Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Villa Palona, Middletown, R.I. - Anyone Visited?

arbo_retum
13 years ago

Has anyone been here and if so, could you tell us about it in some detail?

blithewold is sponsoring a garden tour here 7/22.

thanks much,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

http://www.bostongardens.com/bostonevents/bostongardens_event_detail.cfm?id=9722&webid=1&catid=195

Here is a link that might be useful: 7/22 tour of villa palona garden

Comments (3)

• tulipscarolan
    13 years ago

Hi....Sorry, I'm not familiar with that particular garden. However, I did attend one of Blithewold's other "Intimate Garden Tours" a few weeks ago, and it was really fabulous. That particular garden was amazing, but the format was also really special--a smallish group, with the chance to walk around with the owners/gardeners. I've decided to attend as many of these tours as possible!

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tulip,
    that's v helpful; thank you! would you tell us all a little about the garden, and its name, so we can look for it in the future?!
    best,
    mindy

p.s. i know that's not your name, but ,strangely enough,last night i rewatched Pulp Fiction, where it is used in my fav segment!

• tulipscarolan
    13 years ago

Hi Mindy,

Okay, you've outed me....I wasn't lucky enough to be born with the name Tulip. Although I like it! I'm actually Carolan :-)

The tour I went on was in Barrington. It was at the Maddock's house, on Governor Bradford Road. I've actually been on 2 previous tours at their home, probably 3 and 7 years ago. They often participate in the every-few-years tour called Barrington in Bloom. That is a wonderful event, but very different. There, you tour up to 10 gardens, and there are hundreds, if not 1000+ people who attend. It is lovely, but I really enjoyed this more quiet evening.

This time, we entered through the home. There was wine and some great appetizers, but I didn't have any because I was rushing out to the gardens. The Maddocks are both originally from Ireland, and the nicest couple. Probably retired? They do pretty much all the gardening themselves, and it is impeccable. Brilliant in design, plus in great condition....I always come home and realize how weedy it is here!

Lots of variety....a huge shade garden, interesting garden structures and ornaments, special trees, a truly amazing perennial border, etc. But part of the great thing is that it probably isn't much more than 1/2 an acre, and they have squeezed so much in, and it is something that (with a tremendous amount of labor of love) is manageable without using a big gardening staff! I find it to be incredibly special, so I recommend seeing it if it is on tour. However, it is not a big public garden--it is a private home that only opens for these types of charity tours.

So I loved that we moved together as a smallish group, and got to know the owners/gardeners, and were invited into their lovely historic home, etc. I think this set-up by Blithewold, of "intimate tours", is really special. Enjoy!