Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireworks in the garden

Posted by nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 16:01

Several years ago, KT posted a photo of Astilbe and Allium together looking like fireworks. Also in the same thread, Carl commented that later in the season he had a Solidego 'Fireworks' (goldenrod) that came after the Allium heads had shattered.

I am wondering if there are other plants that bring to mind fireworks in your gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireworks thread

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireworks in the garden

I've always thought this grass looks like fireworks. It is a bronzy color and has a great shape to the heads.

Structure of goldenrod really does look like yellow fireworks.

Here's another grass. For firework star-power, I don't think you can beat grasses in late summer, although not as colorful as other perennials.

o

T2D - Those grasses really do look like fireworks.

I think Claire's Itea near the top of the What's Blooming . . . July is definitely in the running.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Blooming in your garden - a photo thread - July 2013

o

About 6 weeks late, but the liatris bloomed in the planter that was overtaken with bee balm. I had planted purple liatris, but was pleasantly surprised when it bloomed white. The white liatris and read monarda look like fireworks to me. What can I add that's blue?
Planter photo IMG_9540_zps9fb17cc5.jpg

o

There are some summer blooming Aliums, though I think they are more pinky purple than blue. I am not sure how late Centurea Montana, blue perennial batchelor's button, blooms, but it has a shape similar to the bee balm.

Maybe someone else can come up with other suggestions.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 9:45

The liatris and monarda look great together, pixie_lou.

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides is a short groundcover that would peek out around the bottom. In my experience, though, it doesn't compete well and gets lost easily in a crowd.

thyme2dig posted a photo of a gentian on the current show us your gardens thread. That would be taller and maybe more robust.

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 9:46

o

Some other blues, though not necessarily fireworks shaped, that are blooming now include great blue lobelia,Lobelia syphilitica (sp?) and several of the blue Agastaches like Blue Fortune. I know from experience that the Lobelia needs prompt deadheading to prevent seeding (I can probably find you a plant or three hiding under shrubs or in the lawn if you are interested) and I have read that the blue Agastaches also may reseed if not deadheaded, though I have no personal experience with them.

There are asters blooming now that aren't true blue, more purple, that might look more explosive.

T2D's blue gentian looks like my G. True Blue, which began blooming more than a month ago and is still going strong.

I really like the Liatris Monarda combo!

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 12:48

Maybe a blue ornamental grass like Festuca glauca (blue fescue) or Helictotrichon sempervirens (blue oat grass)? They would be more fireworks-like.

Claire

o

Pixie Lou. . .

Claire's nailed it: some low "explosions" of blue fescue
would look great in that combo. . .

Now, if we could just train it to grow a little lower,
wouldn't Echinops ritro be perfect. . .what a minute -
how about Eryngium 'Sapphire Blue'?

Carl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here