Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UMass Extension Landscape Message June 15, 2012

Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 16:03

UMass Extension Landscape Message June 15, 2012

"Winter Moth caterpillars have pupated and the feeding damage for this year is over. Massachusetts DCR flew over the state on Monday (6/11/12) to delineate, photograph and map defoliated areas. All affected areas are now in the process of being ground-checked to determine the exact cause of damage and to record levels of defoliation. Winter moth is now in the soil as a pupa and will remain there until late November into December when they'll emerge as adults, mate and lay eggs. Be extremely thoughtful when digging and moving plants from areas of infestation and moving them to new locals, especially those area that does not yet have winter moth populations in order to prevent accidentally introducing this scourge into new areas."

I added the red color for emphasis.

Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UMass Extension Landscape Message June 15, 2012

I wish there was something we could do to the Ground right now. I'd be happy to use something similar to GrubX and spread it on my lawn if I knew it would kill off the pupa. Since my trees are easily 60' tall, there is no way I could spray them without calling a professional tree service.

I know the ground option would not work for all, but in theory it sounds like a perfect solution for individual homeowners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here