Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

Recipes From the Billerica Swap

littleonefb
14 years ago

OK everyone who came to the Billerica Swap and brought home made goodies.

Everything tasted so wonderful and everyone seems to want the recipes, including me.

So, here's a thread to post those recipes for everyone to have.

Rosemary thyme bread

Cranberry bread

Banana bread

That wonderful salad

Apple knobby cake

Cocoa Marshmallows

Did I miss anything that was brought for a recipe? If I did just post the recipe here.

Thanks in advance, and all of us are patiently waiting for the recipes.

Fran

Comments (7)

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot, and please don't ask me how I did, those awesome phyllo triangles. They where just wonderful, got to have that recipe too. The few left over where a wonderful addition to dinner last night.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot Lisa's wonderful chicken salad recipe too.

Where are the recipes?

Fran

• Started_with_bean
    14 years ago

Glad you enjoyed those little triangles. I had to make a 2nd batch because my husband wanted his share too! Hope your surgery goes well, and if your husband finds this recipe too daunting, Trader Joe's also sells some great phyllo appetizers!

Savory Cheese Pastriessize =5>
    (copyrighted: Nick Stellino's Mediterranean Flavors)size =1>

4 garlic cloves
    Zest of 1 lemon
    3/4 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
    1/4 C ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    1/2 chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1/2 t ground cumin
    1/2 t saffron powder or turmeric
    1/4 t Tabasco sauce
    1/2 lb frozen phyllo dough, thawed
    8 T melted butter

Chop the garlic and lemon zest together until finely minced and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the feta cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, parley, cumin, saffron/turmeric and Tabasco sauce and mix well. Set aside.

Place the phyllo dough on a flat surface and cut through the stack crosswise, making 2 equal stacks. Put the 2 stacks on top of each other and cover with a dampened paper towel (I put the phyllo between the piece of packing plastic and the paper towel over the plastic).

Preheat over to 375F. To assemble the pastries, take a sheet of phyllo from the stack and place it in front of you, with the short side closest to you. Lightly brush with the melted butter (really lightly or it'll tear easily!). Place 1 T of the cheese filling on the pastry 1" from the bottom in the center of the sheet. Fold the right 1/3 of the sheet to the center, covering the cheese, then fold the left 1/3 over the cheese. Bring the bottom right corner of the roll up and across to the opposite side, forming a triangle. Continue folding in this manner, as if you were folding a flag. The phyllo is fragile, so handle it carefully. don't worry about small tears that may occur as you begin to fold, they will be folded to the inside as you continue folding. Place the finished triangle on a greased baking sheet (or use parchment paper instead of greasing) and brush the top with the melted butter. Repeat with the remaining phyllo and filling.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve warm.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Started with Bean for the recipe. If hubby can't manage mixing, I'm sure his ability to fold the phyllo dough part will work. that will capture the math part of him, folding and stuff to make a perfect triangle.

Did you use saffron powder or turmeric in the ones you brought?

OK everyone where are the rest of the recipes?

Fran

• Started_with_bean
    14 years ago

I actually put in saffron threads, as that was all I had around, but I've made it with just turmeric in the past and it still tasted just as good!

• leira
    14 years ago

These were a childhood favorite, which I recently re-added to my repertoire, since they're so simple and tasty.

Ingredients:
    2 cups sugar
    3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup milk
    3 cups quick-cooking oats
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Instructions:
    In a saucepan, mix together sugar, cocoa, butter or margarine, and milk. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Add remaining ingredients and drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow to set for 30 minutes.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Leira, that sounds wonderful and easy to make. Even hubby can manage that one for sure.

Fran