Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gemini40_gw

yellow impatients

gemini40
17 years ago

As I was busy driving down the highway today one of the local nurseries had a big sign out front that said " At Last Yellow Impatients".There was no time to stop today but I will go there on friday and check it out.Bought some zinnias the other day and noticed one or two of the plants had some leaves that didn't look healthy, kind on chewed and some blackening on them.I sprayed them with Safer insect spray..hope it does the job.This is my first time planting zinnia..anything else I should know about this plant?

Comments (6)

• mskee
    17 years ago

Gemini,
    I'll bet this is one of the new, exotic "fusion" impatiens series. Little different shape of the blossom, and the plants are more sprawling than compact. I bought the apricot variety last year and this year. It was a good performer, in part shade.
    Try cutting those chewed, blackening leaves off the zinnia plant. They could be just stressed from living in the 6-packs at the nurseries...not necessarily a bug infestation. Good luck!

• gemini40
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Stopped by to check out the yellow impatient today.It is not your regular looking impatient plant.It is a little bushier and taller, however the flower bud was a yellow, not vibrant but more of a milky yellow. So perhaps it is the type you've seen called fusion variety.

• martieinct
    17 years ago

"Fusions" are really easy to overwinter by cuttings. I've had a red one going for a few years and this year the yellow and salmon colored have been added. Actually like them in the ground rather than the "regular" impatiens. They seem to hold their form and flowering much better.

As for zinnias ... powdery mildew is a problem with greenhouse grown zinnias. Remove the spent leaves, give'm plenty of breathing room, and pinch back to promote fullness. Deadheading is an absolute must.

Next year, do your zinnias from seed. The plants don't like transplanting much and you'll end up with a better stand and far more choices than nursery grown plants.

Enjoy!

Martie

• mskee
    17 years ago

Marie,
    Thanks for the tip on overwintering the fusions! It will save me a penny or two next year. Do you root the cuttings in water or soil mix?
    Emily

• mskee
    17 years ago

I meant "Martie," not "Marie!"

• martieinct
    17 years ago

I do most soft stemmed cuttings the same way:

Let them sit in willow water overnight and then plant in seed-starting mix in a flat. Use dilute willow water to keep them moist.

Once they take I put'em in 4" pots with good container mix. Then I use regular water with a splash of willow water every few weeks to keep the roots going.

I've noticed that these impatiens, like fushia, want to dry out a bit -- not droopy but darn close -- between waterings in the container, and definitely like to be chilled to set buds the first time.

Hey -- you've got nothing to lose if you try :-)!! And, my guess is by next year it'll be more than a few pennies savings.....

Martie