Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruiting KIWI- anyone grow in z.5?

Posted by arbo_retum z5 ,WinchstrMA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 8, 10 at 19:17

i don't know if we have a long enough growing season for these. Any experience w/ them? I grow the ornamental one only.
thanks much,
mindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruiting KIWI- anyone grow in z.5?

No, I haven't tried it, but didn't the Victory Garden at the old Lexington Gardens try that on their arbor? It grew really fast and thick but I never saw any fruit on it.

o

I have a friend whose SIL grows it. We are just north of Concord, NH. Jill sometimes brings the fruit to share, so I know that it has fruited at least twice. I'm not sure what variety it is (or even if there are many varieties.) I think that it might be one of those plants that needs a male and female to fruit.

o

pm, you are a HOT TICKET for having a memory like that!
th you
mindy

o

babs, is this the one?

Here is a link that might be useful: arguta kiwi

o

Actinidia kolomikta indeed, would need a male and female plants to have fruits. It's fruiting in Russian z4, so I wouldn't be worry about its hardiness in MA :-))

o

Mindy - The ones Jill's SIL has look like Thompson green grapes, long & narrow in shape and light green in color. Totally not fuzzy. Delicious!

o

cultivars: Arctic Beauty (young leaves - purple; mature leaves - zoned pink, white, green); Krupnoplodnaya (red leaves in summer); Arnold Arboretum (small fruit)

george, do kolomikta and Krupnoplodnaya mean something in russian? or name of someone? did you grow up eating them in russia? so if i can find a female specimen of my regular old one(just called 'actinidia'on the tag many yrs ago)then my male will enable her to fruit?
thnks for the help everyone; keep it flowing!
best,
mindy

o

Krupnoplodnaya (transliteration from Russian)= Krupno(Large)+ Plod[naya](Fruit[ing]).
If you already have male plant and looking for a mate, then you might be better looking for A.polygama ('Silver vine') female plant cause fruits on it is larger and tastier than those of A. kolomikta.
BTW, A.kolomikta and A.arguta are substantialy different plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here