Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm Just Wild About...

Posted by runktrun z7a MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 20:13

Filipendula

I am wild about Fillipendula these days so I thought I would share with you the few different varities I am growing these days. I would love to know if you are growing a fun new Fillipendula variety I may not know about.

Photobucket

Filipendula Rosem
Photobucket

Filipendula Aurea
Photobucket

Photobucket

Filipendula ??? Giant 4+ feet tall and wide. Leaves 12+ inches wide

Photobucket

Photobucket

Filipendula �Red Umbrellas�
Photobucket

Photobucket

Filipendula Varigata
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm Just Wild About...

Thanks for posting this, runktrun. I was unfamiliar with this plant, even under its common name of Meadowsweet, so I did some quick research. I really like the looks of the red umbrella variety, and have several spots where this might fit in on my property.

o

I love it when someone does this type of compilation/comparison of many varieties of one kind of plant.

KT (or anyone else growing these) - Do you find that the foliage stays nice looking all season? Do you find they spread through runners or seed?

(and also KT, what is the deep red leafed plant at the right of the last photo you posted? Lovely!)

o

The foliage stays bug and disease free. The plants will grow nicely in shade with fewer flowers the deeper the shade. I have been growing the large leave Filipendula for seven or eight years and stayed in bounds with zero reseeding. I divided one plant into four for the first time this year. I am a
litte concerned about F aurea not the leaf spotting on some foliage, it reminds me of Hydrangea Little Honey
I didn't think much of F Red Umbrella at the nursery but when I brought it home I was pleasantly surprised to see that it screamed texture in my landscape. So of course I went back and bought more.

o

I have only the plain roseum - 'queen of the prairie' is the common name I've heard. Mine's in full sun, and the plants lose their lower leaves right about now, every year. This makes them look pretty ratty just when they're blooming, but it's also quickly dealt with with just some garden shears.

Mine has spread quite a bit over the dozen years I've had it, and of course it has worked its way to the front of the bed - if it's spreading by seed, it is at least staying in the one corner where it was planted - no volunteers in other areas at all. Maybe I'll try digging up some of it and moving it to a shady spot.

I love that giant white one - talk about texture. I'll have to see if I can track some of that down.

o

Babs,
I forgot to mention the deep red leafed plant is Physocarpus lLittle Devil that I am kicking myself for having only bought one rather than a few to repeat throughout the front of a shrub border. I really like the smaller leaf and deeper color almost as much as I am wild aboud the plants over all smaller size. (3-4) feet.
Nan,
I bought this from Dave at Heather gardens years ago. They no longer sell it and I didn't see it in his garden (I think) but the next time I see him I will ask the name. If you are interested I would be happy to drop off a pot in the fall. The larger leaf on a non tropical plant that will grow in the shade is a real plus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here