Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mutant foxglove

Posted by noticklish z5/6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 14:04

sorry no pic, but my foxglove this year is doing something strange. The top flowers have fused into one giant campanula looking flower. I have never seen them do that- is it a virus or something caused by the unusually hot weather? Check your foxgloves!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mutant foxglove

noticklish, I remember having that happen a couple of years ago. I thought it was a particular variety. I had started them from seed given to me so I wasn't sure. I have a photo that only shows it beginning to open, but see if yours looks anything like this.....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

I had a veronicastrum that did a weird fused brain-celosia (Celosia cristata) thing one year. I thought maybe something weird had happened to it just as the flower buds were forming.

o

That's exactly what they look like in the photo except mine are fuschia and light pink. The plants are self seeded ones in their 2nd or third growing season. They are growing in a spot where they may have been stepped on in the past.

o

Well, I was given my seed from a trade, so I guess they would be self sown as well. I would be surprised if stepping on them had anything to do with it. Mine weren't stepped on and I still got that effect. Oh well, another mystery. :-)

o

http://perrone.blogs.com/horticultural/flowers/
I found some info here under freaky foxglove on someone's blog.

o

not, well if that isn't the darndest thing! the link was terrific so thanks for that too
mindy

o

I just bought three young foxglove plants for my garden on Long Island. As they have grown, I noticed that one looks normal, with separate stalks and buds forming along the length of them. The other two, however, have all the stalks fused together into one hard band. The flower buds look squashed and strange, am wondering what will happen if/when they bloom!

o

You have Foxglove that is blooming already??

o
Ooops

Just saw that this is an old thread. Please disregard my posts. 8-P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here