Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phaewryn

Wood boring pest, need identification help

I have several large shrubs that have a wood boring pest that are killing them. It is effecting a Forsythia, a Lilac, and possibly/probably a Hydrangea. I have photos of the effected branches. I need advice on how to solve the problem, preferably something involving poison, not cutting it down.

Comments (12)

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lilac.

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forsythia

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forsythia

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forsythia

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All of these photos are oriented wrong, sorry, rotate right. (someday I will figure out that phone camera)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

These are all extremely old branches of shrubs that benefit from occasional renewal pruning. They should be removed even if they didn't have pest problems.

Why do you not want to cut out the dead/damaged wood?

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Because it is my only shade, and I will not be able to bear being outside without them. If they have to be cut back, I will move. Seriously, I HATE the sun. Those "trees" are the only thing that makes my yard bearable. I hate living in the city.

I included a photo, if you look closely, you can see my chair, folded up under those lilac branches. It's the only place to sit outside (in the shade, away from the road).

This post was edited by Phaewryn on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 17:49

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cut off the damaged part of the lilac and beat the pests out of the truck. I now need to know WHAT THEY ARE, please, and what I can treat the area with to kill them.

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another photo. These are just two I captured (their heads may be damaged as I had to whack them to get them to hold still to collect). There were at least 8 of them in that one small section of branch.

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are they Forficula auricularia? If so, then they are probably feeding on the actual pests doing that damage, correct? So how do I find out what is actually doing the damage? Do lilac borers also bore into forsythias and hydrangeas? Is there a more likely insect doing the damage? What would they be feeding on? I really need to know what is happening here so I can do something about it! Would spraying everything Pyrethrin be a good first step? I say Pyrethrin because I have cats that go outside and it seems the safest insecticide to use. Suggestions?

• Jules (5a S.E. VT.)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have seen cane borers.

Would earwings eat (or live in the holes left by) cane borers?

Would cane borers be in lilacs, hydrangeas, and forsythias?

I have been doing some googling, and it seems like a bark application of either imidacloprid next spring, or dinotefuran now (or next spring), both mixed with pentra-bark, would kill all the possible problem insects AND be safe for my CATS (both are used in topical flea control for cats, so it seems like it would be relatively safe).

In addition to some heavy pruning back next spring (reluctantly, but I know it's necessary) is this the best option for killing all possible wood borers plus the earwigs hiding in their holes?

AND SAFE FOR MY CATS?

Then what would be the best option for spraying around the foundation of the house to keep the earwigs out of the house that would be safe for the cats once it is dried?

Would it be unsafe to let the cats out if it rains days after the application, would re-wetting cause it to be a problem?

Is there anything for killing borers and earwigs that is recommended higher for use in areas where cat toxicity is a concern?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Personally, I think that your forsythia has critters eating the dead wood rather than the critters causing the dead wood. I think if your shrubs are properly pruned, you won't have an issue and don't need to use pesticides. As one active member often says, do an internet search for "renewal pruning", followed by the name of your shrub. If you prune 1/4 to 1/3 of the oldest wood each year you will still have some shade while your plants rejuvenate. Or you can buy a large sun umbrella or sun sail at the end of season sales for next year. I'd personally be extremely cautious about spreading pesticides with outdoor cats around since they lick to clean themselves, but you can discuss it with your vet.