Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spedigrees

Hollyhocks?

spedigrees z4VT
12 years ago

Well as long as I'm asking for advice, I have another question about hollyhocks. To my dismay, HeirloomSeeds.com has suspended their business due to a serious illness in their family. :-(

Anyways my past experience with growing hollyhocks long ago was apparently with hybrid versions in beautiful colors which were perennial but defaulted to anemic pale yellow flowers after the first year.

Heirloom seeds sold only open pollinated (non-hybrid) seeds. (I'm so glad I bought from them last year but wish I'd ordered more seeds while I was at it!)

So, my first question is, does anyone know of another place that sells non-hybrid, open-pollinated perennial hollyhock seeds??

My second question is how much sun do hollyhocks need? I have a dismal looking stretch on the back of the house that I want to break up by the use of a row of tall spire-type flowers. Sunflowers would be perfect but this area gets strong sunlight only from early morning until noon, half the day, and I do not think that would be enough sun. Can hollyhocks do well with this amount of sunlight?

And lastly I have read that hollyhocks put down deep tap roots. Just how deep?? We have an underground drainage tile running around the foundation of our house and I want to be sure that whatever I plant will not put down roots that will grow into the drainage culverts.

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem and/or answers to my questions.

Comments (3)