Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant for fall

Posted by zahzeen MA Boston area (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 15:32

I'm interested in some information about planting for the fall. I bought some seeds for Ornamental Kale (Bi-Color, Sunset and Sunrise) and Chrysanthumums. I planted the kale inside about three weeks ago and it was doing fine but them Sunset sort of died off while Sunrise is still going strong. I'm afraid I started them too early since they need colder weather for the best color. I have generic instructions but was looking for other's experience in the New England area. I noticed a thread about fall planting for peas which was very useful. Does anyone have any other specific to NE tips to share regarding vegetables? I do plan on winter sowing for the first time this year but don't miss the window for planting for the fall if I should start now or later (I have already planted the seeds directly outside for pumpkins and gourds). Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant for fall

I was just reading up on this topic tonight as I'm planning to take the leap into vegetable gardening myself. Here's some info I found from one of my favorite books, "The Garden Primer" by Barbara Damrosch.

Broccoli: Fall crops are seeded in July and August.
Cabbage: Sow directly starting in July.
Kale: Matures in about 2 months. So for a fall harvest (and considering this is a cool season crop), I'd wait awhile yet before planting. Maybe July?
Spinach: Start fall sowing in late August.

I hope that helps!

o

You can spring and summer sow those seeds. Check over on the winter sowing forum and ask your questions there.

There will be someone that has used the winter sowing method in the spring and summer to sow those seeds.

Fran

o

I've never tried chrysanthemum seeds, but the local greenhouse had cuttings started when I was there today. They are in tiny cells, but about 3 inches tall.

o

Thank you all for the information. Luckily, it doesn't sound like I missed the timing for planting for the fall. I appreciate the help (I need all I can get!).

o

No problem, zahzeen. This is my 1st year w/ a veggie garden (and I'm starting w/ a fall harvest) so I'm just learning myself as well.

My gardening friends have told me they start their seeds in July and plant out in August. They've also encouraged me to invest in row covers for the cool season stuff (Broccoli, Cabbage, lettuce, brussel sprouts, kale, etc), or at the very least to plant this stuff in the shade of warm weather crops (tomatoes, peppers, etc). Watch the moisture level 'cause its easy for stuff to dry out in the heat of the August sun. So that's what I'm planning.

Fingers crossed for both of us!

o

Ponce418 - thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us both as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here