Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

exploding, running weed- help identify

Marie Tulin
9 years ago

Turning to the tried and true local experts. No answers on the weed forum and google images brought up nothing. Meanwhile this evil thing is popping up waving little red flags at me.

1. Home: partial shade, disturbed woodland
2. The leaves are opposite. Each "branch" that grows from the ground has opposite leaves, mid green.
3. I have observed no flowers
4. The roots are extensive, traveling yards and yards. The thickest I've found are over an inch wide, woody, very fibrous and nearly impossible to sever with a shovel
5. The newest roots are also fibrous.

I think these running roots are hydrophyllic. (sp?) I notice that the young green branches pop up in the vicinity of relatively new plants in areas that were not getting irrigated before but now are.

I tried digging up the roots today. From the leaved stalks, the roots quickly go 2-3 inches underground, makiing it nearly impossible to up root the plant. It is really, really hard work. I don't mind using round-up but have no idea how to use it effectively or without risk to my trees and shrubs where the roots are mingling.

Many thanks for help forthcoming.
marie/idabean

Comments (23)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Any photos?

• diggingthedirt
    9 years ago

Yes a photo, please! Or at least describe the above-ground parts of the plants a little more - is it a vine? Are the leaves themselves red?

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The underground part is better described as underground stems
    Gazing at more photos, a honeysuckle is closest I can come, but the descriptions don't mention the distinctive underground stems
    Sorry, I'm being obsessive very late of an evening.
    mt

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Another photo request and some sympathy. Roundup can always be applied with a disposable paintbrush.

• Persimmons
    9 years ago

Knotweed?

Nutsedge?

I have these two in my yard (as well as violets and clover) and I hate them :L

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

definitely not those two.
    I got pictures and will try to post wed or thurs.
    Its getting worse. tendrils springing up everywhere.
    marie

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Ailanthus altissima?

With that kind of underground rhizome it's got to be fairly common.

Steve

• moliep
    9 years ago

Looking forward to the photos

• mayalena
    9 years ago

The roots sound like oriental bittersweet to me... I am sure you would recognize the top growth, tho.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

First time that you've mentioned tendrils. We really need a photograph.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi,
    It took me so long to figure out photobucket after a year's hiatus. My descriptions seem hyperbolic compared to this rinky-dink photo. However, that timid looking shoot with compound leaves are popping up by the dozen all over the garden. It is difficult to tell, but that shoot is coming from a root nearly 2 inches thick.
    Alianthus, if I remember, has pointed leaves. And one of the "genders" smells terrible. I don't think its that.
    If it is bittersweet, I have no vines visible anywhere in trees in my large garden. I wonder if disturbing the soil by planting, then watering has stimulated plant growth.
    Finally, how can I get rid of it. I siimply cannot dig it up completely. I'm fine using roundup, but I don't want it to transmigrate (if that's a word) to roots of valuable plants.
    Thanks everyone!
    Marie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Marie, I know it isn't bittersweet, I have that one. Just a guess, but could it be Wisteria? I don't have that plant, but going by photos and what I've heard about the plant, that came to mind.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

What you have are not opposite leaves but compound leaves.

I don't know wisteria.

Your description reminds me of our black locusts -- particularly the rapid growth and the thick roots with suckers coming up everywhere (as happens when a nearby tree has been cut down: the root system has a tremendous will to keep on living!). But without thorns it's unlikely to be black locust.

Cut whatever you can cut, and immediately paint the fresh wound with Roundup concentrate. That should do for it! [Roundup doesn't migrate along the roots to unrelated plants.]

• corunum z6 CT
    9 years ago

You could send your photo via email to UMASS Amherst and ask them. There is an email address in the middle of the page for home garden/landscape questions: greeninfo@umext.umass.edu

University Agricultural Extension offices are very helpful.

Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: UMASS Amherst

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I agree that it looks like black locust, based on the compound leaves, the leaflet shape, and the root suckering. I would guess that perhaps one of your neighbors has black locusts and the roots have moved into your garden. I am really sorry! It sounds like it will be something of an ongoing battle. I think maybe your "disturbing the soil by planting, then watering has stimulated plant growth" or even that the neighbor's trees have just gotten large enough for interference in your garden.

I did a search for black locust control. There are a lot of really nasty chemical controls, but happily it sounds like glysophate (generic roundup) will keep the ones in your garden under control if you keep after it. As Missingtheobvious said, "Cut whatever you can cut, and immediately paint the fresh wound with Roundup concentrate. That should do for it! [Roundup doesn't migrate along the roots to unrelated plants.]"

http://wric.ucdavis.edu/information/natural%20areas/wr_R/Robinia.pdf

http://mdc.mo.gov/your-property/problem-plants-and-animals/nuisance-native-plants/black-locust-control

Maybe in the long term you can join with the neighbor with the tree(s) to get them taken down and paint every sprout with Glysophate. It sounds like otherwise you will have an ongoing battle. Maybe your treating the roots in your garden will eventually do in the trees.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

corunum, thank you. I will do that.
    Everyone: I think I have been "missing the obvious" as well.
    If those sprigs are indeed little trees, then I have at least 1 that's taller than house in the immediate area, and several more scattered on the old pasture-succession forest-newer woodland garden area. Several can go, but the one closest to house provides a lot of needed shade.
    We have lived here for over 20 years and I'm amazed at how incurious I've been. As long as there wasn't a reason to worry, I just looked up at the tree, saw it wasn't a norway maple and that was that. I don't remember noticing flowers or thorns, though the canopy is so high I wouldn't have seen them. But I haven't been looking for thorns on the sprouts either
    I did some quick reading, and what I'm observing --without a definitive identification--is what makes black locust a very sustainable if not first class tree for the forest industry. One can be chopped down and the root system will send up many a replacement.
    Too bad I don't want a woodland of black locust.
    I'll take more photos of the big guys later and of course get back to you as soon as I hear from the extension service.

Unfortunately, I got laid off yesterday so I have a lot of time to work on this. I am not ready to retire!!
    Marie

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

That is Ailanthus altisima or Tree of Heaven. That's exactly what the young plants look like and yes the rhizomes stink. It's taken me 6 years to get rid of mine.

When you cut the rhizome or the stem/trunk of the tree, it sends chemical signals through the rhizome to each of the nodes. Those nodes send up new growth. That's what you are seeing in that picture.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 13:48

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

Leaves are consistent with black locust and definitely not with ailanthus. I lived in western MA for a decade and my boss there fought a running battle with black locust remnants in her yard during the entire time I was there. The roots even travelled under her concrete driveway to pop up on the other side.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree,Catspa. When I was a child in Baltimore, I used to explore a property that was filled with alianthus. It stank. This isn't it. These suckers (literally and colloquilly) do not stink.
    Sent an image to UMass Ext. and when id is confirmed will develop a battle plan. Undoubtably gysophosphate in in their future. Rather, my future. Weed control instead of garden re-design.

• bebebzzz
    9 years ago

I don't think it's Ailanthus; I am currently in battle with that one, and your pics don't look like the new growth that I get. Black locust is my vote.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but is it at all possible to just live with it? Black Locust is a TREMENDOUS nectar source for bees...

• ontheteam
    9 years ago

I have no idea what your new nemesis is But I am very sorry you got laid off. I hope a new adventure comes along for you very soon!

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the plants are sprouts or suckers from the several black locust trees on the property.I have been planting shrubs, trees and groundcovers in the area, and my watering stimulated sucker growth.
    Cutting down locusts just stimulates untold millions of suckers.
    Besides, as was pointed out, their flowers are very attractive to bees.
    Spraying them will take longer than just pulling them. I'm going to try that and see what happens.
    My concern is the root competition with my ornamentals. I'm just going to wait and see.

Thanks,ontheteam. Fortunately my colleague and I did not suffer a degrading experience. Still they get you out of the office so fast you don't have a chance to say goodbye to people you've worked with for years.

I've been gardening like mad, but I am getting bored.
    idabean/marie

• mayalena
    9 years ago

Marie -- So sorry to hear about the lay-off. Keep us posted on how the job hunt goes! Gardening is divine, but it isn't enough to sustain us....