Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Guess where I am?

Richard Dollard
13 years ago

Ok folks, lets see if you are up on your local nurseries in CT. I bet most of you don't know where in CT I am! You can see this place right off the road and I was so surprised as we drove by. Who woulda figured a palm tree grove in CT????? I could almost say I took a quick ride to a nursery in FL sunday to pick out palm trees for the yard. Actually this place will plant tropical trees in your yard and then dig them up when the time is right and store them in their greenhouses over the winter. Go figure. Maybe when my mortgage is paid off! Just don't look at my belly!

Comments (14)

• ontheteam
    13 years ago

No idea but it looks WAAAAYYY cool..

• hunt4carl
    13 years ago

Clearly the southern most part of Connecticut, say Zone 9 ???

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

No guess either, but I love those Seussian ones in the second row of pics 3&4! You'd really have to be a homesick transplant to have your giant palm trees dug up and stored in a greenhouse every winter.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

OMG, Richie! When I saw the title of this thread I almost choked! I had to open it to see if you were in Boston! I was walking to Fenway Park last night and I swear I saw you walking down the street up ahead of me. So when I saw this thread I thought oh my goodness, if he's in Boston I'll faint!

But I guess not, lol...

No guess on the real location though, lol. That building behind you looks awfully corporate...

:)
    Dee

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I believe those palms, Dee, are called windmill palms. I do have a twin walking around somewhere, I have had people come up to me asking if I was at such and such a place at a certain time.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry Deb, I responded to Dee about the variety of the palms and not you. 4am is way too early to be posting online. Carl, It's more towards the middle half of the state. Now I want a queen palm tree in my yard!

• cloud_9
    13 years ago

The middle part of the state is Zone 9? That is one heck of a micro-climate!

(BTW - Carl FTW)

• amysrq
    13 years ago

those blue-green babies are Bismarkias. I grew one from a small seedling while I was living in FL. There was one in the neighbors yard that was 2-3 stories high by the time I moved away. They are totally gorgeous!

I have no idea where you are, btw. :-)

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

I see several types, but no windmills (Trachycarpus) at least not any in the foreground of any photos. I see the queen palms, bismarckias, and robellinis and maybe chamerops? Since you said near the center of the state, and since this "renting" of the palms for summer is a service of this nursery that is probably pretty expensive, I'll guess an upscale area like Avon or Farmington???

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Believe it or not it's in Wolcott right on route 69 just over the Waterbury border. Here is the name of the place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate Grounds

• ego45
    13 years ago

They are not serving just upscale clientele, but rather highest end of upscale... by Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien and Westport standards ^-))

• bebebzzz
    13 years ago

I would have guessed Greenwich or Westport. Who else would have the money to plant such large trees every year, and then dig them up?!

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

That's totally awesome. The nursery is, at least; but the idea that there are people who have these plopped into their gardens in spring and back out in the fall - well, that's just kind of gruesome, in a few different ways.

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

DTD,

Why do you say "gruesome?"
    We do the same thing with annuals that would be perennials in a warmer climate. These folks are just using bigger annuals! Of course they find it more economical to store them in winter rather than buying them new every year, so maybe it's more like what we do when we dig non-hardy bulbs and plants and bring them inside in the winter. Same thing, just that they are doing the privileged version! :-)

Bill