Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blanchette's update

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:57

I went to Blanchette's in Carlisle recently. The plants are 50% off now. There are still many hosta and astilbe (his two largest collections), and many astilbe are in full bloom.
There are also a lot of polygonatums, another favorite of his. I particularly love "Grace Barker" & "Carlisle"
There's a white phlox paniculata "Miss Universe" and nepeta " Johanna Reed" both rated highly by the Chicago Botanic Garden.
I enjoyed a leisurely stroll in the nearly empty nursery. No mob lines like the first day of the sale.
Still worth the drive.
idabean/Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blanchette's update

There's a nice article about their retirement in the "Carlisle Mosquito". Just google that and the current edition will come up.

o

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding the 50% off at Blanchettes. I went today and they had quite a lot left. The owners said they still had around 30,000 pots which included the astilbes, hostas and polygonatums but they had many, many other types of plants, some hard to find. They have a good selection of plants that bloom in July and August and through the fall. Last night I went on their website catalog and picked 27 things I wanted and came home with 21 plants (a couple of substitutions) but no hostas and only 2 astilbes. At their prices now, I found things very hard to pass up. I too will be very sorry to see them retire and unless someone restrains me, I'll probably make at least one more trip to Carlisle!

o

restrain you? HA! What are you doing Tuesday?....

o

So, I did kidnap Marlene aka Zahzeen and got to experience Blanchettes. Still pretty full of plants I had my choice of the ones I was looking for for shade. For me its an hour and a half to get there from home..but I may go back once I get the stuff I purchased planted. Nice people still a lot of plants to choose from I will miss there support of the Children's Hospital sale I run

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here