Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

My solution to future wind farm view

carol6ma_7ari
12 years ago

About a year and a half ago I posted a query to this forum and/or to the Coastal New England forum, about how to mask the future view of several hundred very tall windmills offshore, in Nantucket Sound. You all came up with good ideas and advice.

So far, no construction yet. But it's gonna happen. Meanwhile, since I wanted a garden for vegetables and for climbing antique roses (on the posts), and didn't want to let the deer and bunnies in, I went ahead with a relatively cheap potager: tall cedar posts, black wire large-opening fencing, and gates made out of cedar lattice held in place by wood cross pieces, no hinges.

The roses are slowly growing, meanwhile the veggies are thriving (until they get shaded and crowded out by the climbing roses), and I realize I should have made the potager much larger.

So next Fall, we'll move 3 posts further out, remove the grass from the new area, and put in more pine bark nugget paths and leave a space big enough for a table & chairs, in the middle.

The larger potager size will be visible from our deck, across the grassy area of our SE ocean view, but won't obscure it. The eye-catching structure will keep us, let us hope, from staring at those wind mills. And when we want to sit lower than the deck, we can enjoy the inner potager view of the veggies & roses, and still the ocean blue will be visible but somewhat softened by the wetlands shrubs and trees from a bit downhill, say, 20 ft. above sea level.

In this way we have somewhat solved our view problem without spending very much money. And since our house is only 30 ft. above sea level (but 800 ft. from the ocean itself, across a large brackish pond), we worry less about its eventual loss to global warming and flooding. It didn't cost much (a former rental cottage) and we've gotten lots of enjoyment out of our weekends here.

I suppose our attitude is King Louis XV, "Apres moi le deluge" but more literally so. We ARE concerned about global warming, and do what we can. But we're not going to leave the sinking ship, sell our cottage, and run inland like rats. (Pardon the mixed metaphors.) At some point if the town ever allows it, a personal residential wind mill next to our house might be an option.

Thanks again to all of you, for your advice.

Carol

Comments (3)