Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peoniesaremyfave

2006 Countryman Peony Farm List

peoniesaremyfave
17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

judyefd was kind enough to put up a thread about a wonderful Peony Farm that she visited here in New England and my DH and I went to this past weekend. I was in Heaven, Mrs. Countryman said that she is a week or two behind us (we are in Zone 5b) and her peonies are spectacular. She said that the flowers will probably be in bloom for the next two weekends. The weather was absolutely gorgeous. It has been so long since we have had a nice sunny weekend day I almost forgot what a nice day here in New England was. If you can, take the drive and see Countryman Peony Farm. You definately will not be disappointed. Here is a list of what they have for sale this year. They sell out quickly, so if there is something in this list that you think you would like, my suggestion is to email them to see how you can order it, or better yet, take a drive up to actually see the fields. There are two huge fields, make sure you see them both. We almost left without seeing the front field. We didn't know about it until we asked about a certain peony and was told that it was in the other field by the little house.

Here is the list for this year:

Alexandre Duma

Avalanche

Capital Dome

Cincinnati

Comanche

Command Performance

Coral Charm

Coral Sunset

Do Tell

Duchesse de Nemours

Early Scout

Ellen Cowley

Evening World

Exotic

Fantastic

Felix Crouse

Festiva Maxima

Firelight

Flame

Garden Treasure

Gay Paree

Gold Standard

Heidi

Humei

Illini Warrior

Kansas

Kelway's Glorious

La Pinja

Loa Dexheimer

Mahogany

Mme de Verneville

Mon. Jules Elie

Mother's Choice

Myrle Tischler

Nick Shaylor

Nippon Beauty

Norma Volz

Paula Fay

Paul M. Wild

Pico

Pillow Talk

Pink Hawaiian Coral

Pink Princess

Prairie Charm

Red Charm

Red Glory

Red Signal

Roselette

Sara Bernhardt

Scarlett O'Hara

Showgirl

Splendida (Sold out)

Sunny SIde Up

Sunshine

Swor Dance

Topeka Garnet

Viking Full Moon

Westerner

I absolutely wanted 'Vivid Rose' based on the wonderful things that we said about it by judyefd but I was told that they won't have them for about five years (maybe if enough people ask for them it will be sooner ;) ).

I will post pictures this evening. If you love Peonies you have to see these fields.

Wendi

Comments (12)

• terryboc
    17 years ago

Wendi,
    Where are they located? Do they have a web site?
    Thanks,
    Terry

• peoniesaremyfave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Terry,

I am awful with directions so I copied them from Mapquest, starting in Merrimack ;) and ending at the Countryman Peony Farm. When I first typed in the directions last week, Mapquest kept referring me to Vermont Berry Farm, which was supposedly less than a mile away. When I was there, no one in Northfield had ever heard of the place. It's definately a day trip, a little over two hours, but if you love flowers it is really worth it.

These are from Mapquest.

Merrimack, NH 03054, US
    End:

818 Winch Hill Rd
    Northfield, VT 05663-6141, US

Directions Distance
    Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes Total Est. Distance: 137.26 miles
    1: Start out going WEST on W CHAMBERLAIN RD toward NEWTON ST. 0.1 miles
    2: Turn LEFT onto TURKEY HILL RD. 1.2 miles
    3: Turn LEFT onto AMHERST RD. 0.2 miles
    4: Turn LEFT onto CONTINENTAL BLVD. 5: CONTINENTAL BLVD becomes GREELEY ST. 6: Turn LEFT to take the EVERETT TURNPIKE NORTH ramp toward MANCHESTER / CONCORD. 0.5 miles
    7: Merge onto EVERETT TURNPIKE (Portions toll). 22.1 miles
    8: EVERETT TURNPIKE becomes I-93 N (Portions toll). 2.2 miles
    9: Merge onto I-89 N toward LEBANON / WHITE RIVER JCT VT (Crossing into VERMONT). 104.5 miles
    10: Take the VT-64 W exit- EXIT 5- toward VT-12. 0.1 miles
    11: Turn LEFT onto VT-64 / NORTHFIELD RD. Continue to follow VT-64. 2.9 miles
    12: Turn RIGHT onto VT-12 S. 1.1 miles
    13: Turn LEFT onto VT-12A. 0.9 miles
    14: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto WINCH HL (Portions unpaved). 0.8 miles
    15: End at 818 Winch Hill Rd
    Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 23 minutesTotal Est. Distance: 137.26 miles

Start:

Merrimack, NH 03054, US
    End:

818 Winch Hill Rd

Let everyone on GW know if you go, I still have to post my pictures. I left my photo stick in my camera at work yesterday so when I got home I wasn't happy. I will be posting them tonight, take a look.

Good luck!

Wendi

P.S.

They do not have a website, I wish that they did. They do have a catalog that you can ask for (they will mail you one, it's $2.00. Of course DH left ours on the desk at the office of the Farm or else I would have happily shared mine with you). Their phone number is 802-485-8421, the email address is countrymanpeonyfarm@netscape.com. Terry if you go the Vivid Rose should be in bloom, the buds were fist size. Read my previous thread about the place. Judyefd was the one who posted the information about the place and she let me (well really everyone--I just read about it) the Vivid Rose Peony. It's a stunner. I asked about it and Mrs. Countryman told me that they may be able to get me one in 5 years (yikes!), when I posted that judyefd wrote back that she was told that if 20 people ask for it, they will then propagate it. Have fun!

• judyefd
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing this year's list. Definately a couple missing that were available in years past.

I think I have to make a trip there this weekend!!! Especially since you say they're behind us a bit in bloom time.

I also think I have to officially ask for Judy Ann, so they'll propagate it for a future purchase!!

Here's a little shortcut to get there:
    You'll get off 89N at Exit 5 and turn left onto Rte 64 (down a big hill) to the end (as stated). Instead of turning Right onto Rte 12, go straight across (onto Lovers Lane) to the end of that road, then turn Left onto Rte 12A. Winch Hill Rd will be the next road on your Left. It's a long hill up! (hope the map link works)

Thanks, Wendi, for sharing my enthusiasm for the place!
    Judye

Here is a link that might be useful: map

• peoniesaremyfave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay everyone, I am going to create a new thread right now for some of my pictures.

Judye,

If you ask Mrs. Countryman for a Judy Ann tell her that I would like to be on that list also. If it takes twenty people, then we can be on our way(LOL). I am hoping enough people cry about Vivid Rose still.

Look for the pics everyone!

Wendi

• judyefd
    17 years ago

Will definately put our names on the list for Judy Ann. I'm sure they'll know who Wendi is!!

Thanks!
    Judye

• judyefd
    17 years ago

The list SLIGHTLY changed when I was there over the 4th of July weekend. They eliminated Splendida from the list - as you noted it was sold out, and ADDED these two:

Adolphe Rousseau (dark red, semi double, strong stems)
    Charles Burgess (red and gold Japanese)

• ywilliam
    17 years ago

Guys! The "Vivd Rose" ($22) can be found on the website of www.peonyparadise.com at Adelman Peony Gardens. She sells healthy divisions. Her Bartzella though is $125 which is a little steep for some. There is a "free" catalog she can mail to you if interested. Enjoy!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Hey Wendy- Thanks for the link; just decided I need to replace some peonies that I tried to 'fix' several years back (divide, give more room...you know, make it 'better' for them. You can guess how that turned out).

At any rate, how do they sell their Peonies? Do they dig them while you are there? ARe they already potted up?

I ask because I don't know if I should visit NOW or in the fall...

Help.

• peoniesaremyfave
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Brat!

How is Mr. Peanut doing? Unfortunately his parents met a sad end. I told that DH of mine to please dig them up for me and put them in the cellar.

A couple of weeks ago I went looking for them and I asked where they were and DH brought me out in the yard and pointed to where they were growing. "Did you dig them up like I asked you to?" "Um, I forgot." Yep, not a happy camper about Elephant Ears right now.

Okay onto your little dilema now. Countryman's--boy did I love that place. The person who truly knows about it is judyefd--you would love her, she is really a sweetheart. Ping her if you have any other questions about Countrymans but I will try to help you out as much as I can.

I think the flowers will be in bloom in the next couple of weeks, I think this whole section of the country is a few weeks behind schedule for flowers (I know that my yard is certainly out of sync compared to previous flowering schedules). Here is the hard part. They only sells certain peonies every year and I understand that they are never the same. They have a catalog of what they will be selling for this year (DH called and he was told that we should receive on within the next couple of weeks). Now you can go and actually see what the plant is going to look like when it is blooming (the bad part is that they have hundred of plants and only so many that they sell each year and of course if you are like me you want everything that they are selling and everything that they aren't selling this year. If you see a particular peony that you would like to be put on a list for if they are going to sell it next year they are more that happy to do that. This is the hardest part for me. You don't go home with the plant, they will dig it up in September (the best time to dig up and to tranplant peonies) and you can either go back and pick up what you purchased or you can have what you purchased mailed to you (I love the drive and the area so I of course choose to pick them up). I purchased three last year, Nick Shaylor, Myrtle Tischler and based on what Judye suggested a Vivid Rose.

I will be making the trip again, I don't know when but it is definately worth it.

Are you going to Annie's Plant Swap?

Wendi

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info; not sure if I'm going to the swap or not; I need to email Annie on that- just haven't done it.

Mr. Peanut met his demise over the winter; not sure what happened to him. Just stopped putting out new leaves. We got probably 6 new leaves out of him before he keeled. So the rootball went in the compost pile, and I keep thinking maybe I'll just go buy another one at the grocery store. It's just Taro root, right? I think it's cheaper in the grocery store than in a 'garden' setting. Got any thoughts on that?

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

By the way, did you make it to Reading this weekend? Selection was good, and I came home with a box-full. Then we hit Lake Street G-Center in Salem after that- HUGE place, but rather expensive. They have things that others don't.

Then we hit um...oh...we came home Rte 28 north instead of taking 93 out of Salem, and found this CUTE little garden place in a residential area. Rosey's Roots I think the name of it was. Spent a little time & money there, then finished up the day at Pineywoods in Deerfield by the fairgrounds.

It was a good 'plant' day.

• judyefd
    16 years ago

Visit Countryman's in mid to late June. I've gone several years on 4th of July weekend and been delighted! They have many fields of peonies...hundreds of cultivars, but as Wendi said, they only have about 60 available for sale each year.

It is SO worth the trip!!! Great mountain views and great flowers! A ride around the fields on the golf cart with Chris, when available, is great!

Judye
    (thanks for the kind words, Wendi)