Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crnaskater

planning for Fall

crnaskater
13 years ago

I have a 20 ft across circle in the 'middle room' of my landscape that I planted wooly thyme (2 varieties) 4-5 years ago. There are two internal rings of large flat stones and a very large boulder in the center. There is a slight slope downward from the boulder to the outer ring of stone. My problem has been grass and other weeds/clover that keep popping up throughout the area and require hand weeding. This is the 3rd year I have had to dig a 5 inch wedge around the circle to then mulch to help limit the grass spread. This area gets mostly late morning to 3 pm high heat/sunlight. Soil, in spite of ammendments is still slightly shale (part of long time ago river bed.)

So I have decided to give up on the thyme and plant low growing flowering shrubs around the circle between the two stone circles that hopefully with shade the adjoining areas to help cut down on grass/weed invasion.

Since Fall is a good time to get shrubs into ground, I'd like some ideas now to firm up a plan. With woods on either side of landscape, I am subject to the usual animals; deer, chipmonks, occ. skunk, voles/moles, fox, rabbits, coyote, etc. I can't fence as next 'room' is Wetlands with a stream at the end.

Sometimes you got to give up on the ideal and be more realistic as age and joints rebel......so I welcome all suggestions. I depend on rain for watering, but am willing to hose to that area the first season...

Comments (3)