Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbabs

Garden visits, York County, Maine (photo heavy)

NHBabs z4b-5a NH
9 years ago

I visited the four gardens in York County, Maine, yesterday that were listed as Open Gardens by the Garden Conservancy. All had lovely stone work and while each had its own character, they all had a striking combinations of woodies and perennials.

Three of the four had pools, with two of them nicely integrated into the garden.

From June 22, 2014

From June 22, 2014

Three of the four were right on the coast. The one I didn't take photos of had in different areas either large hickories and cedars giving shelter from salt winds or meadows between the house and the coast, and its gardens looked tucked into the scenery and to scale with the long views. The other two coastal gardens had lovely gardens, but when one looked at them with the ocean in view, the gardens seemed to me to be totally overwhelmed by the shear immensity of the ocean view, so I ended up taking most of my photos with my back to the ocean.

From June 22, 2014

From June 22, 2014

From June 22, 2014

The garden not on the coast was set into a large cleared area in thick woods. There was shade from the house and from a vine-covered pergola, tidy beds for ornamentals and veggies edged in granite with gravel paths, and some lovely paving and ornaments.

From June 22, 2014

Succulents on the pool deck
From June 22, 2014

Ornamental beds between the house and the pergola
From June 22, 2014

Under the pergola
From June 22, 2014

From June 22, 2014

Behind the house
From June 22, 2014

Comments (8)