transplants. It gets bigger every year, but has not been reseeding, so I don't consider it a weed.

And not quite "in bloom", but my veggie beds are doing fantastic this year.

• lschibley
    12 years ago

This is the last of the peonies. It's been a great year for these plants. This photo doesn't capture the deep color of this one's blooms, but ...

From Spring2011

This one, believe it or not, came from the rootstock of a tree peony, which I stepped on halfway through its first winter, snapping off the "better" plant.

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

DtD That is an extraordinary Peony.

Not much blooming in this picture, but I have to say I love my Cornus Controversa. When the Astilbe and Oakleaf Hydrangea come out, this might be a nice corner.

From 2011-06-21 (by Eye-Fi)

Another view of the path

And a close-up of the foliage.

Lisa

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

My favorite peony, Mrs. F. D. Roosevelt.

Makes me feel like Georgia O'Keeffe...

Astilbe 'White Gloria' (I think.)

Astilbe 'Red Sentinel'? (Its tag is right there. I should read it.) Not quite blooming, but soon.

Canterbury bells. I grew these from seed last year, but even though the seed pack clearly read Canterbury bells, I kept thinking Blue Clips/White Clips. I had no idea what these were when they started to bud!

Hydrangea 'Endless Summer'

Hydrangea 'Penny Mac'

Heuchera Dolce Mocha Mint. I bought this on impulse and it has turned out to be one of my favorite coral bells. Lovely leaves all season. Long bloom time.

Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears.

Magnolia g. 'Bracken's Brown Beauty'

And fading.

Philadelphus v. 'Innocence'

Mountain laurel.

Gaultheria procumbens. Not very flashy, but blooming! I had it where it wasn't at all happy so I moved it and bought it a mate. It seems much happier now.

• leslie6ri
    12 years ago

Lisa - how do you get your Darmera peltata to look so good? Mine's always full of holes - apparently every leaf-eater in the neighborhood likes it. That Cornus controversa is really stunning.

Leslie, that's one gorrgeous magnolia. Isn't it shocking to have hydrangeas in bloom in June? What will we do in August and September? Did you plant the Gaultheria? I've tried a few times, but it has never survived for me - what's your secret?

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Hi diggingthedirt,

Yes, I planted the Gaultheria. The first one I planted must have been in too much shade and it just sat there and did nothing except look miserable. I tried transplanting it this Spring in a less shady spot (though still high shade) and also bought a second plant to keep it company. They're only about four feet apart. Both now have little white bells and I'm hoping for red berries in Fall. I think my secret is dumb luck. Have you ever tried planting two together? That's all I can think of.

I thought the hydrangeas were early. I have some on the North side of the house that are still developing, but the 3 on the South side are now blooming away.

My magnolia 'BBB' is still pretty small. I get one flower at a time and probably have no more than 8 buds in all. I have to pay attention so I don't miss them. Lemon-scented. Mmmm.

Wish you had a name for your peony! It's beautiful.

gardenweed, do you know the name of that last peony in your group? It's a gorgeous color! Beautiful photos.

Ischibley, I envy your flair for design. My pots never look like yours.

pixie lou, please let us know if your Peruvian daffodil survives the winter. Could it be hardy? Gorgeous flower.

And speaking of hardy... rayc-cactus, are you growing these cacti outside --in the ground (all Winter)? I saw Opuntia growing outside in a gravel mounded bed at Quackin' Grass Nursery in CT, but I never dared try myself.

Leslie

• runktrun
    12 years ago

Leslie - unfortunately, my careful labeling at the time I planted that peony was dependent on a Sharpie marker so the name is long gone I'm afraid. I grew it bare-root from plants I bought at Costco in March 2007. If I find the original package label (I usually keep them), I'll post the name here. I checked my garden notes and I noted the date I planted it but I must not have known the name at that point or I'd have included it.

• ILoveLily
    12 years ago

Nan,
    Joe and I were blown away by the Cornus kousa on display all around Woods Hole and Falmouth yesterday. What a banner year. Any chance we can twist your arm to drive around with your camera and post a parade of Cornus kousa photos? kt

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

so pretty

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    12 years ago

Gardenweed, you've got a lot of nice winter sown plants, what is that deep rose dainthus variety? Very pretty and a nice neat height too.

Lisa, your Campanula combo in the front of your house, is so cheerful looking. And I like the bed with the rock edge and the Japanese Maple in it. Your Cornus Controversa is really filling in and is such a nice bright spot with the darker background.

Nice to see some hardy cactus flowering too, rayc.

Wispfox, I find your garage fascinating. Isn't it sort of like a 'green roof'? I wonder if they had an architect design it to withstand the weight? I love your stone steps, and what is the flowering shrub to the left of them? Very pretty.

PixieLou, Nice vegetable garden beds. I see pinwheels, are those to keep rabbits out? Are they working?

Gorgeous Tree Peony, DTD!

Leslie, that is definitely a 'Georgia Keefe' shot of that gorgeous Peony. I also really love your BBB Magnolia. The blossoms look so waxy and thick! I just planted a Gaultheria this year for the first time and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have mine in part shade near a Juniper.

Everyone's garden looks great!

• ILoveLily
    12 years ago

Boy, I'm really enjoying these photo threads to see what is going on in everyone's gardens. Such beautiful gardens and photos everyone is sharing.

Lisa, I have been thinking a lot about your Cornus wondering how it has been doing and am so glad you posted a picture. It does not disappoint!

• chardie
    12 years ago

i love these as a border

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wispfox
    12 years ago

This is a week or so ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: roses

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

prairiemoon2: Kind of like a green roof! Except it's more like a garage dug into a hill. I have _no_ idea if it was designed; I think the garage predates the previous owners. Looking to the left of the steps... that's probably the spirea japonica? (that or the dogwood, but I doubt it) I have lots randomly in that front yard, and am in fact likely going to go dig some up to give away soon. :)

Suzanne

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

PM2 - that's year 2 for 'Eastern Star' dianthus that I just couldn't NOT buy when I saw it. I actually bought two the same day. Both are planted in the same bed at opposite ends, tucked in close to other, taller perennials but they sure make a statement when they bloom. The camera really doesn't do the color justice. Now if I could just find something taller that blooms in that color toward the middle of the season... I'm gradually seeing where more vivid colors are needed to really make the beds catch your eye and will winter sow this year with that in mind.

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

I'm so envious of all these beautiful blooms! I'm sort of in a dead season now that the daffodils and alliums are long gone, and the Iris too is past. Only a few early daylilies are staring to open, but it will be a month before they and the tall phlox are in full bloom. Annual marigolds and geraniums and gerbera daisies in pots are my only flowers until then. I'll just have to get vicarious enjoyment from everyone else's photos until late July when I can post my own.

Gardenweed, I love the golden Chinese globeflower and the dark purple (almost black) sweet William and the beautiful pink mountain laurel.

Digging, that bright pink peony is simply gorgeous. I really need to figure out where to plant some peonies. I love them, esp the more intense pinks, and I believe peonies do well in colder climates so they should thrive here.

Wispfox, such amazing foliage!! I guess I would share your concerns about the weight on the garage roof, but I would also hate to see that greenery, and the privacy it must afford, go.

Pixie, I love your pot with the sunflower motif. It really makes your front step setting.

Lschibley, your peaceful little nook with the garden bench beside the brick walkway leading to your porch is wonderful with or without anything blooming.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Here are few more that I finally uploaded:

Winter sown Geum 'Mrs. Bradshaw'
    {{gwi:397919}}

Philadelphus/Mock orange
    {{gwi:397920}}

Winter sown Verbascum 'Milkshake'
    {{gwi:199161}}

Bee on winter sown penstemon/beardtongue 'Mystica'
    {{gwi:196352}}

Gaillardia/blanket flower 'Golden Goblin'
    {{gwi:1078543}}

The daylilies are up next and I've counted nearly double the number of scapes on them over last year. All my winter sown Echinaceas are loaded with buds that are starting to open but it doesn't look as though they came true from seed. I was really hoping 'Tiki Torch' would come true but hope is dimming. My 'White Swan' is finally getting the chance to put on a show now that the foxes eliminated the bunny population and we "relocated" all the woodchucks.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wispfox, I wonder if the town would have any records of the plans when your house was built? At any rate, it would seem it has tolerated the weight for awhile, how long did the previous owners live there? That must be a pretty big spirea. I thought it was a Philadelphus.

Gardenweed, that 'Eastern Star' doesn't happen to be fragrant too, does it? LOVE Philadelphus! I had one in too much shade and would like to find another spot for one of the doubles.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

leslie - that magnolia is spectacular. I would love to add one to my yard - but we have so many trees around here I don't have room for any more! I don't have anywhere on the property with full sun.

The Ismene was short lived. Though spectacular for the week it was in bloom. The bulb is only hardy in zones 8-10. And from the reading I've been doing, it seems as if the bulb needs some TLC after it is dug out. So not sure I have what it takes to help it survive the winter. I'm most concerned about the statement telling me not to let the bulb get under 60 degrees - that pretty much eliminates my whole house!

PM2 - yes, the pinwheels are for the bunnies. And they seem to be effective. I've seen many bunnies in the yard lately, but no damage to the veggie garden.

This week in bloom - more coreopsis. As I look at these beautiful, full clumps - I'm wondering why I didn't plant more coreopsis.

Since I don't like trees or shrubs in front of my house, I rely on lillies and heliotrope to add height in my front garden. Both die back to the ground all winter, so I don't have to worry about snow damage to the plants.

Close up of the eyeliner lillie

• wispfox
    12 years ago

pixie lou, that's good to know, since I saw a baby bunny in the yard yesterday. So far it is only eating the clover in the lawn, but....

Very pretty lily!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

prairiemoon2: possibly! However the inspector was quite concerned about it when he looked at it when we bought the house, so we'll probably eventually replace it with vegetable gardens. And I don't think we'd get rid of _all_ of the vegetation back there, just some.

What color bush were you asking about? Flower color may help be sure which you mean. :)

Suzanne

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    12 years ago

It was white, Suzanne.

Oh, well, if the inspector had concerns, then I guess you have to take that seriously. I've never seen a garage like that. Vegetable gardens would be great to add. We love ours.

• rayc-cactus
    12 years ago

Itea virginica (Virginia Sweetspire) is blooming next to Hydrangea Blue Billow which is just beginning to open.

I love the way the Itea flowers dangle like a waterfall.

Some dicentra is still blooming next to and under the itea. At this rate, the dicentra will outlast the itea.

The hydrangea is already covered with bees (as is the itea).

Phlox maculata, meadow phlox, is beginning to open. This phlox is a major weed here but it's beloved by the hummingbirds and blooms happily everywhere. I'll deadhead it a few times to keep blooms going through the summer then pull out a lot of it just to give other plants a chance.

My old inherited rose Dorothy Perkins is just beginning to bloom in a few spots; here next to the obligatory phlox. The main rose, which used to inhabit a rose arch, will open over the next week or two.

And, of course, there's the daylily Stella de Oro. Common, but common with a reason. Blooms early and often with minimal care. The yellow's a bit difficult to work with, but I don't mind.

Claire

• bill_ri_z6b
    11 years ago

Few more:
    {{gwi:1078553}}

{{gwi:1078554}}

{{gwi:1078555}}

{{gwi:1078556}}

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have lots of things in bloom but nothing that hasn't been posted here by someone already.

Ray,
    For some reason none of your photos will load for me.

{{gwi:5901}}