Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redhighlander_gw

Common orange daylilies

redhighlander
10 years ago

Hello,
We recently moved to Scituate MA and are adding some favorite plants to our large yard. I love daylilies up against a stone wall or fence, and especially next to blue hydrangeas. I have plenty of hydrangeas, stone walls and fences, but no daylilies. Since they look so great in large groups, what is the most economical way to add them to my yard? My old house had hundreds of them, and I miss them so much! Thank you!

Comments (9)

• wispfox
    10 years ago

If you are willing to come to my house in Waltham and help dig, I have many which need a new home. Waaaay too many of them, even after a significant thinning last year. :)

Email me, if you are willing to come to Waltham, ma.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

First of all, DON'T BUY THEM! lol! I don't mean you shouldn't have them, I mean you shouldn't PAY for them.

I'm sure there are plant swaps you can find where you can get them, or if you just can't wait till fall (when the next swaps probably are) go on freecycle or craigslist and ask for some free ones. I'm sure someone somewhere is getting rid of some. My friend used to just put her extras on the curb in a pot with a big "free" sign on them.

If you must buy them, I would at least get them from a garden club plant sale or some kind of fundraiser-type sale. There are just certain things a gardener should never pay for, IMO, lol - pachysandra, orange daylilies, vinca, etc.

I'm glad to see this post. My daughter and I were just commenting on how my patch of plain old orange daylilies looks so lovely this year, and also commenting on how so many people seem to dislike them because they are "common". To me, few things are quite as beautiful as a long stretch of daylilies against a nice stone wall. (Too bad I don't have the stone wall, lol, only the daylilies, but they do surround an old oak tree, which I guess is second best!). I'm glad to see that others appreciate their beauty as well.

:)
    Dee

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I'm a lover of old fashioned orange daylilies too! I have bought some (along with fancier, newer varieties), been given some, and "adopted" ferals abandoned along the roadside. Wherever you find them, daylilies do spread. Good luck in your search.

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Well if you'd rather drive to Seekonk than to Waltham, I too can literally give you a yard full of daylilies and still have too many for myself.

Please come take them from my yard. ;)

• ontheteam
    10 years ago

same offer here in Dighton for all the daylillies you want

• greendale
    10 years ago

Sorry to hijack your post here, wispfox, persimmons and ontheteam, do you still have more day lilies to give? We just bought a house and there is no landscaping at all. I am in RI and I am willing to drive up and help you dig some. Let me know please, thanks a lot.
    Greendale

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

Send me a message if you'd be interested. Ours have just began blooming so I'd say there's a good 2.5 weeks before they're ready to pot up and move.

I'm not sure about the amount of soil that I can provide for the plants (they're all overcrowded around an elm tree) so perhaps bring a few buckets of soil just incase?

• greendale
    10 years ago

Hi, persimmons:

Thanks for the offer. I have sent you an email.

Greendale

• redhighlander
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm the original poster. I think I will be able to go to Waltham to see wispfox. She has kindly offered a bunch, but If I don't get enough there, I'll contact ontheteam and persimmons and see if you have any left. Thank you so much!