Return to the New England Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost clematis & my favorite rose

Posted by Sami56 Central Mass (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 22:07

Just venting, I have / had two autumn clematis Sweet William one covered the chicken's run and one covering the pergola on the deck- neither one is greening up, No idea what happened was it the long snowy winter the cold wet spring?. I had the same pruning/ fertilizer schedule for years.
Lost my Mr Lincoln rose to a fungal disease, boohoo!
oh well makes more room for new plants, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost clematis & my favorite rose

Sweet autumn clematis is fully hardy, so it wasn't the cold, and I didn't lose any clematis to the wet spring, though my soil drains well. If you had standing water for too long or have poor drainage that left the soil fully saturated for a long time, it might have done them in.

In my garden, the cause of clematis disappearing over the winter has been voles eating the roots. If you push gently over the area where the clematis roots were, you may find that there is a tunnel there. I have started planting my clematis in hardware cloth cages.

Regardless, my sympathies on losing plants you enjoyed.

o

I have enough sweet autumn clematis to cover your chicken run, your pergola, your garage, your house, and your neighbors homes too. If you're coming to the Cape anytime soon, let me know, and I'll pot up a couple of dozen of them for you, instead of spraying them with vinegar. Of course these are no-name plants - although I bought the first one from White Flower Farm (before I knew how they behaved in zone 7). Is Sweet William a particularly nice variety? If so, you have my sympathy - not that the 'plain' ones aren't nice when they bloom.

Gee, if voles can do them in, maybe I'll try to stop my dog from hunting them - she's pretty effective.

o

Thanks for the kind words, definitely not a drainage issue, they were young plants 6-10 years old-- we have a terrible chipmunk invasion since my chow mix is gone- she chased those things into the drainpipe extension, dislodged it and rolled them the around the yard LOL how I miss her! I think Sweet Willism is a nice plant, had one back home in PA that just about encircled the plant, that's why I planted them to cover up the out buildings here. I'll check out for tunnels, thanks again! Next beach day, I' ll stop by for those clematis!

o

Sorry to hear about your losses, Sami. Sounds like a lot of chipmunks. Your chow mix sounds pretty funny. I've been babysitting our son's dog and amazed at not seeing a chipmunk this year. Maybe you will decide to bring another dog into your life soon? :-)

o

Sami,

If your Sweet Autumn Clematis had very thick stems at the base, you might have been a victim of borers. Check for small holes in the stems about a foot or higher from the soil level.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New England Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here