Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

UMass Extension Landscape Message June 1, 2012

UMass Extension Landscape Message June 1, 2012

"Winter Moth began pupation in the soil starting last week in the warmer regions of the state. In the cooler (more coastal) regions feeding continues but will cease very soon. Defoliation was spotty in the greater Boston area with the heaviest defoliation occurring between Providence, RI and Southeastern MA and out onto Cape Cod. "

and before you let down your guard:

"Japanese beetle adults may emerge early this year: I have had reports from colleagues in the Midwest that Japanese beetles have been emerging two to four weeks earlier than normal in their locations. Since the Northeast has also experienced a warm spring, we can expect beetles to emerge early here as well. Normally I begin to be aware of Japanese beetle adults swarming in early July (often right around July 4th), although the earliest ones start flying in late June. This year I would not be surprised if people start finding Japanese beetles in monitoring traps as early as late next week. Certainly I suspect we will be seeing them by the middle of the month.

Reported by Dr. Pat Vittum, Professor and Extension Entomologist, UMass Department of Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences, Amherst."

Claire

Comments (3)