MY GARDEN

Photobucket

MY STRAWBERRIES

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable Garden pictures 6-11-10 Massachusetts

Looks like everything is growing well!

For tomatoes, we've done several things. My DH used to keep them trimmed to one stem which he would tie with soft fabric (old nylons are great) to 6-7 ft posts (just saplings, trimmed back to the trunk) that he had pounded a foot or so into the ground. Regular tomato cages only work for short determinate tomatoes, like Romas & yours look too big already for them. I've tried those spiral stakes, but they aren't big enough and the plants need trimming to one stem. I don't like handling tomato plants since they make me itch, so since DH stopped doing much garden work anything that requires tying up or trimming doesn't really work for me. I've been using really tall ones made of large wire mesh that the tomatoes can grow up within, but my hands can fit between the mesh for harvesting or removal of the occasional tomato hornworm. Something like the steel mesh that they use in concrete would make really stout ones, but might need to be held upright by stakes of some kind sunk into the ground.

o

Nice looking garden. I would tend to agree that the tomato cages you have now are too small. Babs has a good idea for a cage. I haven't even staked mine yet, so I have to get busy. I usually stake mine and if I can, I cage it to, so I don't have to prune them. My vegetable garden is prominent in the garden, so I am going to try making cages from bamboo this year. Nothing elaborate, just 8ft tall poles tied together with short cross pieces and string. I haven't tried it yet, so I'll have to get back to you, next year. [g]

o

Your strawberry area makes me jealous! I blog my pictures - I haven't updated in about a month...I have to do some weeding and a little seeding tomorrow and I'll probably have an update then:

http://morning-glorious.blogspot.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here