Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thyme2dig2

Idabean's Plant Swap....Pictures!!

Marie, thank you for a wonderful day of swapping, eating and especially touring your beautiful garden. Your garden is chock full of such interesting perennials, shrubs and trees. It was a real treat to take a tour with you.

It was so nice to meet everyone and a good day was had by all. I've attached a link with the photos I took today of the garden and the swappers. I hope everyone enjoys it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Idabean's Swap

Comments (24)

• diggingthedirt
    12 years ago

Aw, thanks for posting those! Marie, you really HAVE done an amazing redesign of your garden - wow.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Hi Nan,
    Missed you today. You'd be thrilled at how large and healthy
    the trees and shrubs you gave me have become.

We'll have to figure out a make-up event.
    mt

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful, Marie! Your yard is really lovely. I love your raised beds - they look so much more elegant than my cinder block ones!

Looks like you guys had a great day for a swap and had lots of fun - love the shot of the car loaded to the gills!

:)
    Dee

• terrene
    12 years ago

Great pictures, Thyme. I didn't even notice you taking any of them! Love the closeups on Poppy, pots, etc. Nice variety for Idabean.

• blaketaylore
    12 years ago

Great Pictures, Susan!

Again, I just want to say what a great time Michael and I had, and thank Marie for hosting it. All the garedeners that came were so upbeat and fun, a great group of people. It was my first time there, but Marie and all the other gardeners made me feel very welcomed and comfortable. It was a lovely time.

Blake

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

It looks like you guys had a great time. I will definitely try to make the next one if there is one. What great pictures too. Marie, your place looks delightful. Yes, the last pic was the coolest!!!

• PRO
    Nancy Vargas Registered Architect
    12 years ago

Marie, I will drop off a CD of the photos I took when I come by to pick up my cooler (Still can't believe I left it!!!)

Also, you had a metal heron ornament I greatly admire. Where did you get it?

WG

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

Nice garden and I'm sorry to have missed meeting you all. Hopefully I will be around for the next one.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Love reading your comments and putting names to faces. The heron was from a store which has since closed. It has a mate somewhere.They had the cutest, inexpensive asian decorations. But that's the kind of do-dad you might find at Pier One on a lucky day.

I really just keep my eyes open and venture into odd stores. There was a huge pottery fountain I loved at an out of the way nursery. The owner told me she found it at Home Depot! Go figure.

Can[t Hesitate or its gone. I figure I can always pass it on or put in rotation.

OTT, I love swapping the annuals for perennials. I've got plenty to share and I sort of resent buying a lot of annuals because they are ....temporary...

I'd like to suggest you come as soon as you can or wait until fall. It is so hard on the plants to dig them up in the heat, with the stress of transporting and then keeping up with the watering. I assume you have a place that's shady or has shade cloth? If not, I def. think you should wait until fall because even the sun lovers need some shade to recover from transplanting.

Write me a separate email and we can set up something.
    Marie

• ontheteam
    12 years ago

It was a wonderful time! Thank you so very very much for hosting! You did a great job and I am Still raving to DH about your garden! It is tour worthy.
    It was so awesome to put names to faces .( i must admit I had pictured Tereene much differently LOL .

I love gardeners.. we are so different in many ways but can all be friends beacuse we share this passion.

I am so glad the swapping for Annuals was Ok with you l I was a lil worried it was not "even".

I will email you about getting your generous donation to the plant sale.

• marquest
    12 years ago

I love your garden ornaments and your gardens look awesome. I wish I lived near you so I could come to your plant swap. I would like to have come just for the joy of seeing your gardens in person.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

marquest
    If you come to the Boston area, please be in touch. I love visiting and being visited by other gardeners. I don't have enough of them in my life, and welcome all the flower-talk I can get.
    Marie

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Look up green leaved cimigifuga. I'm sure that's it. "Silvery green leaves" flowers like white wands.....doesn't that fit the mystery plant?

My original guess and I stand by it!
    mt

• marquest
    12 years ago

marie, if I am ever in your area I will be there. You have a standing invitation to my house also. if you are ever in Pa come and visit and give me some ideas. I purchased an old Tudor on 4 acres three years ago and I want my gardens to look like yours one day.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

Give them 20 years. Or, if you are more decisive and confident than I am, it could happen much, much sooner.
    mt

• terrene
    12 years ago

Question for Thyme - what kind of Rose of Sharon did you say your seedling was?

I have planted almost all the swap plants - except the Rose of Sharon, the iris, and the Jet Bead. There is a theme developing in the little foundation bed where I planted the Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' - there is also Hosta 'Gold Standard', Goldflame Spiraea japonica, and the 'Jester Gold' Gladiolus planted there too! This was not really planned. :)

PS to OTT - just curious how you pictured me??

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Terrene,
    I've never seen this one before and I have no idea of the name. I love it though. It blooms profusely. The shrubs I've had in for about 8 years are quite large now.
    The flower is a smaller double-type.

This one is actually planted down one level from the backyard on a terrace so you're seeing the top of it. It's probably about 8' tall. There's one further back behind it so it's a little deceiving at the top.

• jillyluis
    12 years ago

I wanted to say a belated thank you to everyone!!! i had such a wonderful time meeting everyone, touring the garden and I love the plants I got! My dear sweet husband planted them all for me. They are all doing wonderfully....except our resident very cute bunny rabbit made short work of the iris. S/he left the green part, so I have hope for it next year. It was quite funny though, the iris was in the ground for a couple days at most before the flower disappeared.
    What a wonderful time!
    jilly

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    12 years ago

Looks like you all had a great day for the swap. Marie, you've done a lot of work in your garden and it's looking great! I love your new vegetable beds too.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Pretty Thyme2dig! Thanks for posting the pictures. I wonder if the double flowers would come true in a seedling?

Hey Jilly, are you sure you mean Iris flowers? Did you mean Lilies?

• terrene
    12 years ago

Idabean, here are a few more pictures from the swap that I finally got uploaded to Flicker. They can't compare to Thyme's though!

Here is a link that might be useful: Idabean's swap

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Terrene, I have had one seedling drop itself and it does flower true from seed. I started your seedling this winter. I had never started them from seed before but when I saw it does seed true I thought I should try. I think it's such a unique flower for a rose of sharon.

• Marie Tulin
    12 years ago

S/Terrene,
    I think the photos are excellent. I mean it. They are completely different than t2d's. You got the really long shots and give a picture of the whole property.

Oh, how I wish my mom could see it. I learned to love a garden through her. She never made me do a lick of work except go out at night and turn off the hose. She'd leave it running at a trickle on her rose bushes for hours and hours.

Bear with me....nostalgia....I remember wrinkling up my nose at the smell of the dehydrated cow manure becoming hydrated. "My" rose was Queen Elizabeth (my middle name) and how everything got black spot in Baltimore summers. A dogwood tree...and I'd go pick Fairy roses for tiny little bouquets.

We really learn to love through our senses, don't we. Cow poop is my madeleines.

Best,
    mt/idabean

• terrene
    12 years ago

I hope you enjoy the pictures, MT. My favaorite is the one with your long gravel path. I also really like the photo that Thyme took from up near the top of your hill, looking down on the property, with the yellow flowers in the foreground. Lovely long shot!

Hopefully you can get some more photos of your garden when other things are blooming. I bet it changes throughout the season with waves of blooms and color but always gorgeous!