Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good tree source - north / central VT

Posted by jwutzke 5 and then some (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 13:10

Looking for a good source for "ordinary" trees in northern / central Vermont. (I'm in Burlington; our property's in Sharon.) In other words, I'm not looking for fancy flowering crabs or Asian whatchamacallits, but something like shagbark hickory, oaks, and the like - ideally native species. Most nurseries only seem to stock the fancy and the exotic - and then only in 2" caliper sizes starting at $80 or $125 per tree. I'd love to find someone selling 3' saplings; they'll do just fine.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good tree source - north / central VT

Try EC Brown in Thetford VT. I don't remember the route number but the nursery is on the west side (bottom) of Thetford Hill. You might call first to see if they have what you want.
Kathy

o

A great nursery that you pass by when you come down 89, almost to Sharon, is Dandelion Acres in Bethel. I was just there yesterday after not going for a few years and was once again very impressed with the high quality of the plants. I didn't look at the trees this time, but I could see they have a lot. Just get off at the Bethel exit (I believe its exit 3) then head toward Bethel for about a mile or maybe a little less. Or maybe they are the place that has only exotics?
Kathy

o
I forgot to mention...

A great nursery that you pass by when you come down 89, almost to Sharon, is Dandelion Acres in Bethel. I was just there yesterday after not going for a few years and was once again very impressed with the high quality of the plants. I didn't look at the trees this time, but I could see they have a lot. Just get off at the Bethel exit (I believe its exit 3) then head toward Bethel for about a mile or maybe a little less. Or maybe they are one of the place you have tried?
Kathy

o

Once you've checked D Acres continue toward Sharon via Rt's 107 & 14 to Royalton Village there's one of those VT black & white directional signs to Stepping Stone Nursery across the White R. I don't recall whether they sell trees but are "in the loop" and can point you in the right direction.

o

I have purchased trees from the Arbor Day website. You have to join for a fee but you get free trees with your membership. They sell lots of small trees at a reasonable price. It's worth a look. Another place to look is Free trees and Plants. They charge $7.95 for two bare root trees.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 20:36

You could contact the Vermont Association of Conservation Districts since you're looking for native trees. Conservation Districts often hold tree and other plant sales (although not in mid-summer) and they may be able to give you sources.

Claire

o

The New Hampshire state nursery sells wonderful seedlings of trees and shrubs, most of them are native. They are 1-2 year old seedlings and very healthy. You have to buy packs of 10 or more, but they are so cheap, $1-1.50 apiece. They only take orders throughout the winter and ship as soon as soil can be worked in the Spring. Hardy and well-adapted to our colder zones.

Incidentally, from what I understand some trees such as Hickorys and many Oaks are difficult to transplant beyond small seedlings because they grow a deep taproot, so you can only plant them as young seedlings. These would be ideal for starting from seed if you're so inclined.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Hampshire state forest nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here