Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

6th annul billerica spring plant swap, final details

littleonefb
12 years ago

Hello All,

This is the new post to firm up all the details for the Swap.

Everyone is welcome, with or without any plants, seedlings, divisions to bring.

Don't be shy because you are new to gardening. I promise there will be plenty of seedlings and divisions just for the taking.

I will have plenty of wintersown seedlings and some divisions that will be just for the taking and I'm sure that others will as well.

All of these plants, divisions and seedlings need a home, so please come and enjoy the experience and take home new "babies" for your gardens.

This is a very informal swap. Those that want to post what they may or are bringing are more than welcome to.

And, don't be afraid to list your wants as well or say that you would like particular plants, seedlings that are being brought.

Those that want to ask if there is interest in any plants before they dig them up and divide them are more that welcome to do so. Better to ask if anyone is interested in them or wants them before spending the time digging them up. potting them and bringing them to the swap and then having to bring them home again.

Oh, yes, if you have any gardening books, magazines, pots you don't want, left over seeds, garden supplies of any kind that you want to bring to give away, don't be afraid to bring them. I'm sure someone will want them.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING SMETHING TO TAKE YOUR PLANTS AND SEEDLINGS HOME IN; BOXES, BOX COVERS TRAYS. I DON'T HAVE ANY THAT I CAN GIVE AWAY AT THE SWAP. I NEED ALL OF MINE.

DATE: Saturday June 11, 2011

TIME: 10AM until everyone wants to leave

RAIN DATE: Sunday June 12, 2011

RAIN DATE TIME: 10AM until everyone wants to leave

LOCATION: Billerica MA. I will e-mail address and directions the week of the swap to all who are planning to attend. Please e-mail me for directions and be sure to tell me where you are coming from and include your GW name in the message

The only thing I can't promise is good weather. I hope we will not have to worry about rain, but, as I said above, I do have a carport we can be under if we have to deal with a bit of mist or a chance of showers.

So let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have to deal will heavy rain and need the rain date.

Besides seedlings and some divisions and small plants I have the following to use.

1. Huge table to put various non plant items on

2. several coolers to keep ice and cold drinks in

3. Plastic knives, forks, spoons

4. at least 6-8 chairs, but anyone that wants to bring some folding chairs is welcome to do so.

5. name tags, I should have enough, but will holler out if I find we need more

6. a huge table cover for the table I have

7. a carport to sit under and keep the sun off of us

8. a huge yard and plenty of space to move and put out the plants and seedlings.

9. plenty of parking for everyone.

10. I will provide coffee and the fixins and cups for the coffee

Which now brings me to the volunteer part of the swap. Especially for those that feel "strange" coming because they don't have anything to bring.

So that we can really have a good time and enjoy the swap, anyone that can bring the following items, it will be much appreciated by all of us.

1. ice, to keep drinks cold

2. napkins

3. plates

4. any kind of "goodies" that you would like to bring. cookies, pastry, fruit, etc. Denise is bringing a coffee cake

5. cold drinks

6. plant tags in case someone forgot to label their plants

7. hot/cold cups

8. sharpie pen to label plants that may need to be labeled.

If I missed something on the list or you have a question just holler.

EVERYONE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO EMAIL ME FOR DIRECTIONS,where you are coming from AND PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR GW NAME IN THE MESSAGE SO I WILL KNOW WHO YOU ARE. YOU CAN EMAIL ME THROUGH MY MEMBER PAGE ON GW.

Fran

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Lisa, yes, I will be coming - especially if you are bringing me 12 CLUMPS OF FESCUE!!! YAY!!!

WG

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Whitegarden,

I don't need an even exchange but would you be willing to swap the 12 clumps for a division of phlox,chives X2,iris and mollis? I've got my sister into gardening and they would be nice for her. How about some more white yarrow too, I hate that sh##!!

Fran, I will bring cups,labels,marker and something for the food table..

Lisa

• PRO
    12 years ago

That's a roger Lisa. I will have them all for you!

WG

• Started_with_bean
    12 years ago

Zahzeen: I will hold a canterbury bells for you.

Susan: I'll hold a couple of blue lobelias for you.

Let's hope the weather holds up all the way to Saturday!

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Times flying by so quickly now and it sure has gotten cool out there.

So far we have the following items coming

Zahzeen ---- Guacamole and chips

Agnes ------Those awesome phyllo triangles and plates

Lisa --------cups, labels, markers and ? food for the table.

Still in need of the following

napkins
    ice
    cold drinks
    any goodies you would like to bring to share.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marlene

Heidi and I already have a bunch of perennials set aside for you to bring to Michelle for next year.

Started with Bean

Heidi and Jean asked me to post for them for the following if you have any left

Heidi would like 2 lobelia, painted daisy and gazanias

Jean would like english lavender

I would I like and English lavender as well.

Whitegarden There are several people coming to the swap, including myself that would love some of your Iris immortality.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So far I have the following ready for the swap

balsam impatiens dark pink
    yellow monkey flower
    2 nice size clumps of chives, with flowers on them now, so there should be seeds from the flowers
    1 small pale pink japanese anemone seedling
    canna tubers
    2 purple columbine, bloomed this year with a flower that faces down to the ground, didn't like them so dug them out.
    1 light pink columbine, same bloom as the purple and didn't like
    salpiglossis aka painted tongue, mixed colors
    5 containers of self sown foxglove seedlings, nice sized perennials, mix of colors that will be white, lavender and/or fushia. these are perennial ones.

I'll post more as I get them sorted, and potted up.

I'll also have a bunch of seeds perfect for winter sowing or growing under lights that I collected last summer and fall, and some other garden related stuff for outside for the taking.

Everyone don't forget that gardening anything is more than welcome to come and I will have a table to put stuff on that you want to just offer for the taking.

Also a thought I had today. Would anyone be interested in any indoor plants, divisions of indoor plants, cuttings from them?

Depending on what they might be, I know I would be interested in some, and they are plants, so if you have any, post the list on the thread and see if anyone else, besides me, would be interested in them

Fran

Heidi will have the following

rose campion
    ox eye daisy
    a few dicentra, I believe they are white
    siberian blues
    1 cranes bill geranium
    hens and chickens if anyone wants some post on the thread and she will dig them up
    as many as are wanted of the common orange flowering daylily.

• Started_with_bean
    12 years ago

Fran, I would like a painted tongue if there's any left.

Heidi, I would like the cranesbill geranium and a dicentra if they're not spoken for.

Saved so far:

Zahzeen: canterbury bells

Susan: couple of blue lobelias

Heidi: painted daisy, couple of lobelias, gazanias

Jean: English Lavender

Fran: English Lavender

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me. Marlene you can take some of the Asiatic lilies to the swap if you like. I have to work till 12 30 so I won;t make it.

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Oh! Didn't realize I should post to say what I could bring. La, silly me!

I have a bunch of napkins (someone in our household keeps grabbing extras when we go to restaurants, and I hate throwing them away!). I may be able to get ice.

Suzanne

• fgirl21
    12 years ago

I'll be there with bells on.

For sure bringing the creeping phlox (spoken for) and
    heliopsis.

Spiderwort (tradescantia) if there is any interest

I have purple/yellow bearded iris that could use dividing. Will bring if there is interest.

Let me see what else I have!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Marlene,

I'll have some winter sown cups and some plant divisions for you to bring back to Michelle for her plant sale.

Lisa

• PRO
    12 years ago

I will bring ice. If it's as hot as last year we will need it! I will also bring markers.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So far we have the following items coming

Fran/Heidi ---------- coffee and the fixins for it, table, chairs, table cover, coolers, knives, forks, spoons.

Zahzeen ---- Guacamole and chips

Agnes ------Those awesome phyllo triangles and plates

Lisa --------cups, labels, markers and ? food for the table.

Suzanne/wispfox --------- napkins, maybe ice

whitegarden----------- ice and markers

Still need

cold drinks

any goodies you want to bring.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fgirl21, are those iris a purple and yellow flower or are they purple flowers and yellow flowers?

If both colors are on one flower, I'd love some, Jean would as well.

holding the following

Agnes --- painted tongue, cranesbill geranium and dicentra

• zahzeen
    12 years ago

How wonderful, Fran, Hiedi and ishareflowers! Thanks for contributing to Michelle's 2012 plant sale for the Childrens Hospital. Michelle gets at least $5.00 for perennials (depending on size could be much more). Michelle, any two cents you want to add? Thank you again and of course Childrens' Hospital thanks you!

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

Sshhhh I may NOT be working so maybe I can sneak in...... I am thrilled to have you guys donate to the cause in any case and I am pleased to say we DID raise in partnership with the Avon Costco over $30,000 for Children's this year
    HALF of that is plants.
    And ALL of that is due to Marlene and her tireless dedication. All my volunteers of any size and my family.

• hotzenplotz
    12 years ago

Wow, that sounds like a lot of plants. I'm excited! I will bring cookies and some soda.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH, Michelle, that's wonderful, you and your husband and children should be so proud of all that you have done.

Email me for directions, if you can come, unless you are going to hitch up with Marlene and come from her house.

Hotzenplotz, there will be tons more plants for the taking that I will be listing later tonight.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

please remember to bring something to take all you new plants and seedlings home in.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Have been digging up, potting up and getting the following ready for the swap

New additions all for the taking.

mammath basil
    small clumps of torenia blue and white
    small clumps of torenia fushia and white
    scabiosa dark red
    chinese for get me nots
    marigold disco flame, several in each container
    cosmos picotee
    cosmos "cross" this is a new cross that came up in my yard last summer. I don't know if it will stay stable but others that I have found blooming have.
    this is what it looked like. similar to candystripe, but much larger and very little white on the petals

click on the thumbnail pic for a larger pic of this bloom

Cosmos "painted look", one of my crosses that has stayed stable for over 6 years now. I've called it "painted look because it truly looks like the petals where hand painted.

click on the thumbnail pic for a larger pic to view.

cosmos diablo
    scabiosa dark red

"yvonne's salvia"
    morning glory aomaraski
    morning glory pink star
    morning glory jaimie lynn

Heidi has added

1 large clump of oregano
    5 rudibeckia black eyed susan
    and she will have several cranes bill geraniums

and a correction.. her dicentra is pink not white.

Fran

• scpearson
    12 years ago

I will also be bringing some Maximillian Perennial Sunflowers in addition to the Blue Fescue and cabbage (red and chinese) starts.
    The sunflowers are branching, not single stems. They grow 6 to 8 feet tall. They are wonderful for cutting for bouquets, with many flowers on each stem.

My wish list includes:
    Variegated Solomon Seal and
    Variegated Spider (houseplant) babies.

Fran,(Littleonefb) I am very interested in your Foxgloves for my Mother's shade yard, and maybe some cosmos that aren't spoken for, any type.

I may bring some "inch plant" houseplants. I don't think anyone responded to the inquiry for interest in houseplants, but these are easy plants to grow, and can be mixed in with your windowbox or planters if you are not into houseplants.
    Susan

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan, setting aside foxglove, a 1 of each kind of cosmos for you.

I've been growing the foxglove in a part shade area in one of my beds for the past 7 years. It's an area that stays moist as well both summer and winter and the main plants have thrived and reseeded throughout the bed.

I'd love some of the "ice plant" for a house plant. Not sure how well it will do in my home as I don't get much sunlight inside, but I'm gonna try.

What other house plants do you have that you could bring. You've piqued my interest to try some houseplants again.

Fran

• PRO
    12 years ago

Fran, I'd love the scabiosa dark read, the basil (critters just ate all mine yesterday) and the cosmos diablo. A morning glory would be nice too.

I'll take the sunflowers if no one wants them and plant them in my veggie garden.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

Hi Susan,

I may be able to brab a small division from my var. solomons seal plant for you.

Lisa

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Fran,
    I have some of the easiest house plants in the world! You might like the #1, no fail, no bother plant: its Pothos, and its an attractive plant. I'll bring one with your name on it, along with an inch plant, also attractive and easy. Mom will be delighted with the Foxgloves. Last year I planted a lot of hostas, so her yard is starting to look pretty, but I want to add a bit of perennial color after the tulips are done (have been planting impatients for color).
    Lisa,
    Thank you for checking into the variegated Solomon Seal for me.
    Susan

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whitegarden,
    put aside scabiosa dark read, the basil (critters just ate all mine yesterday) and the cosmos diablo for you.

Susan, inch plant sounds great. I have a variegated pothos plant now, fairly large,
    Do you have a solid green one? That would be perfect to add to the small bit of solid green leaf pothos I have in a small pot.

Fran

• zahzeen
    12 years ago

So, so sorry - need to be in CT this weekend.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

whitegarden, which morning glory do you want.

OH, Marlene, we'll miss you. the plants will be here for you to bring to Michelle, unless she is able to come herself.

Fran

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Hello Fran,
    Have both solid and variegated pothos. Will bring solid for you to mix.
    Are you planning rain or shine? Recent weather shows showers Saturday and Sunday. Its no matter to me, showers or not.
    Susan

• hotzenplotz
    12 years ago

Heidi, Fran

I would be interested in some hens and chickens if still available.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hotzenplotz,
    have told heidi to hold some hens and chickens for you

Susan,

OH, OH, i hadn't heard about the change in weather forecast for Saturday until just a few minutes ago and then saw your post.

As it stands right now, I have no plans to go with the rain date of sunday as the weather forecast is worse for Sunday, then for Saturday.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and see if there are any changes.

So far I'm hearing rain late in the afternoon and evening.

Will keep an eye on the forecasts now and will post and email any changes and/or decisions.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

adding these tomato seedlings for the taking

1 sungold
    1 white wonder
    3 black cherry
    1 warren's yellow cherry
    1 green zebra
    1 early girl

Fran

• PRO
    12 years ago

"White wonder", Me, Me!!!

They were the only tomato that gave me fruit last year.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

it's yours, will put it aside for you in the AM. and which morning glory did you want?

Fran

• wispfox
    12 years ago

So, I have some sort of sedum I've rescued from my sidewalk (it apparently likes to wander!), and could divide both spiderwort (purple or fuscia) and rubarb.

I could offer spiderplant babies of the green & white variety; I think I have at least one baby that could go. Also have various succulents, incuding ghost plant, which are easy to propagate from leaves. never heard of either ice or inch plant, but curious!

Suzanne, typing from her phone

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Suzanne, Thank you for bringing the spiderplant green/white babies.
    I could offer to swap solid green, if you would like.
    I am not sure if "inch plant" is the official name, but that is what the woman called it that gave me some cuttings years ago. I'll bring one for you too.

Yes, I am watching that weather because my husband is scheduled to do a demonstration outside that day. So far I think the morning is going to stay dry for us with showers later in the day.

Fran, is the "sungold" one of the yellow, acid free tomatoes? My Mom just asked me to grow one for her. I haven't started looking for them yet, but that name made me wonder if that is what it is. If it is, I'm interested.
    Susan

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Susan,

There is no such thing as "acid free tomatoes" or low acid tomatoes either.

The PH level from one to another is so low it is barely detectible when actually measured for the PH level.

What appears to be a "low" or "acid free" tomato by taste is the sugar content from one tomato to another that can "mask" the acidic taste in that particular tomato.

Cherry tomatoes are generally sweet, much sweeter than larger tomatoes and some cherry tomatoes are much sweeter than other cherry ones.

Sungold is one of the very sweet cherry tomatoes, so is black cherry, and the longer the black cherry tomato is left to ripen, the sweeter it becomes.
    Warren's yellow cherry is also a very sweet cherry tomato.

But as I said, the PH, acidic level between tomatoes is all the same and it is only taste that makes one perceive that a tomato is low acid or no acid, when in fact, it is the sugar content in the tomato that makes it taste less acidic.

Fran

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone still needing directions, please email me directly through GW, and let me know where you are coming from so that i can get the directions to you.

Please remember to bring something with you to take your plants, divisions, seedlings hope in.

if you have extra chairs to bring, please do as I only have about 8 for us to use.

Any and all garden related items are also more than welcome to be brought to the swap for others to take home with them.
    I have several things, myself, that I will be putting out.

some examples are, old garden magazines, seeds, hoses, decorations, old pots, gardening tools, watering cans, etc.
    if it somehow relates to gardening, plants, flowers and you don't use it any more, bring it along. Someone coming may want to take it home with them along with the plants, seedlings, divisions.

Fran

• PRO
    12 years ago

White would be great, but any one is fine.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whitegarden, i don' have any white morning glory vines.

these are left

morning glory pink star
    morning glory jaimie lynn

both of these are pink

Fran

• fgirl21
    12 years ago

Dug up, potted up - ready to roll tomorrow!

Frannie - we'll be there bright and early this time as we need to head back home no later than noontime.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION

THE SWAP IS ON FOR TOMORROW MORNING.

THE FORECASTS ARE BASICALLY SAYING WE SHOULD BE OK FOR THE MORNING AND IF WE DO GET A FEW SHOWERS, THE PLANTS WILL BE HAPPY AND WE CAN JUST BE UNDER MY CARPORT.

I HAVE ABOUT 8 CHAIRS FOR US TO SIT ON, SO IF YOU HAVE SOME EXTRA ONES, BRING THEM ALONG.

MAYBE AN UMBRELLA, JUST IN CASE. IF WE HAVE THEM, THEN MAYBE WE WON'T NEED THEM, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM, WE MAY WANT THEM.

I'M FIGURING THAT COOL AND A FEW SHOWERS IS A LOT BETTER THAN THE HEAT AND THE HUMIDITY THAT WE HAVE HAD THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS.

I'LL SEE EVERYONE IN THE MORNING AND IF ANY OF YOU ARE IN DOUBT, I EMAILED MY PHONE NUMBER TO ALL WITH THE DIRECTIONS AND WILL CHECK MY EMAIL FREQUENTLY TONIGHT AND FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, BEFORE HEADING OUTSIDE TO SET UP, TO CHECK FOR ANY EMAILS FROM ANYONE AND YOU CAN ALWAYS CALL ME, IF YOU WANT TO, TO DOUBLE CHECK ANYTHING WITH ME.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING ALL OF YOU AND MEETING THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE NEW AND COMING.

LOTS OF PLANTS AND DIVISIONS ARE HERE, SOME DROPPED OFF FOR THE MORNING ALREADY.

DON'T FORGET ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS GARDEN RELATED AND YOU WANT TO PASS ON TO SOMEONE NEW.

SEE YOU ALL IN THE MORNING.

FRAN

• PRO
    12 years ago

Either is fine Fran. No worries. Just came in from dividing my iris. I have TONS!!!

See you tomorrow.

• wispfox
    12 years ago

Thank you for hosting! Was fun even with tons of rain. :) Enjoyed meeting you all!

Suzanne

• hotzenplotz
    12 years ago

Thank you to everybody, I really enjoyed meeting you all. And I will take good care of all the little babies we brought home.
    Silvia and Dan

• hotzenplotz
    12 years ago

Thank you to everybody, I really enjoyed meeting you all. And I will take good care of all the little babies we brought home.
    Silvia and Dan

• fgirl21
    12 years ago

Another successful year. And - even though I was drenched by the time I left - I say it was STILL better than the heat/humidity of prior years!

• scpearson
    12 years ago

Thank you to all, especially Fran, for hosting the swap.
    Great group! Half of my plants have been put in their new home, here in Connecticut. The Foxgloves will make the trip to New Bedford (MA) in my Mom's garden. She is in her late 80s, doesn't garden, but gets so much pleasure sitting out in her garden, which I tend to, planting very easy care perennials. The foxgloves will add some color among the hostas.
    The perennial sunflowers from ishareflowers will have a home at my daughter's, also in Connecticut.
    It was very enjoyable to meet such a personable and generous group. Thank you, all.
    Susan

• PRO
    12 years ago

Thanks Fran, it was great. I even preferred the rain to last year's heat!

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for coming.

It was an experience with the rain, wasn't it?

But, yes it was preferable to me to, over the heat and humidity that we've had last year and some other years as well.

So much for trusting the weather forecasters to be correct when you need them to be.

But, everything turned out well, even with the heavy rain, and we did have the carport to keep going under to get out of it.

It was nice meeting you Suzanne, Silvia and Dan and Susan. I'm sure you will all take good care of those new seedlings and plant divisions.

Susan, I'm glad you where able to get some of the plants in the ground. It rained here until about 3:30 and after that, the bugs where just horrible.
    Those foxgloves should bloom for your mother next year.

I did get the house plants your brought me potted up today.

Oh, Michelle, her husband and daughter did come around 1:30-2pm or so and was just thrilled with all the perennial plants. containers and pots to take home for next years charity plant sale for Children's Hospital.

She said to tell everyone "thank you".

Now if the ground will just dry up a little bit, and the rain stop for a few days, I can get the rest of my own plants, seedlings and those I got from the swap in the ground.

Oh, and the weather really wasn't any better this morning either. It poured her this morning as well.

Such is the life of a gardener, and we can't control the weather.

At least we all know that we can have a successful swap, with lots of fun, good company and good food, even in the rain.

Hope everyone has a wonderful summer, their new plants do well for them and we will plan on another swap here next spring.

Love to hear from everyone as to how the plants do this summer.

Fran