Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tambourineman

How sturdy does a deer fence have to be?

tambourineman
13 years ago

I am a noobie gardener. I planted some jerusalem articholes at my year round suburban MA home last Fall that are doing well.

I am also planning a garden at my summer place in mid-coast Maine, but need to first do a lot of prep to make a garden area, so I am starting small this year just so I can learn.

I just transplanted some tomatoes plants to 2 ft containers at my summer place. I am only there on weekends.

There are a lot of deer there.

The tubs are in about a 5 or 6 feet square shaped area.

Since it is such a small area for this year, I am thinking of just a 4 foot or so high fence wire mesh fence around them.

How sturdy does it need to be - do they push fences in or out of the way, or do they just jump them? I don't want to electrify it.

I know they can jump 9 foot fences, but would they do that into a very small confined area. Once in, can they jump out from a stand still, or would they just thrash around and ruin everything inside the fence? Will they jump into such a small space? That is, do they see both the near fence and the one just 6 or 7 feet way? Once they are in, with most of the interior taken up by tubs that are 2 feet in diameter, can they jump out without a running start? Do I need to put a wire mesh "roof" over it, and if I did would they realize it or just jump into it and get caught in it and thrash around and destroy everything?

Maybe I could plant some poisoned punji stakes for them to jump onto? (just kidding)

Comments (2)