Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden bench

Posted by salbwil Ma. (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 17:34

Hello,
This subject comes up often , but not lately. I need a garden/porch bench and am asking for recommendations on where to buy one. I'd like teak, but understand price would be an issue as teak isn't cheap. I live north of Boston, so could pick up within driving distance.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
salbwil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden bench

I got mine at the Mill Store several years ago. It has now weathered to a nice gray and was a bargain as far as price. There are several Mill Stores in our area, just google for their web site.

o

• Posted by jant z6MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 12:08

Mill's Unfinished Furniture is like a candy store! Love that store. We bought 4 Adirondack chairs there 4 yrs ago that are sooo comfy. They weren't teak but a similar wood that you oil. I didn't bother...I figured I'd paint mine eventually when they were starting to wear. Prices are incredible!

We live near Newburyport and go to the one in Stratham NH which is only about 25 mins.

Oh, they are online if you want to check out their products...but each store is probably a bit diff.

o

If there's no rush on it, you can frequently check Craig's list. I've seen several pieces of teak furniture there this season, including at least two benches, and although some have been expensive, others have been surprisingly cheap.

o

we have had good luck at the flagship Mahoney's in winchester and Homegoods(woburn,reading,bedford best hg stores for garden stuff)

stonegate in lincoln has the coolest thing; i wish we had a spot for it, a LARGE handsome enamel coated metal alcove w/fabric roof and trellis sides and back,and cushioned bench.It would look so great w/ a hedge behind it; almost like a half-gazebo.
best,mindy

o

I agree with Mindy, check Homegoods, plus the other TJX stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I've seen lovely teak things for reasonable prices, and this is the time of year when they're starting to get marked down. I was tempted by a set of four tub-shaped teak dining chairs at the Bedford Homegoods a week or so ago, marked down to a good price, but they weren't as comfortable as they looked. But I've also seen some terrific benches.

For something a little different, Lowe's has an aluminum bench with a branch pattern; if I had a place to put it I'd buy it, I think it's gorgeous. See http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=35492-58061-WDC-9009&lpage=none

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here