Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runktrun

I'm Just Wild About...

runktrun
11 years ago

Filipendula

I am wild about Fillipendula these days so I thought I would share with you the few different varities I am growing these days. I would love to know if you are growing a fun new Fillipendula variety I may not know about.

Filipendula Rosem

Filipendula Aurea

Filipendula ??? Giant 4+ feet tall and wide. Leaves 12+ inches wide

Filipendula �Red Umbrellas�

Filipendula Varigata

Comments (5)

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting this, runktrun. I was unfamiliar with this plant, even under its common name of Meadowsweet, so I did some quick research. I really like the looks of the red umbrella variety, and have several spots where this might fit in on my property.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I love it when someone does this type of compilation/comparison of many varieties of one kind of plant.

KT (or anyone else growing these) - Do you find that the foliage stays nice looking all season? Do you find they spread through runners or seed?

(and also KT, what is the deep red leafed plant at the right of the last photo you posted? Lovely!)

• runktrun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The foliage stays bug and disease free. The plants will grow nicely in shade with fewer flowers the deeper the shade. I have been growing the large leave Filipendula for seven or eight years and stayed in bounds with zero reseeding. I divided one plant into four for the first time this year. I am a
    litte concerned about F aurea not the leaf spotting on some foliage, it reminds me of Hydrangea Little Honey
    I didn't think much of F Red Umbrella at the nursery but when I brought it home I was pleasantly surprised to see that it screamed texture in my landscape. So of course I went back and bought more.

• diggingthedirt
    11 years ago

I have only the plain roseum - 'queen of the prairie' is the common name I've heard. Mine's in full sun, and the plants lose their lower leaves right about now, every year. This makes them look pretty ratty just when they're blooming, but it's also quickly dealt with with just some garden shears.

Mine has spread quite a bit over the dozen years I've had it, and of course it has worked its way to the front of the bed - if it's spreading by seed, it is at least staying in the one corner where it was planted - no volunteers in other areas at all. Maybe I'll try digging up some of it and moving it to a shady spot.

I love that giant white one - talk about texture. I'll have to see if I can track some of that down.

• runktrun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Babs,
    I forgot to mention the deep red leafed plant is Physocarpus lLittle Devil that I am kicking myself for having only bought one rather than a few to repeat throughout the front of a shrub border. I really like the smaller leaf and deeper color almost as much as I am wild aboud the plants over all smaller size. (3-4) feet.
    Nan,
    I bought this from Dave at Heather gardens years ago. They no longer sell it and I didn't see it in his garden (I think) but the next time I see him I will ask the name. If you are interested I would be happy to drop off a pot in the fall. The larger leaf on a non tropical plant that will grow in the shade is a real plus.